Anyone used a Century Arms RAS47 AK?

Ronald_55

I have one of the Magpul MOE models. It is a solid gun, shoots where I aim it. I haven't run thousands of rounds through it (probably just a couple hundred.)

There was some talk about the trunion or such cracking after heavy use. I don't recall exactly.

There are other guns with a lot less problems.

You might get a good one and it will last awhile or you might get one that will fall apart of blow up on the first round. Google RAS47 cast trunion to see the destruction. They have soft trunion, soft carriers and soft bolts.

Honestly, I have yet to find an American made or built AK that does not have some sort of problem. The ONLY reason to have an American made AK is if you are going to run a silencer, that is it. The ComBlock countries have been building and perfecting the AK for what 70 years now and an American company can come along and do better after a couple of years, I think not. We are great at a lot of things but AKs are not one of them things.

If you are ever in the Knoxville area you are more than welcome to come and handle any of my AKs before you buy.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

You might get a good one and it will last awhile or you might get one that will fall apart of blow up on the first round. Google RAS47 cast trunion to see the destruction. They have soft trunion, soft carriers and soft bolts.

Honestly, I have yet to find an American made or built AK that does not have some sort of problem. The ONLY reason to have an American made AK is if you are going to run a silencer, that is it. The ComBlock countries have been building and perfecting the AK for what 70 years now and an American company can come along and do better after a couple of years, I think not. We are great at a lot of things but AKs are not one of them things.

If you are ever in the Knoxville area you are more than welcome to come and handle any of my AKs before you buy.

Thanks, buddy. I knew that information like that would carry more weight coming from you than from me.

On 8/26/2017 at 8:19 AM, Dolomite_supafly said:

@Dolomite

Thanks for the info. Somehow I thought I replied to your post the other day. Any specific ones that you can recommend that are moderately priced? I am just wanting to add one to the stable, but I don't need anything collectible, just reliable. I have been toying with picking this up and picking up a 9mm Glock mag AR pistol. 

The best "budget" AK is a current production WASR. If the serial number on the trunion doesn't end with a four digit year, walk away. 

I have bought about 10 Romanian guns in the last 5 years and have had one that needed to go back for a canted trunion. They rest have zeroes perfectly with the front sight pretty much centered. 

WASRs are 100% combloc made. Century just mills out the magwell and swap in 922r compliance parts. It had a hammer forged, chrome lined bore. Battle Las Vegas, who rents machine guns, has said WASR barrels last longer than any other barrel. They say the bullets are still not keyholing at 90K rounds. 

The drawback to a WASR is the muzzle threads are rarely concentric which makes using a silencer problematic. 

No soft carrier issues either, like the RAS. All AKM/AK47 furniture fit. 

I wish the current production WASRs were named something else. They are fighting the problems of the junk WASRs from a decade ago. Had they named it something else it would be the best selling AK because current production quality is as high as any other AK under $1,000, for 1/3 less. 

But no matter what AK you end up with NEVER use a Tapco hammer. They contribute to premature wear on the tail of the bolt carrier, especially if soft. You can reprofile them and it helps but they are too hard and can damage the bolt carrier. 

Most combloc hammers are soft so they get damaged before the more expensive bolt carrier. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Dolomite_supafly said:

The best "budget" AK is a current production WASR. If the serial number on the trunion doesn't end with a four digit year, walk away. 

I have bought about 10 Romanian guns in the last 5 years and have had one that needed to go back for a canted trunion. They rest have zeroes perfectly with the front sight pretty much centered. 

WASRs are 100% combloc made. Century just mills out the magwell and swap in 922r compliance parts. It had a hammer forged, chrome lined bore. Battle Las Vegas, who rents machine guns, has said WASR barrels last longer than any other barrel. They say the bullets are still not keyholing at 90K rounds. 

The drawback to a WASR is the muzzle threads are rarely concentric which makes using a silencer problematic. 

I wish the current production WASRs were named something else. They are fighting the problems of the junk WASRs from a decade ago. Had they named it something else it would be the best selling AK because current production quality is as high as any other AK under $1,000, for 1/3 less. 

But no matter what AK you end up with NEVER use a Tapco hammer. They contribute to premature wear on the tail of the bolt carrier, especially if soft. You can reprofile them and it helps but they are too hard and can damage the bolt carrier. 

Most combloc hammers are soft so they get damaged before the more expensive bolt carrier. 

Just as an example, so is this the way you see the 2 digit year that you talk about? This one looks to end in -16 I am afraid that I am probably going to be online shopping to get one. I don't see them come up for sale locally much. Well not at competitive prices. I will have to look around at some stores too though.

wasr-sn.jpg.9707ad3ba0ca5d00304f357bbea7d7d8.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/28/2017 at 1:23 PM, Dolomite_supafly said:

Bought a WASR 10 today, serial number ending in a -13. Figured it meant 2013, also has a Tapco G2 trigger in it. Will the trigger group  be a problem down the road?