Hummingbirds!!!!

bersaguy

16 hours ago, Tuffus said:

I'll be keeping mine out for awhile too for all the passers by

that haven't gotten this far south yet

I am thinking it may be sooner than later that they will be leaving for yet another year. I was talking with a farmer in TSC yesterday and he said his wife has probably 25 feeders up and it keeps her busy and he was in TSC to see if they had put their feeders on sale yet cause he is going to get her some new ones. He said they were talking at the dinner table last evening and she told him that the birds are getting ready to leave because they are sharing the feeders without fussing and she had seen 2 or 3 birds on each feeder at the same time and that usually means they are feeding up to leave. I seen it happen in the past but never paid much attention to the fact that shortly after they were gone. Going to watch this year cause most of yesterday the birds here were sharing feeders and they are this morning too. Gonna see if they leave soon.

1 hour ago, seez52 said:

ours have been much better at sharing the last week or so.

Yea and I am thinking Mother Nature is telling them time is close so I think they are all feeding up to get ready to leave everyone needs to make sure they keep at least 1 or 2 feeders up till at least the first frost for the late migrating birds that may have stopped at your feeders on the trip up last Spring cause they will be looking for them on their way back South.............JMHO

• Like 1
17 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

Mine are still in the "my feeder" mode. I put out a couple additional feeders so more of them could fill up.

I think about 1/2 or more of my birds have left this morning as I have only got about 10 birds now and they are all sharing feeders so I am guessing they are also getting ready to migrate.

Well, I guess they are gone!! I have been watching all day to see if I have any left and have not had a bird all day that I have seen. I will leave all my feeders up for about 1 more week and then I will down size to 3 feeders and keep them with fresh food till the first frost for travelers going south. Time to begin getting ready for my winter birds and squirrels. A buddy of mine told me his Oak tree is full of big acorns this year so I will be taking my shop vac up to his place and load up the acorns on his driveway, deck, patio and sidewalks. He didn't have any last year for some reason. First time in years his tree did not produce. Year before last I got about 100 lbs from his place. I take those and mix them in with 50 lbs of kernel Corn in a 35 gallon galvinized trash can and then I put 100 lbs of wild bird seed in another can  and I am normally good for most of the winter depending on how many critters I get. Last year I had to buy extra bird seed because I had a very big flock of Doves that showed up and I put some food down in my crush&run gravel drive way for my Cardinals and other ground feeder birds that don't feed on the tube feeders. It started out with like 3 doves and inside of a week it was about 20 and they stayed all winter. I don't know why I thought Doves migrated further south but I guess not....................:cheers: