Nylon 66 twilight zone?

seez52

Was passing through St. Louis last week and decided to stop by Cabelas. Not looking for anything, but was just a nice detour. Wandered over to the used gun rack and saw 4 Nylon 66s and could not believe the price tag. I mean, yeah I know it's Cabelas, but dang, what alternate universe am I in? They had two with this price, and they looked brand new. The other two showed some usage but were still priced at half this. Wow, could not believe it.

nylon 66.jpg

5 minutes ago, seez52 said:

Was passing through St. Louis last week and decided to stop by Cabelas. Not looking for anything, but was just a nice detour. Wandered over to the used gun rack and saw 4 Nylon 66s and could not believe the price tag. I mean, yeah I know it's Cabelas, but dang, what alternate universe am I in? They had two with this price, and they looked brand new. The other two showed some usage but were still priced at half this. Wow, could not believe it.

nylon 66.jpg

They are definately proud to have them and my guess is they don't really want to sell them. I use to have one of them back in the 60's and also had an old Revelation from Western Auto my grandfather gave me. I went squirrel hunting with the Nylon and could not get a squirrel with it. Try using it a couple times without success. Went to the Revelation and came home with squirrels every time. I bought 2 new boxes of 22 lr and went out by the barn and put up aluminum pie pans at about 75 feet and shot 14 rounds from the Nylon and 14 rounds from the Revelation. Group from Nylon was all over the pan and even had a few misses of the pan. Group in the Revelation was about 6 inches with multiple hits in close to same holes. I tried adjusting the sites on the Nylon several times but still got same response. I ask my grandfather what he thought might be wrong and he said probably something in the rifeling in the barrel. Don't know what ever happened to it. I went in service and when I came home it was gone.

Cabela's can be rough on used pricing, but you can haggle price with them. I am sure it differs as to how much in relation to the person over the library. I was at the Bristol one a while back and they had a $35 20GA shotgun. I almost bought it, but it would not latch closed good. I do not need another project even for $35. Normally though you can go buy the new one of current guns a few feet away for just a bit more. 

Surprisingly I just searched and found many with asking prices half that and slightly more for ones with some use on them.  I found several 70's vintage new in box with upwards of $1000.00 and more in many places.  I never would have thought it.

With prices like this I don't know why Remington doesn't re-issue a batch. Back in the day nobody liked them. I remember working for a distributor and we always had them sitting on the shelf in the box, couldn't sell them.  It had a "plastic" stock, whood want a gun with a plastic stock? HA

Edited by seez52

First rifle i bought just out of HS $60.00 new and hardware store let me pay monthly. Would handle hi-speed and standard ammo and never had a jam. Gun was dead on and would

shoot dime size group at 25 yards. Got many tree rats with head shots and a few crows at 100 yards,and better when I had cash to scope it. a few years back I traded it for a Ruger

10-22 big mistake,would outshoot Ruger all day. Ruger is now a lot better with factory drop in trigger.

Weird… I looked on GB to see what these actually brought. There were some with $700 starting bid that never got a bid, and there were some with $100 starting bid that never got a bid. Looks like they have sold for as low as $196 and as high as $660.

They made over a million of them and they were made until 1989. Not really collectable.

If they made it today it would have to cost less than the 597; not sure that’s possible. :)

3 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Weird… I looked on GB to see what these actually brought. There were some with $700 starting bid that never got a bid, and there were some with $100 starting bid that never got a bid. Looks like they have sold for as low as $196 and as high as $660.

They made over a million of them and they were made until 1989. Not really collectable.

If they made it today it would have to cost less than the 597; not sure that’s possible. :)

Yes, I looked too. It was enough to make me forgo any thoughts of finding one easily. Don't really need one. I got 10/22s that I don't shoot now. lol

But the bug doesn't care...it just say I want one.

The Nylon 66 is very collectible and has a huge following. They're great little rifles, but will never be made again. They have a very complex mechanism with lots of little, small parts. Good rifles, but don't EVER take it apart. :eek:

Some years ago a friend brought me one in a box. Years before, his Dad had taken it apart to clean it, but never could get it back together. It had been sitting the back of a closet in pieces for years. Took me the better part of two days of studying parts diagrams just to figure out what was missing. Then once the parts came, it took almost three days of fussin' and cussin' to get it back together. :wall:

I took it to the range to test fire and it worked like a charm. Never missed a beat and shot quarter sized groups at 25 yards off hand. It drew a good bit of attention too. One guy wanted to buy it right then.  I gave it back to my friend who was plumb tickled pink that I got Dad's old rifle working again. :up:  

I am more shocked by you guys that didn't realize the N66 series had a following than I am the sticker price the OP posted :)

As stated by GrayFox they have quite the following and if you are in doubt next time you are at a show ask someone that has one for sale :bowrofl:

Like many others in this thread I don't see the fuss. I've always thought of that ugly stock as something more worthy of propping the cattle gate open out at the barn than I would on any gun but years of collecting (and living) has taught me to never judge a book by its hideous cover.

There's one local collector that has them stacked like firewood in his safe and will still pick up one if the price is fair.

I had wanted one as a young boy but never had the funds. Growing up in the hills of Va. there wasn't a lot of spare cash. I remember the ads in all the hunting and fishing mags of the day. Had found several at gun shows over the years but all had broken stocks and was priced higher than I wanted to give. A few month ago I found one for sale about an hour from me. It was in like new condition and the price was fair. So long story short a young boys dream came true 50 yrs. later.

28 minutes ago, seez52 said:

that's good to know, I was thinking about taking mine apart for a good cleaning. Haven't cleaned it before, no point in starting now.

If I can remember properly back when  got mine new in the box the instructions said not to disassemble but just oil ever so often and enjoy shooting it.

• Like 1