44 Mag or 45 LC for a field gun

I would say go with .44 for versatility from a platform standpoint.  Both are extremely versatile calibers but the Smith is a stronger gun.  While .45 Colt can be loaded to exceed .44 Magnum, the Vaquero is not the pistol to do it with.

Edit:  As you said it was an old large frame Vaq it might be about even from a practical standpoint.  Weren't those built on Blackhawk frames?

BTW, the .44 Magnum was originally invented due to the lack of versatility in the .45 Colt from a component and overall strength standpoint.

Which one do you shoot better?  Either one will stop what you need stopped.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

If you are handloading and have guns that will handle max loads, it's truly six of one, half dozen of the other. One is a .429" bullet and the other is a .454"

You can load from 700fps on up with either cartridge. 

In this case, id let the single vs double action or barrel length be the deciding factor. Or if you have multiple guns in either caliber.

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

I would say go with .44 for versatility from a platform standpoint.  Both are extremely versatile calibers but the Smith is a stronger gun.  While .45 Colt can be loaded to exceed .44 Magnum, the Vaquero is not the pistol to do it with.

Edit:  As you said it was an old large frame Vaq it might be about even from a practical standpoint.  Weren't those built on Blackhawk frames?

BTW, the .44 Magnum was originally invented due to the lack of versatility in the .45 Colt from a component and overall strength standpoint.

Which one do you shoot better?  Either one will stop what you need stopped.

They were. The old ones have the larger blackhawk frame where as the new models have the smaller more SAA Colt like frame.

I shoot the smith better because the trigger pulls are so sweet.  I'll have to get dies and components for either one so I wanting to get set up for a good overall field gun  that I could press into service for just about anything......kinda like a 308 but in a handgun. Might be overkill for say deer but works for everything under elk as far as a rifle goes.

I looked at the buffalo bullets offerings and their "deer grenade" works in a Smith and that's a pretty hot high end load.

• Like 1

http://www.sixguns.com/range/elmersloads.htm

.45 COLT: Keith's early load was an extremely powerful 22.0 grains of #2400 again in balloon head cases. This was dropped to 20.0 grains and then to 18.5 grains in modern brass with all loads using the 260 grain #454424 Keith bullet. This is a 1150+ fps load and should be used only in modern .45 Colts. When the Ruger .45 Colt Blackhawk came along, Elmer upped the charge to 20.0 grains of #2400 again for nearly 1250 fps from a 7 1/2" barrel.

-44 MAGNUM: Keith early settled on 22.0 grains of #2400 with his #429421 bullet for 1225 fps. out of a 4" Smith, 1400+ fps out of a 6 1/2" Smith or 7 1/2" Ruger. These are hunting handloads pure and simple, with this load taking big game all over the world.

Speed and big fat boolit will do the job every time. I cast and reload both, I would go with the 44 mag only because, well, it is a 44 MAG!!!

I've carried em all and shot em all... The old Ruger Blackhawk will be lighter if it's a 4 5/8 barrel, and just as powerful (...if you handload...)... As others have said, it's 6 one way and half a dozen the other.. Pick the one ya feel the most comfortable with... That's the one to use...

Have fun...

leroy

• 1 month later...

There are 5 boxes of 44 magnum on shelves for every box of 45 colt. Mostly I see either Cowboy action lead stuff or 25 round boxes of defense stuff for Judges and Governor's. Another thing that I recently learned is if you have an older set of steel dies for a 45 Colt you better take care of them. The newer carbide stuff does not size correctly like the older ones do.    

Edited by Sunfish