Does anyone here fly Paramotors

MudBugjr

I had to look that up to make sure what it was. I saw some people doing that about 20 years ago and wanted to do it bad. That is until I saw the price to get geared up and actually flying. Looking back, I wish now I had. It's way out of my budget now though. Good luck though.

• Admin Team

I feel like some of the rule changes over the last few years - both in where you can fly and how you can get trained has made it hard to fly.  

Have they changed rules so that someone else can ride in an experimental aircraft?

Paramotors are pretty safe, but a lot of people would still be nervous learning without an instructor alongside.  

3 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I feel like some of the rule changes over the last few years - both in where you can fly and how you can get trained has made it hard to fly.  

Have they changed rules so that someone else can ride in an experimental aircraft?

Paramotors are pretty safe, but a lot of people would still be nervous learning without an instructor alongside.  

I don't know about paramotors, but the FAA has approved a few instructors to give instruction in experimental aircraft.  A good example is the Van's Aircraft series of planes, there are currently about 3 or 4 instructors who can give transition training in different models of the series.  Insurance can be a problem, and probably limits the number of instructors more so than the FAA at this point ...

I see you are in Tullahoma. Went to the Beechcraft Heritage Museum there and if you have not bothered to go see it then I highly recommend it. Very interesting displays and lots to look at. Used to fly fixed wing years ago. Cessna and Pipers.

15 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Yep. 

14 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

I've always thought that would be fun. I've never flown one though. What kind of range do they typically have?

And yep. 

I would so love to fly. It's just too damn expensive. 

As of today I have acquired all the equipment I need. I have a group of guys that has an instructor among them that I purchased equipment from who is going to train me. Which is saving me some money for sure. It isn't the cheapest thing to do but cheaper than most ways to get in the sky for sure!

As you are heading into Bellevue on Hwy 100, right after you cross the Harpeth River, the first house on your right is where that paramotorer lives. At least that is where he takes off and lands from. He uses the field behind the house. I have seen him take off and land there a couple of times in the last week or two. 

17 hours ago, MudBugjr said:

As of today I have acquired all the equipment I need. I have a group of guys that has an instructor among them that I purchased equipment from who is going to train me. Which is saving me some money for sure. It isn't the cheapest thing to do but cheaper than most ways to get in the sky for sure!

I'm guessing that your going the backpack ultra-light route and not the Light Sport paramotor trike. Neither of them are much fun in very much wind FWIW

I actually have both the motor for foot launch and a light air trike that I can attach it to as well. When my knee won't allow for the foot launch. More experience more wind you can fly in. Best time for a newbie is evenings and early morning which for me will be a nice peaceful time to fly. Sunrise and sunset for now.

• Like 1