Hoping for a better deer season

Last year was really bad. Wildfires all over with absolutely no water to be found on my lease. I don't know where the deer were drinking. The smoke was so bad, even during muzzle loader and the first few weeks of rifle season, that I had to leave because of the strong smell of smoke. I managed one spike last year, but I'm hoping for a much better season. Won't be long! 

• Like 2

Wishing you the best of luck! I'm so pumped about season starting soon. Went to a friends house to visit in Franklin yesterday and watched deer bouncing and playing in the back yard. One NICE main frame 8 was already wearing hard horn, I was surprised this early. But the cool air and watching them had my heart racing like I was in the stand already 

• Like 2

I hope you have a better season this year. I know a lot of folks had tough seasons that lived up east. My Son and Grandsons all had good hunts last year and I got 2 deer from them for my freezer. They have told me they will at least 2 or maybe three for me this year as they ahve been checking trail cams and say that the food plots are showing quit a few nice deer on my Sons property.  

• Like 2

I can't complain too much about last season. It was my first ever deer season and I put one in the freezer. I am anxious this season about having a place to hunt but at the same time I have seen 2 sizable 8 pointers among others right behind my house. So maybe I can get at least one in the freezer again this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Talked to Grandson yesterday and he said that acoording to the 6 trail cams he has up over looking the food plots they have out on my sons place he has counted as many as 27 deer feeding on the plots at one time with 5 of them being 8 point's or bigger and several smaller bucks. He also said the Persimmon trees are going to be producing this year also that they planted 5 years ago. He clears the cameras each trip and next time their are deer in each one so they don't seem to be going any place. The stands from last year are still up so when season begins nothing for have to change. I told him that as far as I'm concerned I would rather have smaller deer so if he is shooting for my meat take 4 points or Spikes and when Doe opens I would like a couple Does also. He said he does not see a problem with it. He wants me to come down and saty one night and get up and go with them 1 time. He told me I can use "MY" Old 30/30 and the scope is still dead onand he has one stand I would be able to get in with no problems. I'm still pondering over it.

Edited by bersaguy

Randall, my season didn't go good last year either. I'm was working a lot (and still am) and  didn't have a lot of time to hunt and one of my neighbors has a lot of dogs. Anyway I think I saw more dogs than deer. I went home mad a lot. Good luck to everyone this time.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My season was about the worst last year. I took a vacation during opening week of rifle. Went out opening morning and I was covered up in deer for the first few hours. I was thinking that this was going to be fantastic, and that I would wait until I could get a couple of nice bucks, then start hammering does. Right after opening morning - straight up nocturnal from then on out. I HOPE it doesn't go that way this year.

My strategy is to take the first deer I see (no spots), then get selective.  This year I've been asked to harvest one for a couple friends, and I take one, so that gives me three opportunities. I have salt blocks out, and a new stand was finished in plenty of time, so hoping I get a few going through my place.

Here's to wishing all the big game hunters a great season and what happened at my house this morning.

I went out to feed and water the dogs as I do every morning and it's not unusual to occasionally see one or two of something like a small buck, a doe, some yearlings, turkey, rabbits, an owl, raccoons, opossum, well just about anything but black panthers and bears so far.  As I walked out the back door this morning a doe was grazing and about that time a small 6 point buck walked out so I just watched.  Then and 8 point buck walked out and then another really nice heavy 8 point buck.  Well I reached for my phone to take a picture and I didn't have it so I went back to get it.  I was only able to get a picture of the 4th by himself  and the last 3.  7 bucks in all trailing 1 doe.  I was in a rush and the pictures are horrible but you can tell what they are.

And for those wondering, my land is posted and my neighbor is the DA!

N9KWKkc.jpg4UQFMRG.jpg

FYI

I don't know if this is related but in some ways I think it is. Most folks have stated they had a terrible deer season last year. I'm sure some of you folks know I make and sell soft plastic fishing baits and I am a member of two large fishing sites which I have many angler/customers on them that order baits from me. As I have had a very very poor bait business year and spoke with many anglers that have said they had the worst fishing season they have had in many years is why they have not been ordering baits this year. Now this may just be coincedence that the deer season was bad and the fishing season was also bad. That is possible. It could also be possible that the Climate Change that we all are seeing may also be having some effect on wild life of al kinds whether it be deer or fish. I have even spoke witha few farmers that are friends of mine that have mentioned that their cows have not born as many calves as they have in past years. Look at all the Hurricans that are lining up in the Atlantic at present plus the ones that have already hit when last year I think their was 1 or 2 and thr weather people said we must have dodged a Hurricane season last year. Could all of this be connected? I have n clue but might be something to think about. Mother Nature has it's way of taking care of it's own creatures big and small and maybe we are not smart enough to keep up with what she is doing???????...............JMHO

Here's my take and you can take it for what it's worth.  All these events taking place on the third rock from the sun are interrelated.  Almost everything depends on the action or lack of something else and so therefore all these things are cyclical and there will be peaks and valleys.  Just so happens we get the pleasure of living during the time of a peak in delirious nut balls.

PS - In no way am I implying or intending to suggest that anyone here is a nut ball. 

1 hour ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

Here's to wishing all the big game hunters a great season and what happened at my house this morning.

I went out to feed and water the dogs as I do every morning and it's not unusual to occasionally see one or two of something like a small buck, a doe, some yearlings, turkey, rabbits, an owl, raccoons, opossum, well just about anything but black panthers and bears so far.  As I walked out the back door this morning a doe was grazing and about that time a small 6 point buck walked out so I just watched.  Then and 8 point buck walked out and then another really nice heavy 8 point buck.  Well I reached for my phone to take a picture and I didn't have it so I went back to get it.  I was only able to get a picture of the 4th by himself  and the last 3.  7 bucks in all trailing 1 doe.  I was in a rush and the pictures are horrible but you can tell what they are.

N9KWKkc.jpg4UQFMRG.jpg

FYI

You have a serious infestation problem, I suggest you have a few of us take care of that for you. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Omega said:

You have a serious infestation problem, I suggest you have a few of us take care of that for you.

53 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

That just means we need your permission.....

Thanks for all the support.  I'm going to give this a go alone and maybe a son or two and if I need reinforcements this will be my go to place! :dirty:

• Like 1
7 hours ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

N9KWKkc.jpg4UQFMRG.jpg

FYI

Nice!! And look at those huge turkey legs hanging out of the tree!!! 

:lol: