AK Build Fun

gjohnsoniv

Started on an AK last night with my neighbor.  Got almost everything finished except for some pinning. Now time to finish up my couple that have been sitting around...

Looks like my photo didn't upload. Picture tonight. 

Edited by gjohnsoniv
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, shotgunshooter said:

Awesome. This definitely seems like a thread which will be full of pictures. Any chance of you making a video on what you need and a how to?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Video no, but I can put up a list and pictures of what I have and how to do it. Hopefully some more experienced will also hop in for anything I'd miss plus any other details. 

• Like 1

^That one still needs some work so I can't do pictures now but I have my personal Romanian to do, an RPK, and some form of a mutt build so there will be plenty of pictures of the build process.

So far as tools a press is a given, I have the Harbor Freight 12 ton.  Great? Not really but it works.  It's slightly wobbly and that makes me really nervous because I've seen lots of things come flying out of presses, and a guy catch part of a press plate with his face.  Best solution is shims or just square it all up and weld some things to take the slop out.  Anyway that was just an aside.

Outside of that I'd really, really recommend the AK Builder tools.  Riveting jig, trigger rivet jig, and barrel press kit.  Robert Forbus also makes really nice AK build tools like populating tools and barrel press out jig, recommended for when you do the head space.  Also headspace gauges, those are critical.

• Like 2
^That one still needs some work so I can't do pictures now but I have my personal Romanian to do, an RPK, and some form of a mutt build so there will be plenty of pictures of the build process.
So far as tools a press is a given, I have the Harbor Freight 12 ton.  Great? Not really but it works.  It's slightly wobbly and that makes me really nervous because I've seen lots of things come flying out of presses, and a guy catch part of a press plate with his face.  Best solution is shims or just square it all up and weld some things to take the slop out.  Anyway that was just an aside.
Outside of that I'd really, really recommend the AK Builder tools.  Riveting jig, trigger rivet jig, and barrel press kit.  Robert Forbus also makes really nice AK build tools like populating tools and barrel press out jig, recommended for when you do the head space.  Also headspace gauges, those are critical.
Is the mutt going to be a Khyber build?

1 minute ago, shotgunshooter said:

Is the mutt going to be a Khyber build?

That would probably be the best description.  Bulgarian triangle. Bulgarian FSP with threads, ak 74 brake, probably Romy parts kit for the guts.  Bring the FSP back as far as I can go with the pinned brake and be legal.

• Like 1

Awesome! I still have my Polish underfolder to build. i am pretty much ready to get started on it. I may get started tomorrow actually. I have access to a 20 ton press and have the Toth tool to squeeze most of the rivets. I just got the headspace gauges last week. I've also been trying to get the proper finish on the receiver... I want it to match the original finish of the other parts.

My biggest concern is lining up the barrel, drilling for the pin and populating the barrel and actually get it all ALIGNED :nervous:

I'll be learning something from this thread!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

Awesome! I still have my Polish underfolder to build. i am pretty much ready to get started on it. I may get started tomorrow actually. I have access to a 20 ton press and have the Toth tool to squeeze most of the rivets. I just got the headspace gauges last week. I've also been trying to get the proper finish on the receiver... I want it to match the original finish of the other parts.

My biggest concern is lining up the barrel, drilling for the pin and populating the barrel and actually get it all ALIGNED :nervous:

I'll be learning something from this thread!

The barrel alignment is concerning but it's something I think you just have to do.  What I did is take a straight edge and line it up on the front trunnion and then on the handguard retainer to make sure that it's relatively square. There's some play in the retainer so it only gets you so far but whatever.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, seez52 said:

built several back in the day, 5 years or so ago. The HF presses work fine. Mine was wobbly as well and would not hold square so I set it with a carpenters square then welded it solid. Worked great ever since.

Glad to see I'm not out of line on wanting to weld it up. 

1 hour ago, peejman said:

Be careful and inspect closely. Welding poor quality castings can yield a spider web of cracks. 

The frame is just big channel so I'm not that worried. Biggest thing is there is a sizeable gap between the vertical posts and the horizontal cross member. Realistically it could likely be taken care of with some washers, but I just don't like that approach. 

• Like 1