Hang on and sticks info

So I'm looking at getting my first hang on stand. I've been reading and watching tons of reviews and usage information by owners. Where I'm at is Mellenium m100u and Hawk Helium climbing sticks. Anyone use either with more feedback? If you haven't looked at the Hawk sticks, they have steps on both sides at each step location and are pretty neat! Millennium stands are well loved so I'm happy with that decision. 

• Like 1

Have a Millennium Monser hang on and use Muddy Sticks. I haven't seen a pic of the hawk sticks, but from what you described they sound like the Muddy sticks that don't alternate steps but have them on both sides of the stick. That makes it easier when you are up there hanging around and installing the stand. Go ahead and factor in some sort of bow/gear holder arm as well as screw in hook where you can take the weight of the stand off you when you pull it up by a rope. Also buy a Hunter's Saftey System Lifeline rope as well. You'll be safe from falling from the moment your foot leaves the ground and all the way up. 

3 minutes ago, Slappy said:

Have a Millennium Monser hang on and use Muddy Sticks. I haven't seen a pic of the hawk sticks, but from what you described they sound like the Muddy sticks that don't alternate steps but have them on both sides of the stick. That makes it easier when you are up there hanging around and installing the stand. Go ahead and factor in some sort of bow/gear holder arm as well as screw in hook where you can take the weight of the stand off you when you pull it up by a rope. Also buy a Hunter's Saftey System Lifeline rope as well. You'll be safe from falling from the moment your foot leaves the ground and all the way up. 

I like the Monster a lot too but was looking  at the weight difference and was leaning toward the M100U for that. I've never used a hang on but heard a lot of people say that about the hook to help pull the stand up. I have a couple HSS Lifeline's, they are nice! I had another one but some piece of sewer trash cut one I had on a ladder stand last year. But I will definitely use one for this setup! Thanks for the input Slappy :cheers:

• Like 1

Youll have a nice setup for sure! Weight matters when you are trying to hang it or tear it down. Also matters if you have to backpack your stand and sticks in frequently. But....once it's up, the more comfortable you are in your stand, the longer you'll be able to hunt. 

I am working on relocating my Millenium currently. So here's a story about how dumb I am. Connected to Lifeline. Climed sticks up to the stand. Disconnected the straps to the stand and lowered it down. Started to climb down and disconnect the first (highest) stick and realized my Lifeline was still connected to the tree....and because I already took the stand off, there's no way I could reach it! So I had to take my blanket and go home. I've got some other sticks that I can attach to climb up high enough to retrieve my Lifeline but ran out of time! Doh!!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Slappy said:

Youll have a nice setup for sure! Weight matters when you are trying to hang it or tear it down. Also matters if you have to backpack your stand and sticks in frequently. But....once it's up, the more comfortable you are in your stand, the longer you'll be able to hunt. 

I am working on relocating my Millenium currently. So here's a story about how dumb I am. Connected to Lifeline. Climed sticks up to the stand. Disconnected the straps to the stand and lowered it down. Started to climb down and disconnect the first (highest) stick and realized my Lifeline was still connected to the tree....and because I already took the stand off, there's no way I could reach it! So I had to take my blanket and go home. I've got some other sticks that I can attach to climb up high enough to retrieve my Lifeline but ran out of time! Doh!!

Man, that sounds like the stuff I imagine myself doing since I'll be figuring all this out my first few times in the woods with it! 

I don't know if you've heard of them or not, but the Stepp Ladder is another option I really want to try! I will get some by next year but Bass Pro has their 4 pay option right now  so I went with the Hawk for design and height attainable by supplied steps.

But check  these out

Just now, Slappy said:

Those are neat! I like how simple they are. No bolts, screws or washers. i can't wait till the season opens. I still got work to do though! 

Good luck getting everything ready. It can  be a pain, but I started earlier this year than I usually do  so I'm in pretty good shape. I just got a Field & Stream Outpost XL 17ft ladder stand a month ago. I really like it, extremely comfortable, flip up seat, foot rest, and went  together pretty easily. All that stuff is ready, cameras running, and these cool mornings have my heart racing already for season.

There are advantages to hang on's with sticks.  You can hang them in some nasty (and crooked) trees offering great concealment.  They are also easy for one person to carry to a tree, if you are on a lease or some public land where you are not allowed permanent stands.  Also the sky is the limit with these stands as well, as long as you have enough sticks.  They have their limitations as well, such as comfort, and they are harder to get in and out of for sure.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, KahrMan said:

I have never been a fan of hang ons and climbing sticks. It might have something to do with my big gut and wide ass. 

I prefer ladder stands. A little easier for me to get in and out of and have more room when sitting. 

I've debated the same thing for a while. That's why I did so much reading on them. I have a Summit Viper SD and feel really safe in it as well as love the comfortable seat. But there are some trees that a lock on and sticks would be easier to get into, and have limbs covering me as well. I definitely wasn't interested in a small platform or skinny seat to save weight. I wanted a secure and comfortable stand. I'm 6' 225lbs so  some stands for a guy that weighs 160 won't be comfortable for me even if it's light weight for transportation. I'm excited to try it and think the part I'll like the least is stepping from sticks to platform and vice versa. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sunfish said:

It's easy enough to spook the deer just walking in. Even when its wet and going in way before daylight. Climbers are to noisy your better off with multiple ladder stands so you can sit in different spots depending on their movement

I love the simplicity of a ladder stand once it's up. Ease into them quietly and they are stable. This purchase is for mobility and reaching extended heights with comfort. My Summit is pretty quiet to climb with, but it still makes more noise than a ladder stand for sure  

I have a permanent stand, now that I have my little honey hole it's all I need.  But I still have a few other methods to hunt if I happen to hunt elsewhere.  I have a small lock-on with some screw-in steps that I really like, I used it for years until I broke an ankle and didn't feel comfortable using it anymore.  Then I got a climber, a bit on the heavy side but not unmanageable.  I was never not able to find a tree to use it on, and if I fell asleep I would not fall out of it, unlike my lock-on.  While they do make a little noise, I never failed to harvest deer with them.  I also have a ladder stand, but haven't used it yet, I got it to bow hunt out of but my shoulder has not allowed me to get the practice I need to have before the hunt.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Sunfish said:

It's easy enough to spook the deer just walking in. Even when its wet and going in way before daylight. Climbers are to noisy your better off with multiple ladder stands so you can sit in different spots depending on their movement

1 hour ago, rugerla1 said:

I love the simplicity of a ladder stand once it's up. Ease into them quietly and they are stable. This purchase is for mobility and reaching extended heights with comfort. My Summit is pretty quiet to climb with, but it still makes more noise than a ladder stand for sure  

I having been buying one ladder stand every year and adding it to a piece of property I hunt.  As of this coming weekend I will have have 5 ladder stands and a ground blind.  That pretty much covers the property.  It is defiantly more expensive doing it this way.  The nice thing is now, depending on weather, I can sneak into where ever I need to hunt without much noise.  

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, Slappy said:

Post up some pics when you get it setup! 

You already know I will. If I remember I will grab my GoPro and do a generic review video. I'm still figuring this video stuff out, they didn't teach this technology when I was in school:biglol: 

• 10 months later...
On 9/11/2017 at 1:57 PM, Slappy said:

Post up some pics when you get it setup! 

Well it appears deer season began and I didn’t remember to post pics like I said I would. I have to sign up with Imgur and I’ll get some on here. 

I ended up buying another set of Hawk Helium sticks last year. Glad I did because they’re manufactured seasonally! This year I bought a Hawk Helium XL hang on stand, a Lone Wolf Alpha II and a set of Lone Wolf climbing sticks. I’m really liking the hang on/sticks setups!

Macks Prarie Wing has Hawk Helium sticks in stock right now if you need more.  I bought a Millenium Monster from them on sale and got a really good deal, daved about $40.  Figured I'd give a hang on a try this year.  I got a set of Muddy Stagger steps too for those not so straight trees.  

• Like 1