.22 Markmanship in the Memphis Area

So my cousin's oldest son is in ROTC in a Memphis high school.  He excels in the marksmanship program using pellet rifles as that is all Memphis schools allow.

This young man would like to join the University of Memphis' rifle team after graduating HS but they only accept those who have pellet and .22 experience/qualification.

What can he do to get the .22 experience?  Are there any programs in the general area to get him up to speed?  

His best bet is a CMP or NRA Smallbore Compeition.  Most likely a 3P match.   I would call the University and ask if they know of local matches.  That is probably the best bet.  MSSA used to shoot Rimfire Benchrest, but I don't see any matches this year.  

As mentioned above, not sure of the financial situation, but none of these are cheap to do and require some travel most of the time.  

• Like 1

He could see if there are any ARA or ABRA matches in the area, or if he can travel some to these matches.  The "youth" shooters shoot for free ar ORSA ARA/ABRA matches, and some of the regular shooters might just "loan" him a rifle as the regulars usually bring more than one rifle.  He needs to attend one or more matches as a spectator, and ask questions, talk to the shooters and match director.  Getting young shooters involved in the sport is a good thing, and long timers usually recognize this and will help someone who is interested.

• Like 1

I just checked the MSSA Schedule for what they have. If he's in school he won't be able to get out there for the .22 Benchrest, (Wednesdays at 2:00) They do have a .22 Silhouette shoot on 9/17 at 9:00 (Sunday) He might be able to get some information from someone before they start shooting.

I think I found something: Won't hurt to give them a call.

Club Name: Chickasaw Council Marksmanship Team
Club Mailing Address: 1106 Wilmore Road 
Memphis, TN  38117
Range Address: Memphis, TN  
Email: Bsamarksmanship@aol.com
Club Type: Boy Scouts Counsel Troop or Crew
Phone: 9016852327
Membership: OPEN
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

I would imagine that an Appleseed event might not be a bad idea on several fronts. First of all, simply for the training. Second it seems like a good place to network with the instructors who are likely local and can help him find the local competitions/events/teams that would fit the bill for what he needs. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jpx2rk said:

He could see if there are any ARA or ABRA matches in the area, or if he can travel some to these matches.  The "youth" shooters shoot for free ar ORSA ARA/ABRA matches, and some of the regular shooters might just "loan" him a rifle as the regulars usually bring more than one rifle.  He needs to attend one or more matches as a spectator, and ask questions, talk to the shooters and match director.  Getting young shooters involved in the sport is a good thing, and long timers usually recognize this and will help someone who is interested.

I run the ARA match in Middle TN.  I don't believe Memphis is still doing their match.  

You are certainly correct in that most of us bring two guns to a match and would be glad to let a new shooter try them out.   One thing to note is that you are looking at $15-$18 per box of ammo used and they will most likely want you to use their ammo.  No CCI in these guns.  A 5 card match will take at minimum 5 boxes.  I just want to set some expectations about the cost.  It isn't a cheap endeavor.

On the note about junior shooters, Madison Reed whom is 14 just finished 7th overall at ARA Outdoor Nationals out of 100 competitors last weekend.  There are some good young shooters out there.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, Hozzie said:

I run the ARA match in Middle TN.  I don't believe Memphis is still doing their match.  

You are certainly correct in that most of us bring two guns to a match and would be glad to let a new shooter try them out.   One thing to note is that you are looking at $15-$18 per box of ammo used and they will most likely want you to use their ammo.  No CCI in these guns.  A 5 card match will take at minimum 5 boxes.  I just want to set some expectations about the cost.  It isn't a cheap endeavor.

On the note about junior shooters, Madison Reed whom is 14 just finished 7th overall at ARA Outdoor Nationals out of 100 competitors last weekend.  There are some good young shooters out there.

Not everyone shoots in the Unlimited class, there is the "Factory" class/division at ORSA which is what I shoot.  The guys at ORSA who shoot "Factory" use ammo at half that cost.  We show up to have fun and irritate each other more than anything else.  I know why it's called the "Unlimited" division :eek:.  New shooters don't have to shoot the entire match, no one is required to shoot the full set of cards if they don't want to at ORSA.    Just pointing out there are "options".  

Best place to get help moving in the right direction will be to talk to the university rifle coach. They want to help talent out. They will be up on what's available locally. They may also be willing to have him attend practice and a match or two. He gets to help out, learn the ropes, and maybe participate in practice. 

1 hour ago, jpx2rk said:

Not everyone shoots in the Unlimited class, there is the "Factory" class/division at ORSA which is what I shoot.  The guys at ORSA who shoot "Factory" use ammo at half that cost.  We show up to have fun and irritate each other more than anything else.  I know why it's called the "Unlimited" division :eek:.  New shooters don't have to shoot the entire match, no one is required to shoot the full set of cards if they don't want to at ORSA.    Just pointing out there are "options".  

Just to clarify for anyone interested.  Some locations do shoot what they call a factory class, however this is no official 'factory' class for ARA.  It is either Sporter or Unlimited (and you only see sporter matches in CA most of the time).  Even if you shoot a factory gun, you are in the Unlimited class if it is a sanctioned ARA match.   I am not sure what ABRA does for classes.

To your point, you are correct in that you don't have to use a competition BR gun and expensive ammo to participate.  I have guys using stock 10/22's at my match.   It can vary of course, but most of the match directors who are most likely to offer their gun up are going to have an unlimited gun.  

I agree with the post above and mentioned it as well.  Go talk to the coach.  You will get further quicker by doing that than anything.

Edited by Hozzie

Tennesse Sports Foundation    Jackson Tn is only about an hour east of Memphis. He would be more than welcome to shoot NRA smallbore Silhouette .

We shoot every 3rd Saturday of the month.  

We have two more official NRA matches this year. Sept. Oct.

If he wants to learn marksmanship skills then offhand competition is the way to go.

I run the program.  I will let him use my rifle for his first few match rounds.

That way he can try it.  See what equipment he may need.

UPDATE

Look what you went and started.......    I am adding Air Rifle Silhouette to the Match Schedule every 3rd Saturday.

This weeks match will be Paper Targets at standard distances.  It will get me ready to set up for next years regular NRA Air rifle matches.

SO you could.  Shoot Air Rifle.  Then step over to the next shooting position in the next match round and shoot .22Rimfire.    

Edited by David S. Mackiernan
  • Like 3
  • 1 month later...