Hurricane Irma is so strong it's registering on devices designed to detect earthquakes

I keep saying it is not going to be good for anyone in it's path period. With all the rain we got from Harvey just think about what we could get if Irma stays on it's path and comes up into Georgia and Alabama after hitting Florida...........................:dropjaw:

Harvey's big trouble was the rain. It stalled out right along the coast and kept dumping. If it had been a faster moving storm, it wouldn't have been so bad. Wind was really a non-factor for most folks with Harvey. At its peak power it struck a sparsely populated area. By the time it reached more people, it had weakened a lot. Little comfort to the folks around Rockport that took the brunt of Harvey's winds, but all in all the wind was not the problem for most areas.

Irma is a different animal altogether and is going to be a serious wind event. If it grows the way some are predicting, it will beat Andrew by 50mph. That one left little standing in Homestead, FL.

59 minutes ago, VERO1 said:

Watching this one closely,  3 brothers, 2 children, and an 86 year old mom all in the projected path.

If I were you I'd tell them to leave NOW while plenty of fuel is available and before the highways get crowded.

Emm....well maybe I should say if I was them I'd leave NOW while plenty of fuel is available and before the highways get crowded. There...that's much less bossy...haha.

Edited by Randall53
  • Like 4
  • Admin Team

There is one road out of the Keys - US-1.  

Dropsonde measurements from earlier today are being verified, but a reading of 226MPH was recorded.  

DI_x4siWAAAFzhz?format=jpg&name=large

I learned one thing on a search and rescue crew back in the day. If you wait until you know you need to leave, you're way too late.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

For FL in general there is only one way out, north! It's the last state I would want to evacuate. Only 2 interstates head north. 

My brother is part of the FL national guard and he's already been activated so he can't leave. He hasn't decided if his wife and kids will stay though. :shake:

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Erik88 said:

For FL in general there is only one way out, north! It's the last state I would want to evacuate. Only 2 interstates head north. 

My brother is part of the FL national guard and he's already been activated so he can't leave. He hasn't decided if his wife and kids will stay though. :shake:

Yeah, they need to get out quickly before any more time passes!

• Like 1

Think of what it's gonna do before it even gets to Florida.  Haiti never recovered from the last one that was half this size/strength.  Cuba doesn't have hurricane adjusted building codes.  None of those people have anywhere to go.  They'll head up into the hills to escape the flooding, but there's sure to be massive mud slides.  

I saw this morning it's projected to turn north after Cuba.

This isn't gonna end well. 

A friend used to live in Wilmington. He said the answer to a hurricane is so simple it's only one word.... leave. 

• Like 2
  • Admin Team

There are things you can control - and things you just can't.  

The older I get, the more wisdom I see in taking care of the things you can control - and leaning on insurance for the stuff you can't.  

I'm certain there are a bunch of folks in Houston who wish they had left before the storm - and are in exactly the same place now regardless of the fact that they stayed. 

Mind you, all of that comes from my middle class perspective having options and means to leave.  There are a lot of places in the path of this storm where that's not going to be the case.  

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

There are things you can control - and things you just can't.  

The older I get, the more wisdom I see in taking care of the things you can control - and leaning on insurance for the stuff you can't.  

I'm certain there are a bunch of folks in Houston who wish they had left before the storm - and are in exactly the same place now regardless of the fact that they stayed. 

Mind you, all of that comes from my middle class perspective having options and means to leave.  There are a lot of places in the path of this storm where that's not going to be the case.  

The Serenity Prayer comes to mind.  God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

• Like 3

Well it does now look like it is going to turn due north after striking Cuba which like someone else mentioned would be Florida, Georgia and South Carolina as targets and maybe a small part of Southeastern Tennessee and from tha point who knows where she may go? That is not edged in stone as we have all seen in the past while trying to predict these abominations!!!!! 

8 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

The scary thing is that this storm is currently 400 miles across.  It's right at 400 miles from Tallahassee to Miami!

I have had the weather channel on all morning and they have mentiond that on it's path projection it should cover the entire state of Florida with wind and rain but they think the eye will swing up to the east coast but said that is just a guess a this point.