Hurricane Irma is so strong it's registering on devices designed to detect earthquakes

My son Stephen is down there right now on a storm recovery team for Townsend Tree service, they put them in the BB&T Coliseum in Sunrise FL. He tested me this morning and said there are Tornado's all over the place down there right now. If you are the praying type keep him and his co-workers in you prayers please. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, john455 said:

My son Stephen is down there right now on a storm recovery team for Townsend Tree service, they put them in the BB&T Coliseum in Sunrise FL. He tested me this morning and said there are Tornado's all over the place down there right now. If you are the praying type keep him and his co-workers in you prayers please. 

Prayers sent John for your son and everyone else down there!!

20 hours ago, Garufa said:

This is from Long Island in the southern Bahamas.  Look how much the ocean has receded.  There should be several feet of water where those guys are walking around.  This is some weirdness I've haven't seen discussed on The Weather Channel or anywhere else.

And now Tampa Bay has disappeared.

tampa_bay.png

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

I have been watching the Weather Channel guy standing around in Naples for nearly an hour waiting for him to get blown over.  I demand satisfaction.  :lol:

So was I and he stood his ground against Irma for sure. That guy was very determind to show folks how brave(or Stupid) he is but he did not give up!!! They said big signs where blown down and stuff was blowing past him and he still stood his ground.............:clap:

Edited by bersaguy

Just spoke with my family members in Vero Beach, they are fine currently.  Lost power about 2 hours ago.  Last hurricane it was out for 3 weeks.  There was a tornado about 15 miles from them that took out a trailer park. Possibly one fatality.

• Admin Team
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I bet a guy could find some really cool shells out there. Probably some fishing lures too.

Just saw a thread by an expert on these surges.  Cited a 1900 hurricane where the rise when it came back was 4 feet in as many seconds.  This is definitely different than your typical nor'easter depression.  

It reminds me of the signs in beaches in the Pacific Northwest warning you to be aware of the tides because you could be caught out unable to get back to the trailhead.  One in particular changed 18 feet over during some phases.  

Edit: link to the twitter thread for the interested: https://twitter.com/mikamckinnon/status/906946816523956224

• Like 1
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

Just saw a thread by an expert on these surges.  Cited a 1900 hurricane where the rise when it came back was 4 feet in as many seconds.  This is definitely different than your typical nor'easter depression.  

Edit: link to the twitter thread for the interested: https://twitter.com/mikamckinnon/status/906946816523956224

Very cool and confirms what I expected would happen.  Sudden loss of water at the ocean means a sudden return of water sooner or later.

They are calling for some serious rain here tonight and tomorrow and some wind. I kind of thought it was going to be raining a lot when and if it made it this far north and it looks like it will. I bet we will have some flooding like we did with Harvey but I hope not!!!!!

On 9/10/2017 at 10:46 PM, TGO David said:

Very cool and confirms what I expected would happen.  Sudden loss of water at the ocean means a sudden return of water sooner or later.

I saw the Ochlockonee out yesterday afternoon on my way home from taking our trash to our office dumpster (figuring trash pickup for us backwoods people could be a while.) It was pretty damn cool. Was expecting a sudden surge at some point but by all local reports it just slowly came back up late in the evening. Anyway was interesting.

No damage at my place in the woods in Wakulla County. Power out from 7am ET to 8:30 ET. Which is good didn't even burn a tank of gas in the generator. We lose power often from afternoon thunderstorms so not too big a deal. Was warned it could be weeks so its very good news. Tallahassee no where near as bad as Hermine last year, in town tonight monitoring traffic signals on generator power. Just a few this time. I think 9 right now at 1:20am. Last year was every signal the first night... Was told to "bring several days worth of clothes to work when I came in" likely going south to FDOT District 1 tomorrow.

Haven't posted in a long time. Still out here lurking though.

7 hours ago, JWC said:

I saw the Ochlockonee out yesterday afternoon on my way home from taking our trash to our office dumpster (figuring trash pickup for us backwoods people could be a while.) It was pretty damn cool. Was expecting a sudden surge at some point but by all local reports it just slowly came back up late in the evening. Anyway was interesting.

No damage at my place in the woods in Wakulla County. Power out from 7am ET to 8:30 ET. Which is good didn't even burn a tank of gas in the generator. We lose power often from afternoon thunderstorms so not too big a deal. Was warned it could be weeks so its very good news. Tallahassee no where near as bad as Hermine last year, in town tonight monitoring traffic signals on generator power. Just a few this time. I think 9 right now at 1:20am. Last year was every signal the first night... Was told to "bring several days worth of clothes to work when I came in" likely going south to FDOT District 1 tomorrow.

Haven't posted in a long time. Still out here lurking though.

Glad it wasn't too bad for you. 

Be careful putting home trash in the office dumpster.  Businesses are typically restricted on what can go in the dumpsters and the company can get fined if prohibited stuff  (aerosol cans, fluorescent bulbs, oily waste, etc.) is found in there. 

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:37 PM, MacGyver said:

It reminds me of the signs in beaches in the Pacific Northwest warning you to be aware of the tides because you could be caught out unable to get back to the trailhead.  One in particular changed 18 feet over during some phases.  

It's that way up in the Northeast too. The Bay of Fundy across the border in Canada gets around 50 something feet in a normal swing between low and high tide. I walked a rocky beach at low tide at Quoddy Head, Maine, and on Campobelo Island, NB and it was clear how far down below the high tide line I was. I was VERY mindful of the clock. It's strange driving through the area at low tide and seeing docks 30' in the air above the water.

I watch a program called Alaska, the last Frontier and they experience similar tides up their also. I think they have said it is a 25 to 30 foot swing daily and they have to be careful to do cattle drives and pay close attention to the tides as they need to use the beach to move cattle to grazing areas. Pretty interesting show considering they have it listed and a reality show....JMHO