The Vietnam War

Garufa

The second episode just reaffirms what was presented in the first episode. I was young and dumb and believed what the news media and politicans were telling us about our involvement in Viet Nam. If had of known all the facts would probably had a different view of the war. My dad thought JFK was great, but doubt he would have thought so if had known the truth. The old saying" THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE" is spot on. Kennedy left them Bay of Pigs guys high and dry, [ stranded] when it was time to assist them during the invasion. The 101 st AB had troops loaded on planes and sitting on the tarmac ready to go but Kennedy would not give the order. I guess that is why history is never revealed until the key players are dead and gone. If Kennedy had intervened during the Bay of Pigs blunder, there would never have been a Cuban missle crises.

I said I was not going to watch it but not much else worth watching so I turned it on. I knew bits and pieces of what took place in the beginning by hearing bits and pieces from friends that were over there much earlier than I was. Most everthing thing showed last night just went to prove how political that war really was. Most of what took place before Kennedy's death never reached the news medias. Just bits and pieces that Feds would release and almost had to when we began losing American lives over there. I probably will not watch any more of it. Pretty much know what happened next........:doh:

Since we are discussing Vietnam which by the way I have been watching it and no dreams yet but I thought I would ask folks here if any of ya'll have seen any products made in Vietnam being sold in the U.S.A.? If not or if you have not been looking at tags on clothing you may be buying, there is some being imported and label reads "Made in the Republic of Vietnam" I didn't know that we had trade agreements with them till I was looking at a new Gortex Rain Suit at tackle shop here locally and the third label down it said  "Made in Republic of Vietnam". If you own a Gortex Rain suit advertised under the Frogg Togg brand name it was made in Vietnam!   I just hung it back up and walked out!

• Like 1

My wife and I sat down and watched most of the first episode tonight. Even she enjoyed it. Sadly, I learned more about the war tonight than I can ever remember learning in school. Perhaps I'm just older now and more interested in learning. I had no idea France played a major role in us being there. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

I'm 60 now and it was all over before I was 18. I watched the news and remember how poorly the men were treated when returning home. Calling them baby killers and protesting coast to coast. Several older friends and brothers of friends were forever changed by that war.   

Will definitely check this show out. Even though the war was over a few years before I was born, I have had the privilege to talk to some veterans and hear some of their stories. It seemed to be an unconventional war where one didn't always know who the enemy was. Those who disrespected our troops returning from that hell hole had no idea what they went through. I also want to give a heartfelt THANK YOU to all of the Vietnam veterans who served their country with honor and gallantry. May their sacrifices never be forgotten. :usa:

Just lost my dad this April. He was an Lt. in Hotel Co. 2/5 USMC in country in various actions,  and ended up critically wounded and med-evaced out of Hue City in Feb. 1968.

Hell of a guy, but he had problems later, especially after The Wall opened up in DC and he started having reunions with guys he served with.

I've never felt safer in my life... in a hotel room with a bunch of amped up Marine vets, telling war stories.  You could scoop up the intensity in the room with a spoon.

Edited by superduty
Wrong year, my bad.
  • Like 1

So far I've only missed episodes 3 and maybe 4, haven't gone back to see about 4.

Anyway, last night's episode addressed Kent St.  I've always known about what happened there but never really seriously thought about it, much less look at that tragedy in light of currents events. 

What would have happened if those kids didn't scatter and stood up to the National Guard that day?

What is going to happen when today's demonstrators cannot be controlled by tear gas, batons, hoses, and rubber bullets?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

So far I've only missed episodes 3 and maybe 4, haven't gone back to see about 4.

Anyway, last night's episode addressed Kent St.  I've always known about what happened there but never really seriously thought about it, much less look at that tragedy in light of currents events. 

What would have happened if those kids didn't scatter and stood up to the National Guard that day?

What is going to happen when today's demonstrators cannot be controlled by tear gas, batons, hoses, and rubber bullets?

"What is going to happen when today's demonstrators cannot be controlled by tear gas, batons, hoses, and rubber bullets'?

In all honesty I have been waiting for gun fire to ring out at any one of these taking place today. These people are not protesting a war!! In fact I would be willing to bet that 80+% don't really know why they are protesting. They are just joining a crowd of protestors and are for the most part just followers. They will also be the first ones killed when the hot lead starts because they don't know when to duck and run!!!

As far as Kent State, up until last night I had only heard about it in letters from home. Last night was the first time I saw it first hand. We all knew that things were pretty bad back home from the letters each one of us got and we would read them out loud to anyone nearby that may not get mail. We never had any idea how bad till we began arriving home!! My mother cold not put in words how bad it was but she told me if there was any way possible to fly commercial and don't wear my uniform. I was having none of that. I flew with my men and wore my uniform with pride. First chance I had I changed in my Dress Whites.  I thought there was no way the American people could have been 1/1000th as bad as where I had just left. I was almost wrong for the 1st 8 hours at home.

Don't blame the messenger blame the guy that wrote the message. Still a lot of bad feelings, but have mostly let them go. Lessons learned never trust politicans or buracrats, never get involved in some other country's civil war. Feel blessed to be alive. I once was a believer in American system, but when you have morally weak humans involved crap happens. As for how the series was presented, thought it was well made and well presented. No bad feelings toward the Vietamese, they were victims  and only doing their job. Hanoi jane and horse face Kerry I will never forgive.

• Like 2

Fantastic documentary.  Albeit a bit longer than it needed to be.  I love history and read on the major WW's regularly; will definitely be reading more about Vietnam after seeing how much of a cluster**** that war was.  Never understood before this why there was such a level of civil outrage over the war, but now I think I would've been in the middle of it myself.  (But against the policies, not the soldiers)

Edited by Sam1
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Sam1 said:

Fantastic documentary.  Albeit a bit longer than it needed to be.  I love history and read on the major WW's regularly; will definitely be reading more about Vietnam after seeing how much of a cluster**** that war was.  Never understood before this why there was such a level of civil outrage over the war, but now I think I would've been in the middle of it myself.  (But against the policies, not the soldiers)

I think I made it through watching it with no bad dreams so far. I did actually learn a lot of stuff by watching it about just how political the war really was. I knew it was a political war but had no idea just how far the Presidents and their advisers went to tried to keep it out of the sight of the American people and failed so miserably. That was one of the main reason for many of the protests. The people learned a lot more that they tried to hide. While in country we got many orders that many of us did not want to follow and I can remember a lot of them that did not get carried out when it came to civlians. We were not there to kill civilans. In all reality the South Vietnam civilians were going to suffer a lose lose situation reagardless of which side actually won.

I have put off visiting the Wall since it was completed but I think I will make plans to have some of my family take me to Washington DC and I will go hopefully before I get to old to make the trip.............JMHO

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I have put off visiting the Wall since it was completed but I think I will make plans to have some of my family take me to Washington DC and I will go hopefully before I get to old to make the trip.............JMHO

There is an outfit here in Knoxville, Honor Air, that flies veterans up to D.C. for that very thing.  I have no idea what it takes to catch a ride with them but here is their website with info and application:   http://www.honorairknoxville.com/phone/index.html

Edited by Garufa
6 minutes ago, Garufa said:

There is an outfit here in Knoxville, Honor Air, that flies veterans up to D.C. for that very thing.  I have no idea what it takes to catch a ride with them but here is their website with info and application:   http://www.honorairknoxville.com/phone/index.html

Thank you my friend for that information but my days of flying ended when they brought me home in 1973. I made myself a promise my feet would never be more than a 10 foot step ladder would take me and I have held good to that promise. Besides when I go I want family with me.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Sam1 said:

If you go, make sure to check out the Korean war memorial after it gets dark.  The night lighting on it really brings something to it that you can't see during the day.

I will make sure and do that for sure, thanks for telling me about it..............:cheers:

• Like 1
  • Authorized Vendor

I'm up to Episode 8 or 9. I can't believe I pulled two tours in that ####hole. The worst thing was coming back to the US and being treated like dog####. I vowed I'd never let that happen to the lads and was part of a meet, greet and thank group while spending several years in AZ for returning folks from the desert.  God help me but I love every one of those young folks. :usa:

• Like 9