Smith and Wesson announce Glock 19 sized M&P 2.0 Compact

TGO David

• Administrator

If you have ever held a Smith & Wesson M&P and wished it were the size of the 15-round Glock 19 instead, your wishes are coming true.  These are being announced officially on Monday 9/11/17 but have already leaked to the Internet.

21314810_10155835174624551_1840415208376

• Like 3

I can't believe someone finally did it! Everyone has begged for a G19 sized 15rd pistol with the right grip angle forever.

I was just waiting for a Gen5 to show up locally. But this is so much better to me. 

You can hate on Glock all you want but the Glock 19 is THE perfect size of 9mm pistol. It's the perfect balance of capacity and size/conceability. Add in a more traditional grip angle and metal magazines (HUGE plus to me!) and it's a win.

Personally, I really despise the fish gill looking slide serrations, but that is easily fixed by the aftermarket. Hopefully, the existing 2.0 trigger parts from the full size will fit.

Also, the new Surefire lights have me very interested as well. Waiting on details for those.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrator

I love my M2.0 and prefer the 17rd capacity of the full-size but this really makes the "Compact" make sense.  The previous 9C and 40C were just too damned small for my hands and the advent of the truly compact Shield left them in a weird spot in the S&W lineup.  They did the right thing here.  And as for the "fish gill" serrations, those are super effective and grippy.  I've always preferred them to the serrations on the Glock.

All of that being said, I don't see myself rushing to buy one of these.  I have several things in this size-range already and don't need another.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, nightrunner said:

I can't believe someone finally did it! Everyone has begged for a G19 sized 15rd pistol with the right grip angle forever.

I was just waiting for a Gen5 to show up locally. But this is so much better to me. 

You can hate on Glock all you want but the Glock 19 is THE perfect size of 9mm pistol. It's the perfect balance of capacity and size/conceability. Add in a more traditional grip angle and metal magazines (HUGE plus to me!) and it's a win.

Personally, I really despise the fish gill looking slide serrations, but that is easily fixed by the aftermarket. Hopefully, the existing 2.0 trigger parts from the full size will fit.

Also, the new Surefire lights have me very interested as well. Waiting on details for those.

Good observation on the utility of the G-19 and popularity of that sized platform. I'll be interested in taking a look at this new S&W since I've been considering a replacement to the G-19 I traded/sold sometime back. I'm not crazy about a high capacity service pistol (which is what this still is) for EDC though. 

This size pistol has always had a strong following. Think of the Commander, and S&W 39 variants. This grip length makes for a very controllable weapon. Smaller grips are easier to conceal. Its an age old discussion capacity, size, control, concealment.

That said, this fills a noticeable gap in the M&P lineup. If I was looking for a gun this size I'd have to consider it.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

You guys would be surprised at how often I am carrying the CZ P-07 these days.  Coming from someone who really prefers the striker-fired designs, something about this little heater really appeals to me and I honestly can't quite put my finger on exactly what it is.  I think it's probably because it is more than one single thing and, rather, a combination of smaller things.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, TGO David said:

You guys would be surprised at how often I am carrying the CZ P-07 these days.  Coming from someone who really prefers the striker-fired designs, something about this little heater really appeals to me and I honestly can't quite put my finger on exactly what it is.  I think it's probably because it is more than one single thing and, rather, a combination of smaller things.

I carry a gen3 19 but its had extensive work done to the grip to make it somewhat comfortable. I'm sure the CZ has superior ergonomics. I've been trying to get my hands on one but as with all CZ's they have been difficult to find. As much as I like Glock, my next gun will be something different. 

• Like 2

I will be ordering some of the mags and cutting down a FS or two.  I already own them and with the LE trade ins and 2.0 pistols they have little to no resale value.  The original FS with the grip cut down will be very close in size with only a touch more slide length.

20 hours ago, Steelharp said:

Because you are a man of exceptional discriminating taste, sir. :hat:

I am a striker fan, and for me, the FNS is the "cat's meow," as it were. Still wouldn't be without a G19, though.

I think we are the only two that own one of these FN's. Someone on TGO has the compact version also I think.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
53 minutes ago, SonnyCrockett said:

Funny,I always thought the M&P was G19 sized,shame on me.....

They've knocked about 0.25" off of the overall length and height of this one.  I don't find the full size M&P to be that much bigger or harder to conceal than my Glock 19, so... I'm kind of with you on this.

• Like 1