Canik problem...

Steelharp

So when are we going to see guns that are hammer proof??? Let the panic begin.

Of course if you treat every gun as if its loaded you won't be dropping it, and less likely to use a hammer on it. Accidents can happen, but we also lived for many years with the original design 1911, high power, P38, etc and whole army's that treat their guns very roughly didn't have wide spread accidents.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

"This independent testing reveals that these industry standards may no longer be adequate for modern handgun design. These tests were largely developed to prove steel-framed, hammer-fired handguns. Today the polymer-framed, striker-fired pistol is standard for the majority of shooters public and private."

The last paragraph of the article really sums it it for me. Accidents happen, guns get dropped. The standard tests weren't designed for the type of guns that most folks carry. They operate, and fail, differently. A gap in safety has been found and an opportunity to improve the designs has arisen. While much hullabaloo is being made over it, ulitimately I view this as a good thing.

I guess these guns listed about that cost big bucks have the same issue as the $59.00 Jennings or Jimminez have. I know they would go off about every time you dropped one of them. You could expect that from a gun costing $59.00 bucks but not for a gun costing in excess of $500.00+ dollars in most cases.................JMHO

This is only a problem for people that don't take responsibility for their own actions. It's simply too easy to say "but it shouldn't EVER go off EVEN when misused". "Its the manufacturers fault!" This is a cop out. Do your very best not to drop your gun, and if you do then own the consequences...

Do I expect that a higher priced gun should be more resistant to firing when dropped? Yes, but when you go out of your way to try and find a way that a machine can be made to fail you will find it. If you drop it at a precise angle, from high enough, then inertia will have its effects. Don't mistreat your weapon, if you do expect it to mistreat you back... ANY mechanical safety can fail, accept that.

Speaking of higher priced guns how many custom 1911's or Kimber's have NO firing pin block in them? How many have become an internet sensation?

While we're at it how many Glocks or others get shot unintentionally when disassembling the gun? When it happens whose fault is it? I've always thought that having to pull the trigger to disassemble the gun was a silly idea. I'll admit that it hasn't kept me from owning them though. I accept the responsibility of unloading the weapon before disassembly.

BTW I used to own a S&W 27 with Jordan grips that had a SS plate on the bottom. Purportedly Jordan wanted that plate for tacking up Wanted Posters. I wish I had never sold it...

• Like 1