16 years ago

Erik88

With the news focused on the hurricane I wanted to take a moment to reflect on the fact that another 9/11 anniversary is here. It's amazing how fast time flies. A lot has changed since 2001. 

CNN has some good stories up today that are worth reading including the story of how boats helped ferry 500,000 people from Manhattan.

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2016/09/us/inside-9-11-the-day-that-never-ends/

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/20/opinions/911-boatlift-rescue-opinion-dulong/index.html

• Like 1

I was in a secure location receiving a Top Secret briefing along with the JSOC Deputy CG and the incoming 75th Ranger Regiment Commander (a good friend).

And then the briefing was stopped...., and everybody got very busy.

For the next three years I saw my family for a total of 109 days.

I was on night shift back then on patrol. I remember after Bush ordered no flights , I was on patrol out where there were no street lights. I got out of my car and looked up and it was so weird to not see any aircraft lights at all in the night sky.  Also it was cool to see an Apache and a Kiowa both taking turns hovering over the gates of Ft. Campbell . I was eating at Arbys right near gate 4 and was watching them go back and forth. Those next days I brought extra ammo and extra guns to what I already carried. I thought for sure that Ft. Campbell would get hit but thank God it didn't. Our city is right there with Ft. Campbell.

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 2

I have watched a couple programs about it on the Biography channel and Discovery Channel but most of the news was focused on the Hurricanes. I can still remember what I was doing when I learned about it. I was fishing and had a radio playing some music and it was interupted to bring the news that we are under attack and went on to tell what had happened. At first I thought it was one of those Orson Wells programs but my room mate called me and told me he was watching it on TV. I loaded the boat and went home to watch it. Cars was lined up at all filling stations. I didn't bother stopping because at the time I had 3 30 gallon containers full at the house with sta-bil in them plus truck was almost full and both tanks in boat were full.

I think many people still think of it often but most don't talk about it because they might say something to a person that lost someone that day in towers or Pentagon or on one of the planes. It is and was our Modern Day Pearl Harbor. There were 2403 killed at Pearl and 3150 total killed in Twin Towers and Pentagon and in Flight 93 that went down in PA.

It's kind of hard to not think about it in some way since we are still at war with the enemy that attacked us and probably will be till the end of time because the people that attacked us all seem to have a death wish and there are Millions if not Billions of them we are fighting both home and abroad..........JMHO

• Like 2

I was living up north then. I was at work and happened to be in a Coke bottling plant in Yonkers, NY on a service call when everything stopped I was brought up to the roof by my customer. We watched the towers fall with little information as to why. I remember as a child seeing the towers go up as my dad worked in Manhattan. It was surreal to see them gone in minutes.

I don't talk about it much, but I'll never forget. It was a national tragedy that day, and those that served and serve today have my utmost respect. It effected us all then and we still feel the results of the cowards attack.

I will never forget!

• Admin Team

I always take a moment to reflect - as unnecessary as that is since I can still smell it and taste it when I close my eyes at night. 

Today - 16 years on it strikes me that my children are closer to he age I was when it happened than I am now.  And, that makes me angry and profoundly sad. In just a couple of years we'll have kids deploying who weren't even alive when we entered this war. 

But, do good.  Tell the people you love that you love them.  The world can change in an instant.

• Like 2

I know I may be in minority on this but I think it should be manditory that each new media spend about 10 minutes discussing 9/11 and showing to planes striking the towers at least once a week in Prime time so the young people being born after it took place can see and learn why we are still at war with this enemy so they will have some kind of reference to learn from. You know it will never be taught in our schools.............JMHO

• Like 1

The schools near my house didn't even fly their flags at half mast. Made me wonder if they even teach it in history class. 

It is sad what has become of this country is such a short time!

Never Forget!

update, by noon at least one school lowered their flag. 

Edited by Ugly
  • Like 1
25 minutes ago, Ugly said:

The schools near my house didn't even fly their flags at half mast. Made me wonder if they even teach it in history class. 

It is sad what has become of this country is such a short time!

Never Forget!

update, by noon at least one school lowered their flag. 

Some one must have called them complaining about it not being lowered..............JMHO

1 minute ago, Omega said:

Our compound flew ours at half staff today, but other than that very little coverage.  Soon it will be like Armistice Day, Dec 7th, V-E Day, VJ Day etc etc.

They are doing anything and everything they can to erase our Country's history and if folks keep letting the left continue soon our children will not know anything about out history as they are doing their best to get American history classes removed from our schools...............:mad:

I was a tank battalion logistics officer based in Germany. I remember calling my ammo NCO, and asking him how much small arms ammo we had at the ammunition supply point. We brought it all in and distributed it to the companies. It took the division 2-3 days to sort out how to issue ammunition for this. And during that time, most guards only had weapons at the gates - with no bullets in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Ugly said:

I've called them many times 

One school simply needs to look up at my house to see the current status. 

I was stationed on Andrews AFB and lived on base as well. We could see the smoke from the Pentagon from our hangar. All flights stopped except for the evac hueys and the F-16's at the ready next door to us. They took off and flew around the clock for at least 2 years. 

I watched one intercept a Cessna. He almost shot it down but it responded after 2 fly by's including a wing dip and flares. 

I didn't leave the base for 3 months and when I did I rode my motorcycle up to PA. All along the way, 4 hr ride, there were signs, flags and all kinds of patriotic displays. It was a tremendous and moving sight. 

Now look at us.  

Edited by Ugly

It was on the minds of the people for about a year except for people who lost family and friends in the attacks.  Soon as the World Trade Monument was completed it was like OK! We have fixed it now. For most of them they will never get over it. The governments at all levels kept telling the people that they needed to get things back to normal  and not to let the Terrorists know that we will roll over for them and surrender our way of life. Well, they need to practice what they preach and not sit back inviting the enemy to come and live in our country which is what many politicians are demanding while President Trump is doing everything in his power to keep them out. If they don't live here they can't set off bombs at marathons or try and blow up buildings and shoot people or run them over with trucks and cars. .................JMHO