Sig M11-A1

res308

Well I finally went and done it. I had narrowed my selection process down and I had gotten to the point where I was still trying to decide between Sig and Beretta. I've owned a Sig here and there throughout the last several years, and I already know that I like Beretta. 

So.............I ran across this here Sig M11-A1 last week. Went ahead and jumped on it. Wasn't sure how I'd like it. Someone suggested that the 229 platform would be better for concealment. That's true if you're talking about hiding barrel length. However, I've been carrying my son's 92FS lately and have been loving it, and had not problems with concealment. In fact, I had forgotten how much I enjoyed them. So I laid the M11 atop the 92FS and whaddaya know, the 229 frame ain't a bit more concealable in the BUTT-TOX area! Maybe 1/8 inch difference (more or less). Overall thickness between the two is pretty close (no, I didn't break out the calipers).

I took it out to run a few rounds through it Saturday afternoon at my friend's range. Using my highly scientific testing methods at a precisely measured range of somewhere around 30-35 yards, I discovered that the M11 is at least consistently minute of bouncing tin can accurate, as well as minute of stick. Not bad. 

Having owned both on several occasions during my life, some observations:

Lots of folks become extremely enamored with Sig, praising Sig's quality over all others and such. I do believe that the quality is there, but I do NOT believe that there is two-farts-in-an-outhouse worth of difference in quality between Sig and Beretta. 

I do like Sig's short reset trigger on this M11. This is the first time I've experience the SRT and it is satisfactory. But I believe that the reset can be improved on the 92FS with Wilson's trigger bar. I don't have a shot timer, so I can't really tell if there's any difference in my "speed o' shots" between Beretta and Sig. But I'm not competing against Jerry Miculek or Earnest Langdon anyway. 

I do like Sig's decocker over Beretta's safety/decocker system. For me, a Wilson low profile single side lever solves that problem though.

I happen to be one of the folks who really likes Beretta's locking block system and direct feed from the magazine. But I can say that this M11 locks up tighter'n a Swiss bank vault. Good job on the manufacturing. 

Accuracy? I can't speak to the mechanical accuracy of the two, but can only say that I am more accurate with the 92FS. Could be because I'm not used to the M11 yet.

Grip: The 92 seems to nestle into my hand better, but I may try the E2 grip on the M11.

So, in a strictly controlled environment of "outside" and using my highly scientific testing methods which I am certain will garner the accolades of the "experts" and the OCD crowd (if nothing else, I can keep the jerks busy on their mission to disprove everything I've said), I have reached some conclusions (simply my own non-expert opinion)(not that anyone would listen to me anyway): Beretta needs to quit being bull-headed and start producing a two tone 92G Centurion. Even if it's just for me! Short of that, I might let this thing go (unless my son decides he wants it)(why not, my boys have all my others), save up some more to go with it, and finally buy my dream gun - a Wilson 92 Brigadier (and contrary to what seems to be the norm, actually use it). Or at least get back on course and get a Brigadier Inox.

So if you, like probably nobody else, have enjoyed this well written and professional gun review, feel free to let me know. Now that cooler weather has arrived, I just may start doing a once-a-month gun review. And, as expected, never tell anyone about them. :devil:

m11.jpg.a1520364a65997821c9b1a37229281e4.jpg

Edited by res308
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

The m11-a1 is a fine weapon, but it's not the end all, be all. Sig, hk, and beretta all have a following of fanatical devotees. I am a fan of beretta, although my most recent acquisition was a sig p224. In hunting for a subcompact da/sa 40, I learned that there are few options. The px4 was intriguing, but after handling several, I couldn't make myself buy it. They are loose and rattle a bit, with a plasticky trigger feel. The cost savings over the p224 were not enough to swing me. 

The p224 is a sig. Built just as well as any fullsize they offer. Highly accurate for a pocket sized piece. Locks up tight as your m11, and doesn't sound like rocks in a can. 

I do prefer the da trigger on full size beretta to sigs, but the sa trigger goes to sig (definitely not including the 226 SAO in this for keeping it equal). I actually prefer the beretta slide stop location more, and am about 50/50 on decocker. The sig decocker has a long throw, and I love seeing the firing pin rotate when the beretta is decocked. That extra safety is nice. 

I find that the beretta will function better when dirty, but loses in overall accuracy. Not by much, but the difference is noticeable on paper from a rest.  Both are incredibly accurate, more so than 99% can achieve offhand. Beretta also has superior customer service. 

Only question for you, res308: wilson 92 or p226 legion?

2 hours ago, Cookies said:

Only question for you, res308: wilson 92 or p226 legion?

I'll bite and say 226 Legion SAO, but then again I'm a single action guy, and the Sig just fits me a bit better than any 92 I've ever tried. I admit I've never tried a Wilson 92...

If I had to go SA/DA if still pick the Sig 226 but I'm not sure the Legion version has an advantage, a better comparison might be a Bruce Gray 226 vs the Wilson 92.

• A Sig is a wonderful choice if your hand is big enough. Enough said ... or enough Sig ? What is the latest word on the 320 drop fires. Is that the right pistol? Is there a recall? Still one of the best gun makers on the planet. I have a few, love them all. Most .45’s.

This ... https://www.sigsauer.com/press-releases/sig-sauer-issues-voluntary-upgrade-p320-pistol/

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/sig-detailing-p320-upgrade-program/

Edited by Fourtyfive