Picked up one of my grails

Finally got my hands on a Garand. I have actually had this rifle for several months, just now posting it. I have wanted one for as long as I can remember! As far as I can tell, the receiver's SN dates it to a 1953. Unfortunately it is not a matching numbers rifle, I still thoroughly enjoy it however. I still have yet to shoot it. Overall it seems like it will be a great shooter though, the bore is in excellent shape. I do not plan on restoring or refinishing the rifle in any way. I love the way it looks with all its little character marks and imperfections. Just thought I'd share one of my current favorites in the safe with you guys!

IMG_2704.JPG

IMG_2706.JPG

IMG_2707.JPG

• Like 8
26 minutes ago, Wingshooter said:

Looks great! The character marks make it even cooler. I've had one for a long time that I still haven't shot. I'm not sure why... time just gets away from me I guess. 

You're not alone. I've had a 1945 Springfield Garand squirreled away for over 2 years now and haven't found the time to feed it.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 2

John Cantius Garand designed a great rifle and are a real treat to shoot.  I hope your Garand thumb experience is a short lived pain.  I don't care how experienced you are with this rifle, it's not a matter of it may bite you but when it will bite you loading a clip into the rifle. Just remember it's all part of the fun.  Also it's when the term clip or enbloc is proper terminology.  One thing about this rifle design is that in an ammo exhausted situation and last ditch survival plan these rifles make an awesome club like weapon.  Most modern military firearms don't have this characteristic.

• Like 3
Looks great! The character marks make it even cooler. I've had one for a long time that I still haven't shot. I'm not sure why... time just gets away from me I guess. 

I know that feeling all too well. Its exactly why I havent shot this one yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
I'm sure you know this already this but when it comes time to shoot the baddest battle rifle ever created don't run down to the Walmart or gunstore and get some random box of .30-06 ammo.  You need M2 ball or it's equivalent.  

Actually I did not know that, thanks. I guess it takes a hot load to work that brick of a bolt!

25 minutes ago, reed1285 said:

Actually I did not know that, thanks. I guess it takes a hot load to work that brick of a bolt!

Wrong!  M1's do not use a hot or heavy load.  They were designed to fire a 150gr bullet at 2700-2800 FPS.  

Surplus M2 that is worth shooting is getting scarcer and prices are going up.  I recommend finding some Prvi 150gr or even better, their M1 load.

• Like 2
Wrong!  M1's do not use a hot or heavy load.  They were designed to fire a 150gr bullet at 2700-2800 FPS.  
Surplus M2 that is worth shooting is getting scarcer and prices are going up.  I recommend finding some Prvi 150gr or even better, their M1 load.

Learn something new every day! Thanks for the info.

1 minute ago, reed1285 said:

Learn something new every day! Thanks for the info.

Glad to help and I've seriously abbreviated the advice, lol.  Half the interwebz is devoted to what kind of ammo to shoot in a Garand, adjustable gas plugs, etc.

• Like 1