Picked up one of my grails

13 minutes ago, reed1285 said:

Are there any manufacturers of m2 ball I should try to stay away from if I can? Where exactly is the line drawn in dealing with surplus m2 ball?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The most common is Greek HXP and is very good stuff.  That is what the CMP has been selling for years.  It is non-corrosive and usually of '60-'70's manufacture.

American made surplus is pretty much gone.  If you do find any and it was made before 1953 it is corrosive.

Korean is hit or miss.  Much of it is corrosive and not very highly regarded.

British Kynoch is corrosive.

There was some Iranian stuff floating around a few years ago but I forget whether it was corrosive or not.

That's all I know about and the chances of coming across any of those, except the HXP, are kinda slim.

If you can't get HXP, just buy some of the PRVI M1 load from Aim  https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AP3006FMJ150&name=Prvi+Partizan+PPU+30.06+150grn+FMJ+20rd+Box&groupid=27.  You might even be able to find some Prvi locally.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

Traded for a Winchester all matching numbers mfg. 1944, just did not appeal to me, sold it for 8 $100 dollar bills about 15 years ago. Never cared for the 30-06 cartridge myself. Traded a pristine Remington shotgun for it. Only had $300 in the shotgun.

• Like 1

By your self a Schuster from MidwayUSA  and learn to use it. It makes the Garand gas system adjustable for ammo other than M2 ball that as stated above is not on every shelf. Many will not feed much but ball and pointy soft points. When hunting with mine I have one softpoint in the pipe and ball behind it. Hold her back with the bottom of your hand while pushing down on the enbloc until it locks in then tuck your thumb (while holding it open) and rotate your hand up and back. 

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Sunfish said:

By your self a Schuster from MidwayUSA  and learn to use it. It makes the Garand gas system adjustable for ammo other than M2 ball that as stated above is not on every shelf. Many will not feed much but ball and pointy soft points. When hunting with mine I have one softpoint in the pipe and ball behind it. Hold her back with the bottom of your hand while pushing down on the enbloc until it locks in then tuck your thumb (while holding it open) and rotate your hand up and back. 

Try federal fusion rounds . Mine feeds those fine and it shoots great. I'm going to take mine hunting this year and tried several rounds. Mine liked the fusion the best 

I've got the Schuster and garand gear plugs. Haven't installed the Schuster but will do it when I have time

Edited by jwhjwh54

Congratulations on getting a fine rifle. :clap:

I bought a 1941 Springfield from CMP about 10 years ago and love it! I also bought several cases of the Greek XHP ammo at the same time. Also good stuff. :up:

And for those who may have been wondering, yes, it was me who bought my late friend's M1. His wife found out I was interested and made me a price I couldn't turn down. :rolleyes: Its a 1955 HRA. So now I have two M1s. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to shooting this one yet. But I hope to cure that next week. ;)

• Like 1

Be aware that there is corrosive surplus .30/06 out there.  Cleaning after using it is not a bad chore in a bolt action, but properly cleaning a gas-operated action can be a chore.  Before you buy any surplus ammo, research the headstamp to see if it is corrosive.  Don't just take a seller's word for it; some don't know better, but some will lie.  The best thing for you to do is probably to just buy Prvi .30/06 M1 ammo.  It's good reloadable brass, and priced below the usual commercial sources.

• Like 1