Robbed.

Steelharp

11 hours ago, Steelharp said:

We have motion detectors, too. They were inside 2 minutes. The police were on scene 1 minute after the alarm went off. They just missed them.

Well if the police do like most they came to the scene with sirens blasting telling the bad guys how much time they had. I have never seen a reason to run Sirens and lights in the middle of the night when responding to an alarm in a business going off unless they want to make sure that bad guys get gone before they arrive. I had an alarm system in my auto repair business and it was a silent alarm so that bad guys never knew when they triggered it and twice over the years the cops caught the bad guys still in the business during break ins. Gotta love small town LEO's. They get it done!!

• Administrator

This certainly helps you guys none, @Steelharp, but maybe offers some consolation:

https://williamsonsource.com/franklin-jewelry-heist-photos-released/

The news story above is an account of a jewelry store robbery here in Williamson County where the thieves cut a hole in the roof, climbed down into the store, and then spent hours cutting through the wall into the vault to make off with a score of expensive items.  Whatever security this store had in place, it didn't cover what these folks pulled off!  HOURS spent inside.

jewelryHeist.png

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
12 minutes ago, TGO David said:

This certainly helps you guys none, @Steelharp, but maybe offers some consolation:

The news story above is an account of a jewelry store robbery here in Williamson County where the thieves cut a hole in the roof, climbed down into the store, and then spent hours cutting through the wall into the vault to make off with a score of expensive items.  Whatever security this store had in place, it didn't cover what these folks pulled off!  HOURS spent inside.

jewelryHeist.png

That right there would make a person wonder if they even had a security system at all with all that damage done and not one alarm sensor tripped and no motion sensors and cameras................JMHO

Edited by bersaguy
9 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Whatever security this store had in place, it didn't cover what these folks pulled off!  HOURS spent inside.

Seems like I heard that whoever was involved had working knowledge of the security system as it was compromised by the suspects.

2 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Well if the police do like most they came to the scene with sirens blasting telling the bad guys how much time they had. I have never seen a reason to run Sirens and lights in the middle of the night when responding to an alarm in a business going off unless they want to make sure that bad guys get gone before they arrive. I had an alarm system in my auto repair business and it was a silent alarm so that bad guys never knew when they triggered it and twice over the years the cops caught the bad guys still in the business during break ins. Gotta love small town LEO's. They get it done!!

We never ran sirens on an alarm and we turned off our overheads when we got close. But these guys seem to know they have a couple of minutes. I’m sure they know the alarm is going off when they smash through the door whether they hear it or not. Takes a minute to dispatch it (provide cars are clear) and takes a couple of minutes (at least) for Officers to get there.

They’ll probably get caught on a traffic stop by a cop paying attention. Or someone needing a deal.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

We never ran sirens on an alarm and we turned off our overheads when we got close. But these guys seem to know they have a couple of minutes. I’m sure they know the alarm is going off when they smash through the door whether they hear it or not. Takes a minute to dispatch it (provide cars are clear) and takes a couple of minutes (at least) for Officers to get there.

They’ll probably get caught on a traffic stop by a cop paying attention. Or someone needing a deal.

One can only hope they catch them but I have not heard yet of anyone being caught in connection of any of the previous burglaries for which there have been many in past 2 years or the recovery of any guns that where taken.........JMHO

On 9/17/2017 at 10:50 PM, Steelharp said:

We have motion detectors, too. They were inside 2 minutes. The police were on scene 1 minute after the alarm went off. They just missed them.

That makes it hard. And I was not aiming at you guys specifically when I talked about bad ways to decide security levels. Just pointing out most places decide on cost. True it is a balance of spending more on security than the contents are worth and covering yourself well enough. I just worry about gun stores since the ATF might just decide you did not do enough and revoke your FFL. You know how they can be even if you are in the right. 

• Moderators
On 9/18/2017 at 10:48 AM, TGO David said:

jewelryHeist.png

That's pretty awesome...in a heist movie sort of way. Just goes to enforce that locks only keep honest people out. With enough planning and dedication, any security can be broken.

On 9/18/2017 at 9:48 AM, TGO David said:

That does not look like a very good safe/vault. However, if given that amount of time... it wouldn't have mattered what type of construction the safe had.

Edited by MikeW