Robbed.

Steelharp

2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I'm a small guy and I couldn't make it through that. I don't see how anyone could make it without getting cut to pieces and leaving DNA all over the place. I suspect they reached up and unlocked the door.

I don't know that for sure but I have 2 dead bolts on my house door. 1 can be latched with fingers from inside and the other requires a key on both sides. I would think that the lock on that door is key access on both side as most businesses are...............JMHO

That pic is from the inside and you can see the thumb latch on the deadbolt. Locks only provide security up to the strength of the door, glass door frame, etc.

Security for a business like a gun shop needs to be layered to slow down the thief. Given time and tools its easy to break in, but if you can make it take time and make it a pain in the a$$ they will look for an easier target.

• Like 2

These guys were the usual stupid thieves. A pair of channel locks will snap a storefront style door lock mechanism and you walk right in. I know from experience around buildings being demo'ed.

Replace that door and bar all the glass. Or put in a full pull down security gate. Place a decent alarm and security camera system. The expense will be worth it.

7 minutes ago, Parrothead said:

I thought guns stores had to have bars. Not sure where I picked that up but I guess it wasn't accurate 

I thought after all the highly publicized smash and grabs in he middle TN area gun stores would have taken some simple, sensible steps to prevent these types of robberies.

4 hours ago, Sidecarist said:

That pic is from the inside and you can see the thumb latch on the deadbolt. Locks only provide security up to the strength of the door, glass door frame, etc.

Security for a business like a gun shop needs to be layered to slow down the thief. Given time and tools its easy to break in, but if you can make it take time and make it a pain in the a$$ they will look for an easier target.

Thanks and I could see it once I blew the picture up............:doh:

38 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

Well, our location prevents any high speed vehicles from busting in. The glass in the door was tempered, so the glass shatter sensors didn't have a shattering sound to pick up. The cameras did get video, but that only helps after the fact.

Yep and chances they are local is slim to none. Probably live in Antioch in Gangland!!!

5 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

These guys were your usual stupid thieves. A pair  of channel locks will snap a storefront style door lock mechanism and you walk right in. I know from experience around buildin gs being demo'ed.

Replace that door and bar all the glass. Or put in a full pull down security gate. Place a decent alarm and security camera system. The expense will be worth it.

Actually not that stupid. If they would have opened the door it would have activated the alarm.

The door is made out of laminated glass, the same type of glass that your windshield is made of.  I'm sure they were clothed from head to toe to prevent any minor cuts.  Laminated and tempered glass is used in and around doorways to keep people from getting cut up in case they were to trip and fall while walking towards the door. 

Good luck with catching the scum.

Edited by toby1304

A trip-on-open alarm is the weakest type. Yes they avoided it that way, but there should be a glass break alarm and motion detection in the shop as a secondary coverage. In this case the glass break failed, but it is understandable. Usually they only pick up on theives breaking the glass cases. 

Stiffer measures are usually not in place due to cost pure and simple. Maybe deciding security the same way other business related decisions are decided, is not the best. Most shops of any kind do it that way though. Same thing with video cams. Lots of places have the cheapest one Sam's or another retailer carries. Cheap, but like watching a 1940's movie through fogged up glass.

I really hope you guys catch these guys. Good Luck.

• Like 1