Protech TR-3 vs Magic vs. SOG TAC-OPS?

I can’t make up my mind between the TR-3 SWAT and the Magic BR-1 "Whiskers" with a patterned bolster. So I’m kicking around the idea of ordering both and keeping whichever one I like.

Of these two I think I would rather have the TR-3, but my concern is the blade opening in my pocket... hence the Magic. Has anyone had this happen with the “Magic”?

I probably wouldn’t use the pocket clip, but if I did I would want “tip down” both these show “Tip up”.

Does the Magic have the fast solid release the TR-3 is known for?

The other knife that looks interesting is the SOG TAC-OPS. It’s $40 more than the TR-3 and the same as the Magic. Is the quality and deployment as good as the Protech TR-3?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

I always wanted to try a Whiskers, but never had the chance.  I read about them quite a bit and the accidental deployment sounded like it was an issue for some (think squeeze vs a button press in a pocket).  I would be more concerned if not clipped.  Hopefully someone with more experience responds.

I do have PT and have had zero issues, great knife that's more my size for EDC.

Dave,

i have carried a TR3 in one of several variations  off and on for several years, I have never had one go off in my pocket, the push button release is recessed and that was considered in it's design,

The springs on both the TR3 and BR1 Magic are both very strong one of the reasons Protech is famous

Personally I don't care for safety's on my auto knives and never have, I'm sure you would be happy with either knife 

• Like 1

I have owned the TR3 for several months and carry it daily. I've had no issues with it opening accidentally in pocket and it's been up against keys, phone etc no issues. I carried a benchmade mini grip before this one and actually like the profile of the TR3 better. It's absolutely bigger than the griptilian but just feels slimmer and "sleeker" so to speak in my pocket. It's as regular a fixture as my car keys in my pocket. Never leave home without it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Thanks for the replies. Now I have to decide if I want need one or both. :)

Dave,

if you can make itt to the Church Bazaar I will have some very cool Protech TR3 and other models that I'll make you a good deal on,it will be worth your while 

Edited by willis68