M1a or ar10

Frenchs24

• Admin Team

If you don't have an example of either, I'd choose an M1A.  

I've got an AR-patterned .308 and it's accurate and reliable.  But it doesn't have the soul that the M1A has.  

Truthfully, if I had to grab one in a hurry out  of my safe, I'd choose the walnut stocked Scout Squad every time.  No question.  

• Like 2

It depends on why you want the rifle. If you want a shooter I would go with the AR-10. If you want a real military rifle I would go with the M1 Garand. I never could see paying 1500-1800 for a copy of an M-14, and I can’t spend the money for the real deal. I have a Garand and an AR-10.

Yes I would like a scar 17 but I'm not Ponying up the 3 Gs it cost... not bc I couldn't just bc I won't... I think that price is so stupid... been looking at the loaded m1a with the precision stock... the scout squad... and yes the g2 for AR10... wanting a DMR setup... just don't like the weight of the m1a... if it wasn't so heavy it wouldn't even be a question... 

After working on an AR10T that had issues the factory failed to fix, Im not impressed with them. No adjustable gas is a big concern. I bought a M1A in 1977. After 8 years with it I sold it so I could by a Springfield SAR48. The M1A is a decent shooter but a walker after as little as 8 fast consecutive rounds. Pick up a guide on how to national match bed a M14 and you will see why they are very finicky shooters hot. After you own and spend time behind a FAL, those other 2 don't generate much excitement compared to the proven right arm of the free world.

• Like 2

This is so overwhelming lol... I'm weary of ar10 platform bc of reliability looked at the fal and it's interesting just not sure on accuracy... another thing that's really caught my eye is the ruger sr762 found it abt 1600 not bad... I basically want something I can scope... shoot 500 yds minimum... reliable... not 13 lbs... and under 2000 bucks lol... ruger sr762 might be my best option?

FAL is super cool however a good FAL is a 2MOA gun. There are plenty that will say they can do better but I feel those are the exception not the rule. For a high quality FAL once you add the FAL optics mount and rails you are usually at or approaching $2k before the optic. As far as AR 10, If you are just going to shoot casually and are not a deltasealninjaoperator type you can go to Palmetto State Armory and buy the AR10 complete rifle or upper and lower of your choice for about $700.00 total that will likely serve you just fine and give you more money for ammo and optics. Midwest Industries and Aero Precision both make quality AR 10 variants for the same or less than the Ruger. The Aero can be had from 1499.99 on up depending on barrel/handguard configurations. Aero has been manufacturing OEM parts for other companies for a long time and they offer very high quality for amazingly good prices. Midwest Industries is one of those companies that just about everything they make is good. Ruger, Aero and M.I are all going to weigh about 8.5 lbs empty with a 16 inch barrel. If weight is a major factor there is also the S&W M&P 10 for around $1250 which weighs 7.7 lbs empty with a non free floated 18 inch barrel. If you want get the most out of any of the AR 10 platforms you may want to drop another $200.00ish on a quality trigger and then there is the optic........many people can throw a $300-$500 piece of glass on the rifle and be absolutely satisfied but if you are going to shoot a lot and at longer ranges then save and buy as high quality of glass as possible. 

Edit: i almost forgot the Savage Arms MSR Hunter 10. Sub $1200 AR 10 variant with melonite fluted barrel with 5R rifling and Savage has a long history of making very accurate rifles for a great price.

Edited by Urse
10 hours ago, Frenchs24 said:

... I basically want something I can scope... shoot 500 yds minimum... reliable... not 13 lbs... and under 2000 bucks lol... ruger sr762 might be my best option?

Unless 7.62 is a requirement, a 6.5 Grendel might be worth considering.

• 2 weeks later...

For almost 40 years now, i've had some form of M1A, M14, M21, M25 or now the XM21 from BULA and can certainly state that preference as my tried and true platform.  Messed with a few plastic guns and they just ain't got the magic in my hands.  That said, my vote goes toward you gettin an M1A.

Check out an attempt to modernize my M1A passion with pic rails and carbon fiber that has worked out okay, so far. 

Meet the XM21 in .308 from BULA...

36530503963_3d5d5c4c8b_h.jpg

150 grain Federal Premiums at 100yards...

37195510072_aa3ffb74d2_b.jpg

• Like 1

I've had a M1A with a lot of the whistles and bells. It would only cycle 308's off a machine gun belt. Not even close with my reloads. Ended up putting it in the back of the safe and eventually giving it to my oldest son. He hasn't said anything about it so I figure it's sitting in the back of his safe.

Replaced it with a Ruger AR 762. Great groups, eats everything I feed it, and didn't cost anything like the M1A did.