Hey guys, I'm soon going to be carrying the Taurus PT111 G2 for my EDC. I'm looking for some insight from the folks who may already carry this.

What are some holsters you would recommend for IWB? What do you like about that particular holster, and what is something you dislike about it (if anything), and what position do you carry in?

I appreciate the input. I'm trying to pick my first holster, and I'm just trying to find the best holster for me as quick as possible without spending hundreds of dollars on different types first. 

I have no experience with the Taurus pistol you reference, but I have carried daily for the better part of 30 years. 

I can, without reservation, say that a quality, purpose made belt is the foundation of a carry system...and it is, imho, a system. The belt should be specifically made for handgun carry with the rigidity and shape to support the weight of the handgun and accouterments (spare magazine(s)).

The holster should mate the belt... i.e. the belt slots on the holster should match the belt width. Otherwise the holster will shift around through normal daily movement and you will fidget with it, reach down and touch the darn thing, and constantly be re-positioning it. Kinda defeats the purpose of concealed carry! :rolleyes: The same condition holds true for your magazine pouches.

I personally carry AIWB (appendix) with a Dale Frike Archangel on a Milt Sparks leather gunbelt and it's an excellent system for me. (I'm carrying a Glock 17 as I type this). I also have Kramer gunbelts and have used both Milt Sparks and Kramer leather IWB holster strong side in the past. There is a plethora of quality holsters and belts being made these days. 

But you may well find, like most that carry for any period of time, carry systems are a very individual thing. We are all unique as to our body shapes and dress style, and our needs. I think the majority of folks that choose to responsibly go armed have had to go through several iterations to find that "system" that works best for them...hence the reason why most of us have a "holster box". 

The "Best" holster for "you" is akin to the "best" shoes for you...gotta try them on and see. Good luck with your search and decision. 

• Like 2

Holster maker input here. Echoes the above statements, get a good belt first, that makes all the difference in the world. Second make sure the belt loops/slots/clips match the width of the belt. I.E. 1.75" loops for a 1.75" belt. My final and personal thought is go with something that has two points of suspension on it. There are single clip deals but I've always found those to want to rotate forward or rearward on me which is not what you want. 

• Like 2

Check out UltiClips. These fasteners replace the stock clip on holsters, which you then clip on to the waistband of your pants instead of the belt. Of course, you still need to wear a good belt, but the perfect belt is unnecessary. The pro is the holster does NOT move once you clip it on and you can use it with most normal belts. The con is also that it does not move once you clip it on so you can't shift it around when seated, which might be uncomfortable while driving a car.

FWIW, I make my own holsters out of leather (inside) and Kydex (outside). I'm a skinny guy, and almost every holster I've owned was uncomfortable. Kydex is pretty easy to mold once you get the hang of it. I'm sure there are YouTube videos on how to do this. If you mess up, you just start over with another sheet of Kydex.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Alien Gear holster for my PT-111 and love it. Very comfortable and concealable. It has a neoprene backing that keeps from irritating the skin. The only downside is that the aggressive grip on the pistol can irritate your skin some.

http://aliengearholsters.com/alien-gear-cloak-tuck-3-0-iwb-holster-inside-the-waistband.htmlSANY0668.thumb.JPG.eb5f8630fd235baa59027578612a0904.JPG

Edited by lock n' load
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2017 at 9:05 PM, lock n' load said:

I have an Alien Gear holster for my PT-111 and love it. Very comfortable and concealable. It has a neoprene backing that keeps from irritating the skin. The only downside is that the aggressive grip on the pistol can irritate your skin some.

http://aliengearholsters.com/alien-gear-cloak-tuck-3-0-iwb-holster-inside-the-waistband.htmlSANY0668.thumb.JPG.eb5f8630fd235baa59027578612a0904.JPG

This is actually the exact holster I decided to go with. So far I like it.

And yes, the grip of this gun is really irritating. I bought some A-shirts to wear under it, hopefully that helps.

Get a good belt.  I use a Mitch Rosen express line (quality but not fancy).  It has held up going on 4 years. 

I make my own leather holsters but do have a few kydex that I use depending on the situation.  I don’t think there is any way around ending up with a box of holsters.  My favorite is an own leather holster I made for my full-size 1911.  It is similar in design to Milt Sparks Nexus.  

The leather/kydex cross breeds intrigue me, but I have not used them yet   

Also agree that the holster must fit the belt, however some are specifically designed to shift. Personally I would rather the discomfort then have to constantly adjust my gun. 

Good luck finding that perfect holster and I pray that you have a lifetime of safely using your God-given right of self-defense that can never be taken away from you, just infringed upon.