Verizon vs Straightalk

gregintenn

I'm out in the sticks and thought Verizon was my only option. If anyone here has tried both, I'd like to hear the pros and cons of swapping. I like everything about Verizon but the mortgage sized monthly bill.
I do the Verizon's prepaid plan it's $45.00 a month check it out. I have it automatically charged to one of my CCs it was the cheapest way for me has everything I need.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Some friends of mine had Straight Talk.  They don't live as far in the sticks as I do and they recently swapped to Sprint because Straight Talk wasn't working out for them.  They have said that Sprint's signal/reliability is much better.  I am with Verizon but, because I think their price for unlimited data is too high, I may change to Sprint if it continues to work well for them as Sprint seems to offer a much better deal on unlimited data.  Where I live just about the only option for high speed internet is via satellite dish and, again, that is way too expensive so I use my phone as a mobile hot spot.  That is why it would be really nice to have unlimited data but all the data in the world does no good if the signal sucks where I live.  I wish these places would have 'loaner phones' so a person could try out their service at home and see if the signal is reliable before spending $$$. 

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2
37 minutes ago, JAB said:

Some friends of mine had Straight Talk.  They don't live as far in the sticks as I do and they recently swapped to Sprint because Straight Talk wasn't working out for them.  They have said that Sprint's signal/reliability is much better.  I am with Verizon but, because I think their price for unlimited data is too high, I may change to Sprint if it continues to work well for them as Sprint seems to offer a much better deal on unlimited data.  Where I live just about the only option for high speed internet is via satellite dish and, again, that is way too expensive so I use my phone as a mobile hot spot.  That is why it would be really nice to have unlimited data but all the data in the world does no good if the signal sucks where I live.  I wish these places would have 'loaner phones' so a person could try out their service at home and see if the signal is reliable before spending $$$. 

Sprint doesn't work here.

FYI, depending on which phone you use (zipcode may be a factor too) you can either be on ATT or Verizon while on StraightTalk. Also investigate Cricket if you can use ATT. I've been with them a few years and been really happy. Cricket is especially great if you have multiple lines as each line you add takes $10 of, and it's compounding. So second line is $10 off, third line is $20 off, forth is $30, and if you have the fifth line on the $40 plan, it's free. So I have 5 lines, each with 4GB a month for $100 out the door. Pretty hard to beat...if ATT service is good in your area.

I have had straight talk for years and I'm pretty happy with it. like you, where I live it is either Verizon or ST, I switch because of the bill also. Another plus for ST they just dropped their unlimited talk+ 2GB Data to $35 from $45 online, not sure if they have it on the Wally world cards yet, and they knock off another $5 per month if you have auto refill. So $30 a month for Unlimited Talk and 2GB data is nice if you don't use a lot of data.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, macville said:

FYI, depending on which phone you use (zipcode may be a factor too) you can either be on ATT or Verizon while on StraightTalk. Also investigate Cricket if you can use ATT. I've been with them a few years and been really happy. Cricket is especially great if you have multiple lines as each line you add takes $10 of, and it's compounding. So second line is $10 off, third line is $20 off, forth is $30, and if you have the fifth line on the $40 plan, it's free. So I have 5 lines, each with 4GB a month for $100 out the door. Pretty hard to beat...if ATT service is good in your area.

No AT&T here.

I have been with Cricket since 1998 and yea, their coveage did suck in many areas but fit the bill for me at the time. I had their broad band also when it came out and got great service on computer. About 4 years ago I think AT&T bought Cricket and I had to go get a new AT&T phone at the Cricket Store and I got an LG phone for free because I had been a loyal customer with Cricket for so long. I also had to get a new Broad Band and I had to go to AT&T for that and they also gave me the Go Phone Broad Band unit and just charged me for 1st month service which in $50.00 for 5GB a month and my phone is unlimited with all the options I wanted on it. Back when It was Cricket Service I could not get reception at my daughters home in Alexandria east of Lebanon. Now that it is opearing on AT&T towers I can make and receive calls in her livingroom. Same way with my son that lives in Kingston Springs Tennessee. I can get service now even down in that holler.

I pay $50.00 for Broad band and $25.00 for phone each month. 

22 hours ago, bersaguy said:

I have been with Cricket since 1998 and yea, their coveage did suck in many areas but fit the bill for me at the time. I had their broad band also when it came out and got great service on computer. About 4 years ago I think AT&T bought Cricket and I had to go get a new AT&T phone at the Cricket Store and I got an LG phone for free because I had been a loyal customer with Cricket for so long. I also had to get a new Broad Band and I had to go to AT&T for that and they also gave me the Go Phone Broad Band unit and just charged me for 1st month service which in $50.00 for 5GB a month and my phone is unlimited with all the options I wanted on it. Back when It was Cricket Service I could not get reception at my daughters home in Alexandria east of Lebanon. Now that it is opearing on AT&T towers I can make and receive calls in her livingroom. Same way with my son that lives in Kingston Springs Tennessee. I can get service now even down in that holler.

I pay $50.00 for Broad band and $25.00 for phone each month. 

It also doesn't work here.

• Wow 1
43 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

It also doesn't work here.

Dang son............ Do you get sunshine at all during the day? I know BT use to complain that his Verizon would not work on Dale Hollow lake and they brag about having the best coverage. These days they all seem to brag about their coverage but I think they all have dead zones regardless of who they are. I know last time I was on 840 going to the Boro right about the race track my AT&T lost coverage for about 6 miles and then picked it back up.............Hope you find something that will work for you.................:cheers: 

• Like 1