The Official Range Photo Thread (Prove That You Shoot)

Not sure if this qualifies for this thread as I don't have any pics to add and I technically wasn't the one doing the shooting, but I would be remiss not to mention a shooting event that occurred this weekend at Strategic Edge in Chapel Hill.

Strategic Edge hosted a group called A Soldier's Child Foundation which is comprised of Gold Star kids of various ages (there were 9-20year olds at the range) that come together from around the country and hang out together and participate in various outdoor activities. I had honestly never heard of the group before this, but it's worth reading up on. They are out of Murfreesboro as best I can tell and have a lot of their gatherings based out of the Deer Run Camp.

Anyway, seeing these kids come out to the range, some of whom had never shot before, was truely awesome! They shot everything from .22 pistols, ARs, recurve bows, shotguns, all the way up to a bolt action .50 cal!

I think the joy on their faces was equally matched by that of the range members that brought their own guns and ammo out for the kids to shoot. There were some truely amazing guns on the line, and the kids got to shoot as much or as little as they wanted. There were several that even hit the 1000yrd target with the .50 and a couple long range rigs. While the kids may or may not have realized that they were experiencing a once in a lifetime opportunity that many firearms enthusiasts would have paid dearly for, it was sobering to contemplate the sacrifice and loss that these kids and their families had experienced.

As you can imagine there were certainly some underlying emotions at play, probably just as much for the volunteers that participated. I'm just glad to know that there are organizations out there like A Soldier's Child that are trying to enrich and brighten the lives of these youth that we all owe a dept of gratitude for. 

Edited by Danger Rane
  • Like 4

Trip to Bud's earlier today.

Compared my two CZs.

Equally accurate for me,  2" groups, 10 rounds, 5 - 7 yards.

Next time out, I'll compare using the torture dot drill, starting at 3 yards.

Aim small, miss small my friends.

The P10C is pretty darn nice, but I prefer my 75B.  Considering the minimal size and weight reduction, if I can't carry the 75, I can't carry the P10C"ompact"

For my purposes, it is perfect as a backup, perhaps equipped with a light and covertly carried in the pictured under the radar backpack.

Discovered my eyesight is catching up with my personal race to 50. 

Focus on the front sight, focus on the front sight, why isn't this working properly, close one eye, nope, well hopefully my mechanics are good enough, those sights are just for reference anyway...

IMG_20171104_142352224.jpg

12 hours ago, shotgunshooter said:

I got my permit approved in 3 days. Here's to finally carrying legally!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You mean finally carrying now that you are legal, right? None of us around here would carry without a permit. :angel:

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Prag !

I was out on the range with the guys that came to our regional training day. I had them run the Rastoff Challenge and I shot it too after they did.  That was my target . I took a pic and sent it to Prag to get him to post it since I wouldn’t be able to . 

I also shot the Rangemaster Handgun Core Skills Test with total time of 29.13 and 194 pts for a score of 133.19 (125+ is Master) and shot the Bill Wilson 5x5 drill with a overall time of 17.33 overall (Master is 20 seconds or less) . 

Since most of my range time is spent teaching classes or shooting IDPA matches I don’t often get the opportunity to shoot drills for score with someone else timing me so when the chance presented itself I took it today. 

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I attended a training class held by T3 Concepts here locally.  

http://www.t3concepts1776.com/

I really enjoyed it.  Sad as it may be to admit, I haven’t had any formal training in years.  My primary take-away is that I’ve gotta practice more.  Even 5-10 minutes at the house drawing, gripping, reloading, and failure drills a couple times/week would help. 

I’ve read several books and practice stuff on my own occasionally, but for me, there’s no comparison to having an instructor hovering over your shoulder with a shot timer in his hand.  Which isn’t to imply the instructor (James) put a lot of pressure on the students, quite the opposite.  The instruction was clear, friendly, encouraging, and generally pretty laid back.  Options were presented for several techniques and the students could to pick what they liked best.  It was definitely not a “my way or the highway” sort of environment (unless it was safety related…).

The class was called “fundamental handgun” and that’s exactly what it was, solid fundamental instruction with simple drills to reinforce good habits.  We started with basic draw stroke and grip, then moved to maximum accuracy.  I learned that when the instructor says “take all the time you need to be as accurate as possible”, that’s exactly what he means.  Three shots in 6 seconds isn’t slow.  Three shots in 30 seconds is slow.  Focus on the front sight during recoil and adjust your grip pressure until it tracks straight up/down.  Don’t break the trigger until the sights areexactly where you want them.  That’s harder than it sounds.  

From there we worked to build speed.  Watching how group sizes open up and fundamentals break down as you increase speed from slow, to fast, to too fast, was clearly demonstrated.  If you don’t push yourself into the “too fast” realm, you’ll never get faster.  We also covered reloading techniques, which convinced me to change how I carry spare mags and that I should carry one more often. We also did some failure drills with simulated FTE and double feeds.  Stripping a flush fit mag that’s jammed with a double feed is a pain.  Having to do that while someone was shooting back would really suck.  

Virtually all my misses were low-left. I now know why it happens and how to fix it (grip pressure), but actually fixing it will take time and practice. At the beginning of class they were 6” low-left, at the end of class they were 3” low-left.  That was encouraging.  I’d really like to take this class again, maybe 2 more times before moving up to the next level.  T3 also offers an intermediate level class that is going to be changed slightly and called “everyday carry”.  I’d like to take that, their medical class, and send my wife to their women’s class. 

i-hM9BM4L-L.jpg

• Like 3

My friend of 38 years passed away 2weeks ago at 64, as I was driving to the funeral home Saturday for his service I was thinking of a unique way to honor him, at the service I mentioned to his 3 kids about doing 2100rd salute on Sunday, they all said hell yes, my friend was a serious gun collector as well as his kids too, I felt bad choosing what guns we were going to shoot, it felt like he was looking over my shoulder. There was only 1 rule no suppressors and anything goes louder the better!! I brought 10-1# bags of Tannerite just so happens they had some to...LOL...... Before we started we called the sheriffs dept on ourselves to give them a heads up what was about to go down, we shot 22, 9mm, 5.56, 7.62, 50bmg, mostly FA, I'm pretty sure he heard us!!!

I can't believe my wife went I've only asked like 1000 times over the past 21yrs and it was always no, here's her shooting our M16...

26770771308_3cb0095cce_b.jpg

Edited by Johnny Rotten
  • Like 3
  • Moderators
My friend of 38 years passed away 2weeks ago at 64, as I was driving to the funeral home Saturday for his service I was thinking of a unique way to honor him, at the service I mentioned to his 3 kids about doing 2100rd salute on Sunday, they all said hell yes, my friend was a serious gun collector as well as his kids too, I felt bad choosing what guns we were going to shoot, it felt like he was looking over my shoulder. There was only 1 rule no suppressors and anything goes louder the better!! I brought 10-1# bags of Tannerite just so happens they had some to...LOL...... Before we started we called the sheriffs dept on ourselves to give them a heads up what was about to go down, we shot 22, 9mm, 5.56, 7.62, 50bmg, mostly FA, I'm pretty sure he heard us!!!
I can't believe my wife went I've only asked like 1000 times over the past 21yrs and it was always no, here's her shooting our M16...
26770771308_3cb0095cce_b.jpg

What a way to honor your friend! Great job!
  • Like 1