Ruger Precision Rifle, Anyone have one?

gjohnsoniv

16 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

Dang...

Gotta be a member of the high-power team to shoot the 600,  800, and 1000 yd ranges out there, and I don't have a gun that can do that (yet!)

what is involved in being a member of the "high-power team"? I am growing tired of shooting at 200yd ranges. It baffles me how there are not any further ranges in East TN.

42 minutes ago, tmauto769 said:

what is involved in being a member of the "high-power team"? I am growing tired of shooting at 200yd ranges. It baffles me how there are not any further ranges in East TN.

I think you have to shoot regularly in their matches and attend the meetings.

8 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

(Been thinking Savage, but....) It sure would look 'purty in the gun case next to the Ruger American .22 we bought for the kids!

I smell a mini-meet for TGO'ers at ORSA!

- K

I forgot that Savage jumped in there. Usually can't go wrong with a Savage for accuracy.

That's been my thinking on the bolt-action rifle theory for a while.

There are a lot of good options out there from a variety of manufacturers, each with their pluses and minuses. Savage however has a reasonably priced product that comes with a well regarded trigger system, and is a tack-driver out of the box. Unless there is a specific feature or you're an experienced long distance shooter that wants product-X from a particular manufacturer for a particular reason, Savage is hard to beat. It amazes me when talking about this stuff how some folks don't bat an eye at spending a premium for a product, with the expectation of having to dump another 500-clams into it to make the trigger better, or the sights right, or.... I mean, my goodness. If you spend that extra cake on a decent scope and ammo to p-r-a-c-t-i-c-e, maybe that 800-dollar gun will shoot as good for you as the 1200-dollar one? Just how I look at it, one man's opinion.

- K

6 hours ago, gjohnsoniv said:

I think you have to shoot regularly in their matches and attend the meetings.

Correct. Shoot an eMail to Mike Glassman and ask when the next meeting is. There are specific times when the range is available (if you've never seen it, it cuts across part of the club, so is not open to shoot just any time). There are no fee's or additional due's or anything, they just want to make sure members understand and follow the rules for the safety of all club members.

Alternatively, you could buy a bunch of really small targets and paste 'em up on the 200-yd target stand.  :biglol:

- K

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, ReeferMac said:

Correct. Shoot an eMail to Mike Glassman and ask when the next meeting is. There are specific times when the range is available (if you've never seen it, it cuts across part of the club, so is not open to shoot just any time). There are no fee's or additional due's or anything, they just want to make sure members understand and follow the rules for the safety of all club members.

Alternatively, you could buy a bunch of really small targets and paste 'em up on the 200-yd target stand.  :biglol:

- K

Well they aren't wrong about limiting it, you'd have guys out there cranking off rounds over people's heads.

Smaller targets work to a point. Add wind and mirage and you've got a challenge :)

I'm a fan of the .308 round and do think it might be a tad underpowered for 1k yds. ( for a semi auto at least) It'll do it but not as good as something with a bit more bang behind it. 

Any way, I've got a couple we could drag out there and put to the test. I second a local get together! 

I haven't signed up for ORSA yet because of lack of free time. And want to get my $ worth. In a few months I'll have the time. 

Edited by Ugly

I've got the RPR in 6.5 and love it.  It's my first bolt gun, and first time shooting long range.  I got the Strelock app, and the PST 6-24.  I sat a friend down at the rifle who had never shot long range either and both of us were hitting a chest sized target at 630 yards with consistency.  Very impressive, very fun to shoot and this will definitely take a deer on my land very soon!  I hope to have my range out to 900 yards by the end of winter.  Can't wait!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MemHeli said:

I've got the RPR in 6.5 and love it.  It's my first bolt gun, and first time shooting long range.  I got the Strelock app, and the PST 6-24.  I sat a friend down at the rifle who had never shot long range either and both of us were hitting a chest sized target at 630 yards with consistency.  Very impressive, very fun to shoot and this will definitely take a deer on my land very soon!  I hope to have my range out to 900 yards by the end of winter.  Can't wait!

So I take that as a positive vote for one? 

• 3 weeks later...

I think you will be happy you picked the .308. I look at the application and IMO the .308 can do it all. Plus you can walk in anywhere they sell ammo and get what you need.

Let us know what you think when you get to shoot it.

I’ve wished for a long time we could have get togethers to compare these different rifles in the hands of an unbiased marksman. Finding a Marksman won’t be hard. Finding an unbiased Marksman would be a feat. :) That and finding a place to shoot 1000 yards. 

• Like 1