2017 Deer Season Thread

Slappy

Ok time for our annual officially unofficial deer season thread! Archery Season opens this Saturday, September 23rd! Statewide bag limit on antlered deer is 2. Antelered deer are defined as visible antlers (not including button bucks). I think last year a spike with antlers less than 2" was considered an antlerless deer but that has now, changed. Good luck everyone. Be safe, wear your Saftey harness or dont climb and 3 points of contact when you do.  Now sound off! 

• Like 2

Slappy, excellent thread as always! I look forward to your posts and unparalleled wisdom! 

Unfortunately I will not be sitting in a stand opening morning. I have to work and it's also my wife's birthday but I'll try to get out there with the bow next week! 

• Like 1

Really looking forward to it this year. It's my first year hunting out of a stand.  Last year we did a guided pig hunt in Georgia and really liked the stands they had, so after ground hunting for three years dad and I both bought stands for deer season.  Trail cams don't have any monsters on them, but lots of good activity.  And the monster I got last year wasn't on any cameras either!

I spoiled myself a little this year. I am still using my Mathews Switchback bow, but I picked up a new 1.5 man 17 ft ladder stand, two used ladder stands, and a Millennium m100u lock on with Hawk Helium climbing sticks. Almost too much to choose from.....almost :dirty: 

• Like 3
58 minutes ago, Wingshooter said:

I'm thinking about a full-body duct tape wrap soaked in OFF with a Thermacell hanging around my neck :lol:

Up until a couple years ago I thought ThermaCell was a bunch of hooey. I just knew that I wasn’t gonna emit those fumes and not scare deer off. After hearing SO many people say they won’t hunt bow season without one I decided to try one. Worst case scenario if it made me feel deer were smelling it, I’d use it for camping. Man! I am now a firm believer in those suckers. Unbelievable the difference it makes and so fast after turning it on. I with the rest of you now!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

Don't worry about the chiggers this year... I already got 'em ALL.

I seem to have been able to avoid most the ticks and chiggers, its the freakin wasps and bees that cause me grief up in the stand!  There always seems to be some bug that looks like a something out of the movie Alien that likes to hover in your vicinity sounding like a Huey helicopter.  Hate those things. 

• Like 1

Happy Whitetail Eve, everyone! I'm so excited I can't stand it.
Here's a little ditty for you folks to help put you in the mood.

To the tune of It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year:

It's the most wonderful time of the year
Bucks will be blowing 
and blood will be flowing
when I shoot my deeeeeeeer.

It's the hap-happiest season of all
With those broadheads a glinting 
and spooked fawns a sprinting
When does start to faaaaaall
It's the hap-happiest season of all

There'll be tall tines for hunting
There’s big bucks a grunting
And blood trails on the snow
There'll be thrilling hunt stories
And lies about glories of
Seasons long, long ago

There'll be tons of crossbowing
And blood will be flowing
When I get my deeeeeeeer
It's the most wonderful time of the year!

It's the most wonderful time... the most wonderful time... the most wonderful time to kill deer!

Shoot straight and be safe! Good luck folks!

• Like 3

Can't make it tomorrow, but I'm not missing next weekend.  The temperature around here is going to be too perfect to miss.  I have a decent 10pt on my trail cam that's begging to come home with me.  Gotta get out there before he gets a better offer.

• Like 1

My oldest grandson told me he would be in a tree tomorrow at daylight and hopes to be back at the house by 8 AM. He has three nice bucks on a trail cam that walk right under 1 of his stands every morning about sunrise and he hopes to bag 1 early before the heat gets up.............:clap:

• Like 1

Anyone having any luck? I hunted yesterday till 11am at 94 degrees. Out here at 5:15 this morning and no movement so far. Trying my hand at filming but hasn’t been much to film lol

P.S. Please wear your harness and for goodness sake buy a ThermaCell if you’re hunting this pterodactyl mosquito season!

Well I had one small spike come up to 10 yards at 6:30. He hung out for about 3 or 4 minutes eating and then he eased out quickly. I said “I don’t blame you buddy, I’d leave too if I smelt a stinky sweaty smell like I’m sure I have after 14 hours in the stand!” Haha Whew! Thankful for a full day in the woods y’all!