2017 Deer Season Thread

Slappy

• 2 weeks later...

@Slappy

So I've had very little action to film. Many trips out I didn't see anything and the Panasonic camera is hard for me to see. Maybe I'm just not used to it yet. I started using my GoPro instead and decided to put a video of this Saturdays clips together. I spent a couple hours last night trying to figure out why I couldn't find the editor on YouTube. Then searched on YouTube about it and they took down the editing software in September! Perfect timing for me right? Well I did a little research on editing software and decided on Shotcut. It's free and will do way more than I know how to do for sure. It took some trial and error for sure and my video or editing isn't that good. But I'm going to keep trying and hopefully the action in the woods picks up and I'll have more action to show. Anyway, here's my first ever YouTube video hunting. I hate that you can't see the little buck but he came in to a grunt call and was snorting almost like he was coughing. Came in acting like he was ready to start some trouble. It was pretty dang funny. I snort wheezed at him and he didn't come back, so I reckon he wasn't feeling as froggy as he thought he was. It was entertaining for me for sure. Hope to have more videos to share soon.

• Like 1
Just now, KahrMan said:

Which GoPro were you using. The quality of the video was great. 

GoPro Hero 5 Black. My wife bought it for me after deer season last year so I could film while hunting. I know that not having zoom is probably the biggest drawback using this type of camera. But I can turn it on and off by voice, by button on the camera, or with my iphone and even watch on my phone what is being filmed real time. It's pretty high tech for an old country boy with not much tech savvy lol.

• Like 1

This guy has been walking by the cameras every morning about an hour before sunup the past two weeks.  Haven't seen him before.  There is a sizable rub and scrape about 20 feet to the right of the camera that I'm really hoping is his. 

Muzzle load can't get here fast enough.

Dozer.png

• Like 4

Ruger! Man! Excellent work. That was way better than I was expecting. Haha. Seriously, the production value and content I thought was really good. So, can't wait to see more and see you get a deer down too! Good job man. 

As for me and my hunting this year....since I'm being made to work weekens I won't be able to get out as much as I normally would. I have hunted twice so far. We cleared out an area underneath a powerline on our property. It's about 300-350 yards in length total.  I saw 3 small doe at 200 yards and that's been it! Also had some neirbors dogs run down my section of the powerline too. That wasn't fun. :-( 

i also found a spot on our property that looked very "deerish" so I put up a game camera and haven't told anybody. :-) Turns out there was evidence of an old deer stand right where I set my camera up. So may be a pretty good spot. We shall see! 

Edited by Slappy
  • Like 2

I can tell folks about deer hunting and dogs. About 4 years ago a buddy of mine was hunting on a friends farm and was sitting in his stand about 7AM when he heard some dogs barking way off in the distance. They were heading right in his direction and closing fairly fast. He saw a big buck run out of a field and into a thicket about 30 yards from him and it stopped. He has a pretty good shot at it and he could tell the deer was getting ready to bolt as the dogs drew closer so he dropped the deer and when the guns went off the barking quit and he could see the dogs running back in the direction which they came from. He was in the middle of Field dressing the deer when the game warden walked up to him. He told him that he is under arrest for hunting over dogs whic is illegal. My buddy told him they are not his dogs and he was not hunting over dogs. It took him about 3 hours to get the mess straightened out. The Game warden was in thata rea along with 2 others because several hunters had complained they thought someone was using dogs and they were there trying to catch who ever it is. The land owner finally showed up on the scene after the warden allowed him to call him. The land owner made it clear to the warden that my buddy was a friend of his and his truck was parked back at his house and he had been hunting his land for several years but the dogs just showed up this year and they are not his or the hunters. The warden finally cut him loose. He never found out if they caught the hunters using dogs but said it about ruined his day.  

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I can tell folks about deer hunting and dogs. About 4 years ago a buddy of mine was hunting on a friends farm and was sitting in his stand about 7AM when he heard some dogs barking way off in the distance. They were heading right in his direction and closing fairly fast. He saw a big buck run out of a field and into a thicket about 30 yards from him and it stopped. He has a pretty good shot at it and he could tell the deer was getting ready to bolt as the dogs drew closer so he dropped the deer and when the guns went off the barking quit and he could see the dogs running back in the direction which they came from. He was in the middle of Field dressing the deer when the game warden walked up to him. He told him that he is under arrest for hunting over dogs whic is illegal. My buddy told him they are not his dogs and he was not hunting over dogs. It took him about 3 hours to get the mess straightened out. The Game warden was in thata rea along with 2 others because several hunters had complained they thought someone was using dogs and they were there trying to catch who ever it is. The land owner finally showed up on the scene after the warden allowed him to call him. The land owner made it clear to the warden that my buddy was a friend of his and his truck was parked back at his house and he had been hunting his land for several years but the dogs just showed up this year and they are not his or the hunters. The warden finally cut him loose. He never found out if they caught the hunters using dogs but said it about ruined his day.  

Warden in my area would of just stuck it to him anyway.