2017 Deer Season Thread

Slappy

13 hours ago, smokin45 said:

Nice buck !!!

Thank you!! 

Not a thing moving this morning on this windy warm morning. Not where I was anyway. Hung a new camera close to some rubs and scrapes I found on the way out. At Stones River range getting ready to sight in my CVA for black powder season. May head back out afterwards. 

6 hours ago, rugerla1 said:

Thank you!! 

Not a thing moving this morning on this windy warm morning. Not where I was anyway. Hung a new camera close to some rubs and scrapes I found on the way out. At Stones River range getting ready to sight in my CVA for black powder season. May head back out afterwards. 

Did you get back out and if so what's the verdict??  

1 hour ago, smokin45 said:

Did you get back out and if so what's the verdict??  

I did go back out, it was warmer than I wanted but overcast soon made that feel better. I started having a good feeling about 5:30. But half an hour before last legal to shoot opportunity, one of the neighbors started riding the property line back and forth. Not the first time either. He did it over and over until I decided to get down before he made me mad enough to say something. As I was walking out he came by again and shined a big light right through the woods I’d just walked out of. It’s not my property but a friend of mines who has let me hunt it for years. If it wasn’t for not wanting to start trouble between him and the idiots I’d be talking with him and his Dad. They walked in on me a couple weeks ago, got 10 yards from me and I said “How ya doin!” Scared them both and then they said they were looking for a doe. But they weren’t “looking for a shot doe” the way I do it, just strolled right in. I kinda wish now I hadn’t said anything because they were coming right to my stand. Anyway, sorry for the long story, just irritated. 

14 minutes ago, smokin45 said:

Well that's a great howdy do. Obviously looking to ruin hunting on your friends land. Hang in there they can't be there all the time.

Yessir! Like I say, it's not the first time. I'm just going to keep hunting the other side of the ridge so I don't have to see it if they're doing it. Cold weather is coming and deer hunting is supposed to be fun, not stressful so I'll do what I have to so it stays that way.

• 1 month later...

I posted earlier in the thread about poachers and trespassers on my sons land. Well after the game warden saw the pictures on the trail cams and knew who 2 of them were he went to have a talk with them. The first one said he was not on my sons land and that just made the game warden mad cause the guy lied to him so he stuffed him in his truck in cuffs and went and visited the second guy and he also denied being on the land and denied shooting any deer when they were dragging a doe in two of the pictures. The game warden had the camera and showed them the pictures. Then he said he wanted to see their hunting licenses. Neither one of them had one and yet they had a doe. He radioed for back up and took both of them to jail over in Cheatham county jail. They went up in front of the judge and the judge gave them both 30 days in jail and stern warning that if they were caught poaching or trespassing again the sentence would be 11/29. So I guess they won't be doing much hunting any time soon but I told my son and grand son to be on their toes for a while after these guys get out. I don't know any of them but if the game warden does thats a pretty good indication they don't pay much attention to laws. 

• Like 6

Been hunting 2 weeks and haven't seen a deer of any kind . Found the rubs , found the scrapes , just not finding the deer . Have only seen one doe standing in a roadside field this week . Guess they are laying up all day and only moving at night in my area . I got tired of sitting this morning and got down and spent 3 hours busting brush trying to run some out . No luck . In years past I have always seen 15- 30 deer a day on my place , mostly does but they were there . Now I am not seeing or even hearing any move . They logged the place across the road from me , stripped most of it to bare dirt . I got to wonder if that and this hot weather has thrown them off ? Looks like it's gonna be a hungry year at my house if things don't get better . Anybody know how to make a Country Ham taste like the Christmas Deer Roast ?????default_confused.gif

Eddie

Edited by Eddie Southgate
1 hour ago, Eddie Southgate said:

Been hunting 2 weeks and haven't seen a deer of any kind . Found the rubs , found the scrapes , just not finding the deer . Have only seen one doe standing in a roadside field this week . Guess they are laying up all day and only moving at night in my area . I got tired of setting this morning and got down and spent 3 hours busting brush trying to run some out . No luck . In years past I have always seen 15- 30 deer a day on my place , mostly does but they were there . Now I am not seeing or even hearing any move . They logged the place across the road from me , stripped most of it to bare dirt . I got to wonder if that and this hot weather has thrown them off ? Looks like it's gonna be a hungry year at my house if things don't get better . Anybody know how to make a Country Ham taste like the Christmas Deer Roast ?????default_confused.gif

Eddie

ROFLMAO!!!   If I had a Country Ham in my house the Deer Roast would remain in the Freezer a while and I would have a Conuntry Ham dinner on Christmas..............JMHO  :drool: I would almost kill for a Country Ham. They have been out of my price range for too many years to remember..............:doh:

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, bersaguy said:

ROFLMAO!!!   If I had a Country Ham in my house the Deer Roast would remain in the Freezer a while and I would have a Conuntry Ham dinner on Christmas..............JMHO  :drool: I would almost kill for a Country Ham. They have been out of my price range for too many years to remember..............:doh:

We usually have Turkey & dressing and Country Ham but also my sisters husband does a crock pot of backstraps with carrots, taters and onions . I eat a plate of each before I go to my baby sisters to eat . Hopefully I will get a couple so I can give him one otherwise I get no deer at Christmas. Besides , my dad died in august and I have three of his rifles that I really want to get a deer with this year . He wasn't able to hunt last year and his High Wall 38-55 has yet to get blooded . I'll be off again Thursday and Friday and its supposed to be colder so maybe my prospects will improve .

Eddie

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Eddie Southgate said:

We usually have Turkey & dressing and Country Ham but also my sisters husband does a crock pot of backstraps with carrots, taters and onions . I eat a plate of each before I go to my baby sisters to eat . Hopefully I will get a couple so I can give him one otherwise I get no deer at Christmas. Besides , my dad died in august and I have three of his rifles that I really want to get a deer with this year . He wasn't able to hunt last year and his High Wall 38-55 has yet to get blooded . I'll be off again Thursday and Friday and its supposed to be colder so maybe my prospects will improve .

Eddie

Sorry bout your Dad and hope you can bag at least 1 deer for your "Back Strap Fever" cause some traditions just need to continue at Christmas Time..............:cheers:

• Like 1
10 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Sorry bout your Dad and hope you can bag at least 1 deer for your "Back Strap Fever" cause some traditions just need to continue at Christmas Time..............:cheers:

Was colder this morning . Saw one Big buck standing on the bypass in Pulaski this morning , very nice rack . Saw another heavy 4 pointer down the road from the house on the way home . Maybe it's just been the heat , must be just moving at night and laying up all day . Amen to the quote above , I'm all about tradition ..........and groceries !default_drool.gif

Eddie

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:30 PM, Eddie Southgate said:

Eddie

Sorry about your dad.... I killed a nice fat doe a few years ago with a 94 SRC in 38-55, she dropped like  a stone.

Hope that High Wall gets blooded.

• Like 1

Still not seeing any deer . Last year there were does standing in every field around here , now I'm not even seeing that . Have seen a very few bucks crossing the roads but that's about it . Gonna still hunt this afternoon and see if I can't walk up on one .  Got scrapes and rubs around the stand I'm hunting but not getting any day traffic , checked one of the bigger scrapes yesterday and it had been freshly visited so I know they are still around . Can't see or hear them it's kinda hard to kill them .

Dad was 81 and 6 months old . Retired twice , USAF first (26 years active and 4 reserve) then from Square D in Smyrna . He was an SRO at the range in Mt Juliet for a number of years . He scrapped copper and cast and sold bullets as well as making jigs for Hoppys in his spare time . He was able to do most of that untill the last few months .He was a hunter , fisherman and a first class reloader and gun crank . Was married to my stepmother for 49 years and raised 5 kids . He had a pretty good life !

Eddie

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Eddie Southgate said:

Still not seeing any deer . Last year there were does standing in every field around here , now I'm not even seeing that . Have seen a very few bucks crossing the roads but that's about it . Gonna still hunt this afternoon and see if I can't walk up on one .  Got scrapes and rubs around the stand I'm hunting but not getting any day traffic , checked one of the bigger scrapes yesterday and it had been freshly visited so I know they are still around . Can't see or hear them it's kinda hard to kill them .

Dad was 81 and 6 months old . Retired twice , USAF first (26 years active and 4 reserve) then from Square D in Smyrna . He was an SRO at the range in Mt Juliet for a number of years . He scrapped copper and cast and sold bullets as well as making jigs for Hoppies in his spare time . He was able to do most of that untill the last few months .He was a hunter , fisherman and a first class reloader and gun crank . Was married to my stepmother for 49 years and raised 5 kids . He had a pretty good life !

Eddie

Sounds like he lived a full life and I would be willing to bet I probably fish a lot of the Jigs he made for Hoppys. I had wholesale license back then and I bought a ton of Hoppy's Jigs, Spinner baits, Buzz baits and Black Lights. I was able to buy directly from Kelmar Wholesale. I still talk with Little John some if I am fishing Percy Priest lake and launch at Fate Sanders. If I am close by at lunch time I will run up to the marina to say hi to him and have lunch. Has been a year or so now as when I fish Priest now it is at night and the marina resturant is closed.

Edited by bersaguy

Bersaguy ,

My dad ( Ed ) spent a lot of time drinking coffee at the marina . Him and Hoppy were friends for as long as I can remember . He was stationed at Smyrna when Priest was impounded . He fished Priest a lot , said he had hunted on most of it before the lake was built and knew where all the good structure was . He was a real fisherman . The officers where he was stationed would get him relieved to fish for them whenever the wanted to have a fish fry . Sixty years is a long time to have someone be a part of your life and then have them just be gone . Getting old is hell , as my mother used to say " It ain't for Sissies ".

Eddie

Dad in 1955

Dad2jpg.jpg

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Eddie Southgate said:

Bersaguy ,

My dad ( Ed ) spent a lot of time drinking coffee at the marina . Him and Hoppy were friends for as long as I can remember . He was stationed at Smyrna when Priest was impounded . He fished Priest a lot , said he had hunted on most of it before the lake was built and knew where all the good structure was . He was a real fisherman . The officers where he was stationed would get him relieved to fish for them whenever the wanted to have a fish fry . Sixty years is a long time to have someone be a part of your life and then have them just be gone . Getting old is hell , as my mother used to say " It ain't for Sissies ".

Eddie

Dad in 1955

Dad2jpg.jpg

I guess I have know Big John and Little John Hopkins for about 25+ years. I remember when Lil John really got into Bass fishing and was very good at it. He wanted to go Pro but big John had other plans for him.....lol When Lil John got married his dad retired and gave him Kelmar Wholsale and Fate Sanders Marina which of course ended his dream of Pro bass fishing because it took up all of his time running the businesses. As far as hunting Priest lake I have also hunted it but only on the Islands during Muzzle Loader or Bow and had to get to them by boat. I don't think they allow you to hunt them anymore. Have not been in many years. There may be a chance I met your father at Fate Sanders Marina while he was drinking coffee over there. I would go back when Big John was running it and when Lil John took it over. I was there about a year ago but don't go up there much now because I night fish and the marina resturant is closed at night. Your mother was very correct when she said getting old is not for Sissies!!!!!

Hope you have that Back Strap on Christmas as its a tradition that needs to continue.......:cheers: 

Edited by bersaguy