2017 Deer Season Thread

Slappy

20 hours ago, Sidinman said:

Took this little fella last week with my shorty 35 Rem. 70 yds and he ran about 80 yds.
Was using a 200 gr RCBS cast pushed by 24.5 grs IMR 4198

RP 6b9ff6a02951ee83b0bf8e0ad1d04316.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

What scope is that ? Looking for a good straight tube in 30mm for a lever action . Tell me about that one .

Eddie

Well I’ve been mia for a few years now but looks like there’s still a few familiar faces on the annual deer thread. I’ve had a busy few years (have had to babies and employment changes) so I sort of lost track of some things, TGO being one of them, but thought about some of you guys tonight and figured I’d stop by. Hope all you guys had had an enjoyable deer season so far whether you’ve killed anything or not!

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone still hunting?  Seems between rain and frigid cold the season has been sub par.  Worst season I've had in several years.  I've always heard that cold weather gets deer moving but I've experienced the opposite.  60 to 40 they move great, 40 to 20 they hole up.  And they seemed to have disappeared in the past few days.  I figured they would have to eat at some point.  I sat legal light to legal light yesterday and didn't see a thing, today is going to be a repeat of that if something doesn't show in the next hour.  I have seen some deer along the roads after dark.  The full moon probably isn't helping, but I thought they still may come out to graze mid day.  

I did quite a bit of windshield time Saturday in the rural areas where I live.  I saw deer everywhere and some in places I've never seen them before from early morn until late that Saturday night.  Since the cold front has passed and traveling in the same area I've not seen a single deer for three days.

1 hour ago, 10-Ring said:

Anyone still hunting?  Seems between rain and frigid cold the season has been sub par.  Worst season I've had in several years.  I've always heard that cold weather gets deer moving but I've experienced the opposite.  60 to 40 they move great, 40 to 20 they hole up.  And they seemed to have disappeared in the past few days.  I figured they would have to eat at some point.  I sat legal light to legal light yesterday and didn't see a thing, today is going to be a repeat of that if something doesn't show in the next hour.  I have seen some deer along the roads after dark.  The full moon probably isn't helping, but I thought they still may come out to graze mid day.  

You're tougher than I am. That north wind is miserable. I can't imagine sitting out in it all day.