Pure genius - way to give a dog a bath

Sam1

Bandit and Brigand have resigned themselves to the fact I am bigger, stronger and more ornery than they are. They suffer through it. Bandit after four years recently walked herself to the tub and just accepted her fate. Brigand enjoys her baths. If only every dog could be a Lab.

I have always bathed them while I showered, thus eliminating two birds and not getting frustrated at being soaked myself at the end.

I may try this, it could possibly make the experience better for them. 

For what it is worth I have told my daughter since she was small there is but one fact in this world. Vae Victis. "Woe to the Conquered." Translated in modern time as the age old, and true, "Might Makes Right." For right or wrong, it is a motto I live by, and it keeps my family fed, and my dogs secure in the pack hierarchy. IMO might can be brawn, brain or guile. I use them all as it suits me.

• Like 1

My dog doesn't like getting baths.  At all.  She does, however, have a desire to please me that leads to her generally obeying what I tell her whether she really wants to do something or not.  She is also very smart and understands a lot of what I say to her conversationally (never formally trained her with many 'commands' and rarely have to use 'command voice'.)  If I call her to the bathroom and tell her to get in the tub she will.  She will then proceed to look at me as if she is the most pitiful creature in the world the whole time I am giving her a bath and drying her off.  When I tell her that it is okay to get out of the tub she leaps out and runs as if escaping a marauding lion - but she cooperates while she is getting a bath.  Yeah, she is usually a really, really good dog.

• Like 1

We gave our boxer Roxy a bath in our walk in shower that is equipped with a separate hand held shower hose.  We would just ask her if she wanted a bath, she would follow us into the bathroom, walk into the shower stall and stand there while we gave her the bath.  She loved the attention and rubbing, and she got a chance to drink from the shower head which she also loved.  When done with the bath, she would stand still while I toweled her off, and stood still for a hair dryer as well.  She never put up a fight or resisted taking a bath.  We got very lucky with Roxy.

32 minutes ago, Slappy said:

Unfortunately I don't think my Great Dane will fall for this.  He HATES baths, and a 150lb dog that thinks he's about to die if he gets a bath is not fun to deal with.  The goober loves swimming.  I don't get it.  

That's my Redbone Coonhound also. He's about 85# and will spread all 4 legs out so I can't even drag him through the door. We have to tie him up after a walk on the leash and then he gets a shower from the hose and shampoo. That method can't always be used in winter though. He hates water.

I have a feeling he would find a way to get that peanut butter and avoid the bath.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Slappy said:

Unfortunately I don't think my Great Dane will fall for this.  He HATES baths, and a 150lb dog that thinks he's about to die if he gets a bath is not fun to deal with.  The goober loves swimming.  I don't get it.  

10 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

That's my Redbone Coonhound also. He's about 85# and will spread all 4 legs out so I can't even drag him through the door. We have to tie him up after a walk on the leash and then he gets a shower from the hose and shampoo. That method can't always be used in winter though. He hates water.

I have a feeling he would find a way to get that peanut butter and avoid the bath.

Wear them out until they give in. Walk, run, ball, frisbee, whatever....  tire them out until they don't care anymore. 

• Like 1

Believe me Kasey will not ever get in my tub even if I had a round steak cooked and hanging on the faucet neck of the tub. She will not eat peanut butter period. I got lucky about 10 years ago and got introduced a dog groomer that likes Bass fishing and he will bathe her in trade for fishing baits so once a month she gets a bath and he gets fishing baits............:cheers:

18 hours ago, Slappy said:

Wow.  That sounds like it could require drastic measures - like securing your pup for a safe ride in the back of a pickup and going through the car wash or something. :biglol:

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1