PSA: Death Wish Coffee

GlockSpock

2 hours ago, bersaguy said:

:doh:Why would any company give one of their food products the name "Death Wish" In the first place? There is no way I would buy that stuff unless I did actually have a death wish which I don't................JMHO

I take it you're not a hot sauce connoisseur.  They have all kinds of crazy names including "Death Wish".

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Garufa said:

I take it you're not a hot sauce connoisseur.  They have all kinds of crazy names including "Death Wish".

I like hot sauce but it does not like me. Once in a while I might add a little Texas Pete to a bowl of white beans but thats about it any more. Back in my younger days Iit was the hotter the better but like all things age does have it's disadvantages and that is one of them for me........:cheers:

4 hours ago, bersaguy said:

:doh:Why would any company give one of their food products the name "Death Wish" In the first place? There is no way I would buy that stuff unless I did actually have a death wish which I don't................JMHO

I don't drink much coffee (I like coffee but coffee doesn't like me) but I imagine it is kind of like Denis Leary said about smokers.  He was talking about how a surgeon general's warning wasn't going to make a bit of difference to real smokers (such as himself.) He said something along the lines of, "You could come out with a brand of cigarettes in a black pack with a skull and crossbones and call them Tumors and people would be lining up around the block to get the things."

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JAB said:

I don't drink much coffee (I like coffee but coffee doesn't like me) but I imagine it is kind of like Denis Leary said about smokers.  He was talking about how a surgeon general's warning wasn't going to make a bit of difference to real smokers (such as himself.) He said something along the lines of, "You could come out with a brand of cigarettes in a black pack with a skull and crossbones and call them Tumors and people would be lining up around the block to get the things."

Smoking is my real VICE that I would like to stop and have done it a few times and longest was 6 months about 3 years ago and still cannot tell you why I ever started back!!! I am 69 years old and been smoking 59 of them except for the few times I quit. I asked my doctor about it and her exact reply to me was that I have been smoking so long that she said patches and Chantix and other stuff on the market would most likely fail to help me. She said that most likely those medications might even throw my body in some kind of shock. I have made up my mind that I am going to cut back on them and see if I can go cold turkey one more time and make it happen this time.

Good luck, Bersaguy!  There are several quotes from Mark Twain about smoking.  I think one of the best and most clever - which is about how difficult it is to stop smoking and not go back - is:

"Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times."

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Gotthegoods said:

I quit the 8th and final time about 4 years ago.

Still miss it and could fire one up right now.

Outside of the health impact, I always have folding money in my pocket and buy fewer soft drinks from the quickie Mart.

Well, I have quit buying cartons and gone to buy only a couple packs at a time which is slightly more costly which is also making it more of a deterent for me to smoke as many. I am also using a plan a buddy of mine used when he got ready to quit to see if it works for me. I get up at the same time each day and have my coffee and breakfast biscuit and I would have a smoke right after the biscuit. About a week ago I began doing the 1/2 hour program which means each day I have to wait 1/2 hour later each day before lighting up. Since I am up at 7AM on the first day I lit up right after my biscuit. The next day I waiting 1/2 hour after my biscuit which put me lighting up at 7:30 AM and then it was 8AM and so on and so forth and today it was 11AM when I lit up and I almost fell off and lit up early but held out. It is not normal for me to have as many cigarettes in a pack as I am having each night! 

I just hope I can stand firm and eventually reach the point that I run out of hours in a day to light one up and can be strong enough to push through it.................:cheers:

• Like 1

Good luck, it is hard. Some tricks I used to win: only smoke outside, when a craving hits - fight it for 5-7 minutes, and ask God for His help!

I talked to Him and my friend Jesus quite a bit, had to, nicotine withdrawal turned me into quite the asshole and reduced my tolerance level to near zero.

I did not go cold turkey, my last and final victory was aided by e-cigs.