church shooting near Nashville

john455

I am not a person that attends church often but very strong believer in the Father, Son and Prayer and if I did attend a church I would definately be armed. I would be one of the Sheep Dogs guarding the flock for sure. Prayers being sent for those church members.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, A516 said:

It is sad but I know several church deacons/members at my church discreetly carry pistols in Sneaky Pete, etc. holsters.  And we are well away from a metropolitan carry.

I don't see any thing to be sad about 516. The Deacons/members are just keeping the flock of sheep safe from harm. Every flock should have at least 1 or 2 Sheep Dogs...........JMHO

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sam1 said:

Thank god (no pun intended) someone on site at least had a gun in their vehicle to stop the thug.

From what I read in another article as soon as he was confronted by another person with a gun he tried to kill himself. Typical coward as are most all these types of thugs. The second they are confronted by another gun they pop themselves.............:mad:

6 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

From what I read in another article as soon as he was confronted by another person with a gun he tried to kill himself. Typical coward as are most all these types of thugs. The second they are confronted by another gun they pop themselves.............:mad:

Seems at this point than an UNARMED usher confronted the shooter, they tussled, the perp was somehow shot in chest with his own gun, maybe even self inflicted. THEN, the hero went to his car and got his gun, in case there was more trouble.

Reporting subject to change of course.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Seems at this point than an UNARMED usher confronted the shooter, they tussled, the perp was somehow shot in chest with his own gun, maybe even self inflicted. THEN, the hero went to his car and got his gun, in case there was more trouble.

- OS

The report I read the usher tried to stop him but was struck in the head by the guy with the pistol and then went and got his gun from his car and confronted the guy. There will probably be 10 different stories before it is all known.................:doh:

26 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

- OS

Always hate hearing these stories, but then you try to find out as much info as soon as possible, and none of it is ever right.  Guess I need to implement a cool-off period and let the news get a good solid 24 hours in before starting to pay attention to the story.

2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Not a big Church of Christ contingent in Sudan.:shrug:Why the hell is it so hard to piece this puzzle together?

I'm not really seeing your point. We shouldn't allow people from Africa? I don't know much about Sudan.I don't think this guy was Muslim if that's what you're getting at. He was a former member of this church.

8 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I'm not really seeing your point. We shouldn't allow people from Africa? I don't know much about Sudan.I don't think this guy was Muslim if that's what you're getting at. He was a former member of this church.

I don't know his reason yet, but:

97% of the population adheres to Islam, with the overwhelming majority being adherents of the Sunni Sufi branch and the Maliki school of Islamic jurisprudence (with growing Shia Muslim minority).

9 hours ago, Erik88 said:

He's a friggin Muslim, Erik! Is that plain enough for ya?

15 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

- OS

The hero in this case is the fiancee of one of my church members, Bailey, whom I've watched grow up. He attended our church frequently, and believe they split time between their churches like most couples do when they belong to different churches. He confronted the gunman, unarmed, and got pistol-whipped because the gun was empty when the gunman aimed it at him and pulled the trigger. Courage is not the absence of fear; it's doing what's necessary despite your fear. I'd say that his bravery is unquestionable.

The lesson here is to have your gun on your person; not in your car, because it can happen to you!

Edited by SWJewellTN
Clarity
  • Like 8
  • Admin Team
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

He's a friggin Muslim, Erik! Is that plain enough for ya?

The shooter was known to some of the members and had attended there in the past.  

Sometimes these stories are more complex than we want to make them. I’m afraid there’s more to come on this story. 

Its easy - even for me to look at little churches like this like they’re dying.  But, in reality so many churches in south Nashville are multi-ethnic and a lot more diverse than some of their larger suburban neighboring churches.  

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

The shooter was known to some of the members and had attended there in the past.  

Sometimes these stories are more complex than we want to make them. I’m afraid there’s more to come on this story. 

Its easy - even for me to look at little churches like this like they’re dying.  But, in reality so many churches in south Nashville are multi-ethnic and a lot more diverse than some of their larger suburban neighboring churches.  

I doubt the truth regarding this tragedy will ever be made public.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Many years in the past; not like it's recent history. This wasn't a "They pissed me off so I'm gonna go kill them off" type of thing. They hadn't seen this guy for years.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I find the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. I have no proof, however, in my assertion, and stand to be corrected if it plays out another way.

Supposedly they have started a Federal Civil Rights investigation, so you may be right.  

• Admin Team

He'd sure be the first Muslim I've ever met named Emanuel.

I don't know that it matters - we've got all kinds of people in this world that are consumed by their hatred.  The church should stand in start contrast to that - so I guess it shouldn't surprise us when we are targeted.

There's a prayer service happening this afternoon at 1500CDT at Woodmont Hills this afternoon on Franklin Pike if any of you are so inclined.

• Like 3