I like the .45 Colt...

Bob Wright

My first handgun was a .45 Colt New Service, and I've had a lot of respect for that caliber ever since.  Here, some of my .45s:

100_9996.jpg

The .45 Colt round has been around a long, long time.  I believe the first cartridges were made by the old Union Metallic Cartridge Co. for Army trials.  Soon Frankford Arsenal began production of the .45 Colt round.  These were inside primed, copper cased cartridges:

100_52041.jpg

Though the .45 Colt round didn't last too long with the Army, as the Army adopted the shorter .45 S&W round shortly after.  But the old round was, sort of, resurrected some years later for the Colt New Service M-1909 revolver:

100_52071.jpg

Old as it is, the old .45 keeps on truckin'.

Bob Wright

• Like 3

I love these old 45 Colts too... A favorite, right next to the great 44 special... Thanks for the "show and tell"... I've burned lotsa powder thru the old model blackhawks in 45 colt, back when it was the latest craze... The hot loaded 45 colt is the equal of anyone's 44 mag balistically (...using the old data...)... There is no substantial difference in 'em... I don't do that anymore... Got too old and too weak ta hold em... Now the loads are in the "real" 45 colt range; with my all-time favorite loading black powder loads and soft cast bullets...

We only have eleven 45 colts at the house... One smith, two colts, and eight rugers of various flavors... Ya can't have too many 45 colts...

leroy...

I recently bought my first 45 Colt/45 ACP Ruger Redhawk 4.2 inch barrel thinking I would shoot mostly ACP with the moon clips and quickly learned to love the more powerful Colt round. So Far I have sent the cylinder off and had it reamed to .4525 and changed the main spring and wow what a fine shooter it is.  

• Like 1

Man, those are nice looking revolvers!  I don't have a revolver in .45 Colt.  In fact, as I don't have anything in .45acp, the only thing I have in .45 at all is a Comanche I recently inherited from my mom (single shot, break action .410/.45 Colt pistol.)  I would kind of like to have a Circuit Judge as I have been fascinated with revolver carbines ever since I learned that they existed (after a trip to a museum as a kid.)  Thing is, I already have a SBH, a Taurus Tracker and a Marlin (pre-safety) lever in .44 Magnum and, as I don't seem to be able to find the time to reload much these days, those are my 'expensive ammo' guns (at least what I consider expensive.)  Maybe one day when/if I have more time to reload the .45 Colt will be on my list.

Edited by JAB
On 10/3/2017 at 7:11 PM, RED333 said:

Here is my favorite, Cap and Ball with a conversion cylinder. Makes it a 45 Colt.

20171003_190419.jpg

Handsome gun!  I'm not about to get into black powder at this stage of my life, but they were, and are, among some of the hamdsomest of revolvers.

Bob Wright

• 2 weeks later...

The .45colt is just so versatile......some folks even think they are weak, but they know not of what they speak, not from experience anyway.

My favorites are still my Rugers, but I have a few barrels also for my TC Contender, and some carbines.

1 hour ago, ozo said:

The .45colt is just so versatile......some folks even think they are weak, but they know not of what they speak, not from experience anyway.

My favorites are still my Rugers, but I have a few barrels also for my TC Contender, and some carbines.

Yes it it, load it from a lite 200 gran boolit all the way up to a 300 gran heavy weight, Ruger only.

• 3 months later...

I happened to be taking some pics today and remembered this old thread. So I resurrected it just to show off a little. :rolleyes:

I'm quite fond of the .45 Colt myself. I just happen to prefer the Smith & Wesson versions. :bow:

yQswDjG.jpg

The one on the bottom right is a .45acp. But its still a .45. ;)

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

I happened to be taking some pics today and remembered this old thread. So I resurrected it just to show off a little. :rolleyes:

I'm quite fond of the .45 Colt myself. I just happen to prefer the Smith & Wesson versions. :bow:

yQswDjG.jpg

The one on the bottom right is a .45acp. But its still a .45. ;)

Love those Smiths! I have a few myself, maybe not that pretty. lol