Buying a rifle in another state

loadedp3at

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming you meet all of the "normal" federal requirements, then by federal law, yes can buy a long gun from an FFL (no private sales) as long as its legal to own in TN (don't of any that wouldn't be).  Don't know if MS has any state laws that are more strict that federal law.

No pistols though.

While a TN resident I have bought a rifle face-to-face from a dealer in Florida.

Yes.  By federal law, a resident of any state may buy long guns from an FFL in any other state. Though some states have limitations on that via their own state laws.

It's always possible to run into an FFL (usually smaller shops) that won't do it for one reason or other. Their main reason being that there are a number of states that have "contiguous state" laws, ban certain type firearms, and so on which they are also mandated to obey, so they just make it simple for themselves and only sell to their own residents rather than keep up with all the laws.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I recently purchased a rifle in MS and got a Hold placed on it by NICS for several days.  Several years ago I made a purchase in GA and it had a hold placed on it before later being approved.  My purchases in TN don't have this problem.  I have recently completed a Voluntary Appeal File Application for the NICS in the hope this will prevent future delays from them.

Delays are always possible and could cramp your travel plans if it happens. 

Plan ahead and be prepared to either stick around or wait till they finally get around to clearing you and going back to pick it up. 

i am still baffled as to why a handgun is different. My primitive mind is not capable of seeing a valid reason I suppose. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, you can buy face to face. In most free states, you just have to be residents of the same state and not be a felon. Some would advocate a bill of sale for your own protection. I purchased 2 pistols, two .22lr revolvers and a semi, from a dealer about a year ago. I know the dealer said something about having to report it, but I did not care.

Edited by Gillette
Any state that borders TN is OK for long guns. As stated above no handguns. 

That was the law that passed in 86, you could buy a long gun from a dealer in a neighboring state. Attached to that law was the ban on sales of full auto weapons made after 86. The NRA comprised allowing that in exchange for the bill passing. Later the law was expanded to include any state provided the long gun was legal to own in the buyer's state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, et45 said:

That was the law that passed in 86, you could buy a long gun from a dealer in a neighboring state.

No, that was part of Gun Control Act of 1968.

14 hours ago, et45 said:

...Later the law was expanded to include any state provided the long gun was legal to own in the buyer's state.

As per Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986.

- OS

As per Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986.

- OS

Prior to 86 if you purchased a long gun from another state it had to be transferred to a dealer in your state ( I remember because I had to do it)

2 hours ago, et45 said:

Prior to 86 if you purchased a long gun from another state it had to be transferred to a dealer in your state ( I remember because I had to do it)

Was it from an adjoining state? Original GCA of 1968 allowed rifle/shotgun purchase from FFL in contiguous states to one's own. AFAIK, this was in force until FOPA in 1968, which allowed same in all states. 

That of course doesn't mean some FFLs wouldn't do it, same as today. Also, some states put same verbiage into their own state laws, and  there are indeed several states that still mandate it -- NM, for somewhat of a surprising example, only did away with the conditon recently.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Was it from an adjoining state? Original GCA of 1968 allowed rifle/shotgun purchase from FFL in contiguous states to one's own. AFAIK, this was in force until FOPA in 1968, which allowed same in all states. 

That of course doesn't mean some FFLs wouldn't do it, same as today. Also, some states put same verbiage into their own state laws, and  there are indeed several states that still mandate it -- NM, for somewhat of a surprising example, only did away with the conditon recently.

- OS

He was from Kentucky, it was at a gun show. The dealer had to take it back to Kentucky and ship it to a dealer here. The FFL dealer here was at the show and was doing all the transfers for out of state dealers.

27 minutes ago, et45 said:

He was from Kentucky, it was at a gun show. The dealer had to take it back to Kentucky and ship it to a dealer here. The FFL dealer here was at the show and was doing all the transfers for out of state dealers.

???

An FFL can only sell from his licensed location in his state, with exceptions for gun shows in his state. So obviously a KY FFL couldn't sell outright in TN, unless he had a separate license for this state.  So this is not the same as you going to KY to buy it from him at his shop or a show in KY.

But why didn't he simply transfer it through the TN FFL at the show, which would have been legal as an FFL or even as a private citizen from any state?  There's no diff in mailing it or just handing it to a TN FFL for the transfer to you.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot