Taurus Millennium G2 PT111 for $199

FortKnox

Just got an email from Rural King that says for this week they have the Taurus G2 for sale for $199.

I am in the market to finally get a semiauto 9mm and the price is to good to pass up that you would be tempted to buy two of them but, it's a Taurus, which can be hit or miss. 

So, does anyone have any experience with this one? Thanks.

Edited by FortKnox

I don't own a PT-111 9mmP but have extended family members who do and I've run several hundred rounds through a coupe of them. Ergonomics and reliability were good, trigger pulls kind of mediocre but tolerable, fit and finish are acceptable. All in all it's a good buy for the money and I'd recommend one to anyone interested. But if you want to go a step up and spend another hundred or so dollars for a new pistol then I'd suggest the S&W SD 9mmP. 

I've owned several Taurus handguns sir. I've had exceptional "luck" as some would say, with mine. The gen 1 PT series guns were quite good. Not target guns, but had good accuracy for a short barreled pistol. The Gen 2 version I have is better, at least for me, than the Gen 1.

You will find many detractors of the Taurus line, some with valid points, some not. The worst I can say about them is that in the last years of the PT series, especially the 111 and 145, there were some safety issues. Some...not an across the board issue.

When the "voluntary recall" on the PT guns was issued about a year, year and a half ago, I sent one of mine in to be checked over. I'd had no issues with it at all. But better safe...than sorry I thought.

Anyway, instead of being repaired, it was replaced. Supposedly because the safety would release and the trigger would fire without a booger grabber on it. This was at the very beginning, before we found that almost all The PT pistols were being kept and replacements issued for them.

Being one of the first ones, and the fact that my dealer hounded them because of the lack of information on it; I was sent a replacement for the PT111. At the time, the Gen 2 wasn't available yet. I received a Gen 2 24/7 model instead. This didn't hurt my feelings at all. I already had one of the 4.5/5(?) inch models and it is great. Not a top level competition gun, but more than adequate for 99.9% of my shooting.

But being sort of anal, and having 6 mags for the PT111 I'd lost, I found one on GB and replaced it.

Now the painful part. I admit this replacement PT that came out of California, deserves some bad commentary. Mediocre trigger and shoots 2-3 inches low and left no matter what you do, or who shoots it. Yes, it could be just me, but a very good gunsmith I know looked it over and had the same results. So this one sits in a dark place and is good for short range, close encounters. The kind I hope never happen.

So yes, there are some less than perfect Taurus pistols out there, but not all of them.

Now about the Gen1 PT145...I will not let it go. It is a great little house gun, and not at all bad on the range. 

To get back on track with your original question, I was tempted by RK's sale as well, but had to pass it buy. I just didn't "need" another small 9...yet. lol

I'd just ordered on of the HK VP9s and am anxiously awaiting my free mags for it. I know I've said to guys here that I'd not buy another HK, for many reasons, but the price from PSA and the free mag offer just made it so tempting that I couldn't resist. lol With additional HK mags averaging around 40 bucks each, it just grabbed me and wouldn't let go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2017 at 4:03 PM, FortKnox said:

Well, Clarksville Gun & Archery text club sent one this morning saying they had the pt111 G2 9mm for $199.99. So, I went ahead and got two for that price. :)

Shot them yet?

I have several friends that love theirs.

On 10/21/2017 at 5:12 PM, ozo said:

Shot them yet?

I have several friends that love theirs.

Nope. Funny story, my friend had wanted one but, missed the sale so I sold one to him. Then my other friend had been looking for a gun and liked mine so I sold the other one to him.

So, I made my money back minus taxes.

Then yesterday I get an email from Rural King for a stainless G2 for $209 and ordered one.

https://www.rkguns.com/taurus-pt-111-millennium-pro-g2-stainless-gray-9mm-12rd-3-2-pistol-1-111039g2-12g.html

• Like 1