Las Vegas Shooting

FUJIMO

Prayers for the victims of this carnage.
This is similar to the false-flag attack in Matt Bracken's "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" albeit with multiple weapons, apparently full-auto. We probably will never know the shooter's motive, let alone ID the facilitators of this horrific attack.
Either way, the anti's will use this to full advantage. Expect a renewed assault on your rights. Never lay down your arms, or let down your guard.
It's strange now but I had just heard an interview he was doing with Alex Jones on Sunday right before this happened.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Bob T said:

Damn if some of the shooting rate sounded like an M60. Fired plenty rounds though M60 in the service, and it was the first thing I thought when I heard the audio.

I was thinkiing the exact same thing! Marine corps days were a long time ago but I told my wife as soon as I heard it that it sounded like a M60.

No matter the weapon the shooter got it backwards again. It should be, shoot yourself first, and if capable afterwards to shoot more, shoot yourself again. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

• Like 1

This is a horrible situation for these people to be in. No amount of ducking would help. I appreciate that people videoed to help out the police, but my first thought would not be to start a Facebook Live stream.....

Nothing I say is going to help the family and friends of those killed, so I am not going to try. 

I actually am surprised that the police were even able to isolate him as quick as they did. Maybe someone in the hotel reported the room to them. From outside it would be hard to locate. 

• Like 3
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, Ronald_55 said:

This is a horrible situation for these people to be in. No amount of ducking would help. I appreciate that people videoed to help out the police, but my first thought would not be to start a Facebook Live stream.....

Nothing I say is going to help the family and friends of those killed, so I am not going to try. 

I actually am surprised that the police were even able to isolate him as quick as they did. Maybe someone in the hotel reported the room to them. From outside it would be hard to locate. 

I read somewhere that responders were able to locate the room because fire alarms were going off in the room from the smoke generated while shooting.

Very sad 

I've heard lots of people asking how the police located the room, but for anyone who has stayed in a hotel, even a nice one, if someone on your floor is firing a high-powered rifle, you'll know.  I'd speculate a neighboring room called it in.  

Just now, CZ9MM said:

I read somewhere that responders were able to locate the room because fire alarms were going off in the room from the smoke generated while shooting.

That very well could be the case. Though as thought out as this seemed to be, I am surprised he did not pull the alarm at the floor level to disguise himself. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Said it was the smoke alarm in the room that gave his position away.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

That very well could be the case. Though as thought out as this seemed to be, I am surprised he did not pull the alarm at the floor level to disguise himself. 

I truthfully know nothing about such systems, but I imagine that in a fancy hotel, Vegas nevertheless, all alarms would be connected centrally as to allow a quick and immediate response to the exact source of an actual fire.

In other words, the fire alarm going off in his room gave responders on the ground floor his room number. I suppose we are lucky in the fact that he didn't have an accomplice, as a second shooter barricaded on the same floor as him but positioned strategically to defend against an entry team could have delayed the response by quite a long time.

Honestly, I'm surprised that a SWAT sniper didn't drop him as soon as possible. I imagine that surely the situation and rules of engagement would allow such a thing, even with potential innocents in rooms next door.

Edited by CZ9MM
1 minute ago, CZ9MM said:

I suppose we are lucky in the fact that he didn't have an accomplice, as a second shooter barricade on the same floor as him but positioned strategically to defend against an entry team could have delayed the response by quite a long time.

Supremely lucky. With the way most hotel halls are, the second shooter could have laid down a field of fire that kept all but an APC pinned down. A gas mask to avoid tear gas and the police would have been out of options. No grenades would get tossed like in the movies. The shooter does not have to worry about collateral damage, but the police do. Heck, he could have even set out some charges to trigger manually when the police arrived. There are lots of things I can think of that we are lucky he did not do to slow down the police. 

CNN has video of the aftermath where it shows everyone pitching in to carry out the wounded. They improvised and used  metal fencing for stretchers and what appeared to be a wheelbarrow. They then had civilian vehicles take people to the hospital.

Despite the evil that caused this I couldn't help but be proud of the spontaneous heros that emerged from the crowd. As Mr Rogers said, when tragedy strikes, "Look for the helpers".

Even during our lowest moments, I have faith in good people stepping up and helping their fellow man.

• Like 4
  • Moderators
9 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

Mike, is that how far away he was? Is 5.56 that deadly at that distance?

Anything is when you have tightly packed targets and a metric ####ton of ammunition. 

I'm going to call this as having no real political or ideological basis. I think it's going to turn out to be a late-middle-aged white dude who went off the deep end after his mail order wife left him. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
5 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

Mike, is that how far away he was? Is 5.56 that deadly at that distance?

http://gundata.org/blog/post/223-ballistics-chart/

55 grain would have about 4' drop, travel at about half the velocity compared to its highest velocity, and about 1/5th the original energy. 50+ confirmed dead but 400+ confirmed casualties. Unless the crowd was literally so thick he couldn't miss, he had to unload potentially a few thousand. Right?