Las Vegas Shooting

FUJIMO

Ok since I am not and never was familiar with Bump Stock items because for 1, I don't own an AR rifle of any type or caliber. What I do understand from what I have heard in the police briefings is that he had as many rifles with Bumpstocks and he did because that stock would cause a problem with guns getting to hot and malfuctioning or jaming and as they did he would discard it and get another one and start shooting again. I think I heard that they found at least 12 rifles that had malfuctioned and had jammed. Can anyone here explain if that does sound reasonable that has maybe used one of these and did experience this type of issue?....................:confused: 

12 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Ok since I am not and never was familiar with Bump Stock items because for 1, I don't own an AR rifle of any type or caliber. What I do understand from what I have heard in the police briefings is that he had as many rifles with Bumpstocks and he did because that stock would cause a problem with guns getting to hot and malfuctioning or jaming and as they did he would discard it and get another one and start shooting again. I think I heard that they found at least 12 rifles that had malfuctioned and had jammed. Can anyone here explain if that does sound reasonable that has maybe used one of these and did experience this type of issue?....................:confused: 

I know nothing about bump fire stocks but the jamming might explain the long pauses between firing. I've been wondering about that. I assumed something was happening other than him changing mags.

Edited by Erik88

Well unlike an actual full auto where the hammer is held and released as the action cycles a bump stock attempts to let the recoil drive back the entire gun simulating the rate of fire of full auto. With a full auto as engineered all the parts are internal and calculated to function in this manner when full auto is selected on the selector. On a semi auto gun with a sliding stock the entire gun must move. Everything attached to the upper and lower save the stock itself becomes cyclic. Compound that with the ammo's recoil needing to be quite consistent for high rates of fire and you get several potential failure points. 

Having owned an M16 in my youth and a slidfire equipped AR for a brief while I can tell you the reliability and accuracy of the two weapons systems is night and day. Not that any of that matters when you're firing from an elevated position into an unarmed crowd of 20k.

Edited by 2.ooohhh
  • Like 1
On 10/3/2017 at 10:51 PM, Oh Shoot said:

SlideFire stocks sold out everywhere, website crawling due to traffic.

- OS

Looks like GOP may take the lead on this one. And also sounds like no grandfathering on possession.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/05/politics/paul-ryan-bump-stocks-gun-control/index.html

Also sound like NRA may not object:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10/05/nra-calls-for-atf-review-bump-stocks-new-regulations-after-las-vegas-shooting.html

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

After the Vegas shooter found the ONLY practical use for them. I viewed them as a toy until now. That guy turned it into a useful tool. By all means, get behind that tool.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, 2.ooohhh said:

Well unlike an actual full auto where the hammer is held and released as the action cycles a bump stock attempts to let the recoil drive back the entire gun simulating the rate of fire of full auto. With a full auto as engineered all the parts are internal and calculated to function in this manner when full auto is selected on the selector. On a semi auto gun with a sliding stock the entire gun must move. Everything attached to the upper and lower save the stock itself becomes cyclic. Compound that with the ammo's recoil needing to be quite consistent for high rates of fire and you get several potential failure points. 

Having owned an M16 in my youth and a slidfire equipped AR for a brief while I can tell you the reliability and accuracy of the two weapons systems is night and day. Not that any of that matters when you're firing from an elevated position into an unarmed crowd of 20k.

Right. It is an effective mass killing tool, where accuracy doesn't matter. Or a pretty ####ty toy that I would never buy, even at a discount.

39 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Looks like GOP may take the lead on this one. And also sounds like no grandfathering on possession.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/05/politics/paul-ryan-bump-stocks-gun-control/index.html

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10/05/nra-calls-for-atf-review-bump-stocks-new-regulations-after-las-vegas-shooting.html

- OS

I see a full ban of stocks, triggers, and other "gadgets" that work to mimic full auto.

1 minute ago, MikeW said:

I see a full ban of stocks, triggers, and other "gadgets" that work to mimic full auto.

Or the ATF classifies a bump fire stock as a machine gun with a letter, and diffuses the whole damn gun control push.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 4
1 minute ago, MikeW said:

Looking at what's currently in place, it seems that they will possibly have to rewrite the definition of automatic fire. Which is where I have a problem with legislators messing with this topic. A few mis-strokes of the pen and a simple crisp yet short reset competition trigger such as my geissele S3G is gone as well b/c it can be used to fire "more rapidly".

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Or the ATF classifies a bump fire stock as a machine gun with a letter, and diffuses the whole damn gun control push.

^ this is the best path forward I see from where we currently are. Conveniently or Unfortunately depending on the topic at hand that day the ATF changes it's mind all the time.

3 minutes ago, 2.ooohhh said:

Looking at what's currently in place, it seems that they will possibly have to rewrite the definition of automatic fire. Which is where I have a problem with legislators messing with this topic. A few mis-strokes of the pen and a simple crisp yet short reset competition trigger such as my geissele S3G is gone as well b/c it can be used to fire "more rapidly".

RIGHT. Leave the legislators out of it. The NRA is not screwing us here. They are screwing that greasy ass Schumer and his merry band of idiots.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1

Hickok45's Facebook post. Copied here without permission...

Well, I suppose I'll pick up a few extra "haters" about this, as well as people who think I'm supporting the NRA ONLY because they support us.
Even though John has not totally agreed with me this week, I've been making the comment all week how crazy it is that something most serious shooters couldn't care less about is such a point of focus, being used to demonize all gun owners. I'm assuming the NRA gave this issue very serious consideration, and like me, decided that these bump stocks, which did not even exist ten years ago, are not something worth "falling on our swords" over. There are WAY more important battles down the road.
Many of you will not agree with me, but all of us need to make sure we continue contacting our representatives and gun rights organizations. Make your voice heard and let them know where you stand on all these issues. They all work for us.
weekhttps://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/las-vegas-shooting/nra-backs-additional-regulations-rapid-fire-gun-bump-stocks-n808121

Edited by mikegideon
2 hours ago, bersaguy said:

1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

I know nothing about bump fire stocks but the jamming might explain the long pauses between firing. I've been wondering about that. I assumed something was happening other than him changing mags.

Since Dude had high end guns as reported, I'll bet he burnt up his gas tubes during his 100rd SF Mag dumps

1 hour ago, Oh Shoot said:

- OS

I hate Paul Ryan. They need to let the ATF handle this. 

I don't agree with ANY push to regulate something because of a deranged madman used it to kill people.  I don't like auto anything, and don't do mag dumps, I am more effective using controlled fire.  But if we keep allowing them to change the rules every time they get the notion, we are already sliding down that slippery slope.  I for one think the NFA  should never of existed in the first place and should be working to eliminate it, not add to it in any way shape or form.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

- OS

Some idiot left winger from New York wants to actually do away with the Second Amendment completely instead of just Bump Stocks. Give them .05 Brain Cell functioning left wing politicians and inch and they demand a 1000 miles.......................:mad:

2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to ban the gathering of large crowds?

Cars for drunks, and knifes, and baseball bats, and sticks and stones after all, O wait hands and feet while we are at it. O for the love of God where will it stop?:wall: