Washington D.C

So I will probably get flak but oh well, i am currently in Washington dc for the first time ever on vacation with family and there is so many people here from India and the middle East that it does not feel like an American city or our nation's capital feels more like the middle East or something! Has anyone been here and felt the same way or is it just me?

Edited by luke9511
  • Admin Team

Let me assure you that Khobar and RIyadh or Bangalore feel far different.  

Enjoy your time there. The architecture is amazing.  And, there are very few collections of national treasures that can match the Smithsonian.  

Br aware of your surroundings, but enjoy yourself.  Life is way too short to do otherwise.  

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, luke9511 said:

So I will probably get flak but oh well, i am currently in Washington dc for the first time ever on vacation with family and there is so many people here from India and the middle East that it does not feel like an American city or our nation's capital feels more like the middle East or something! Has anyone been here and felt the same way or is it just me?

I imagine you haven't traveled much ? That's not a dig or personal attack.

As MAC said, enjoy yourself but always be aware of your surroundings. I do that regardless if I'm walking Michigan Ave in Chicago or on Market Square in Knoxville.

27 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

If you do nothing else, go to Arlington National Cememtary.  No more humbling place in America.

This. With family buried there it is always a stop when we get in the area. Very humbling and yet always seems to give me hope and strength. 

If the Smithsonian and Air & Space museums were in a happier place, I'd go all the time. 

Ive been to DC but it's been decades.  My kids aren't quite old enough to appreciate it yet, but I do intend to take them. I'd like to see the WWII monument as well. 

28 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

What is the national language of The United States of America?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I misspoke. I should have said primary language. That would be English.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Moderators
  • Moderators
12 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I misspoke. I should have said primary language. That would be English.

Haha, no biggie. Just yanking your chain as well the OP's. I just don't subscribe to the entire "You must speak English and look like me as well" flavor of thought that is held by many. Ultimately, in my opinion, that train of thought is a disservice to us all really. I love how in many countries/cultures, kids by the age of 10 can speak 2+ languages in many instances. I just think that is a good thing.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, luke9511 said:

Also, do yourself a huge favor and find a Pakistani or Indian restaurant if you never have. I'm wagering that you won't regret it. I'm lucky that the nearest Indian restaurant is in Chattanooga (I'm in Cleveland) and about 20 minutes away. If it were much closer, that would be bad.

Edited by CZ9MM
6 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

Haha, no biggie. Just yanking your chain as well the OP's. I just don't subscribe to the entire "You must speak English and look like me as well" flavor of thought that is held by many. Ultimately, in my opinion, that train of thought is a disservice to us all really. I love how in many countries/cultures, kids by the age of 10 can speak 2+ languages in many instances. I just think that is a good thing.

It seemed to me that assimilation of immigrants was a good thing. I'm cool with immigrants becoming American. I'm not cool with immigrants coming here and trying to turn America into their host third world country. Your mileage may vary. I am glad you called me on my prior incorrect statement. I need to think more and post less.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

It seemed to me that assimilation of immigrants was a good thing. I'm cool with immigrants becoming American. I'm not cool with immigrants coming here and trying to turn America into their host third world country. Your mileage may vary. I am glad you called me on my prior incorrect statement. I need to think more and post less.

We should all think more and post less. However, I guess my main thought regarding your statement is what exactly does "pure" America look like? If you live over near where I do but then drive 30 minutes south to Dalton, GA, it's sorta like you are in little Mexico. I went to Puerto Rico and some places there seem more "English American" than Dalton does. Many places in San Juan seem exactly as if one were sitting on the beach in Daytona.

Lots of places up north are Irish or Jewish. What about Chinatown? My point is that there are tiny little subcultures everywhere. I don't think that is a bad thing. I go and enjoy the ones I want to and stay away from the ones I don't.

Now, if you are referencing attempting to subvert the legal system in any way, I can agree with being against that.

Edited by CZ9MM
  • Like 1

I have mentioned to my family that I want to go to DC and visit the Vietnam Wall and other Walls of other wars and Arlington for sure and they said we will make plans to go soon. As far as the different nationalities living there. I grew up in Chicago and all my life I attended school with every nationality in Chicago. We all got along and all play games recess. We all would hang around with each other. I had 2 favorite places to hang out in Chicago. One was Little Italy and the other was China Town. The food was always wonderful and when we would go the home with a friend we always got fed. One of my friends parents owned a resturant in China Town and we always got setted just like customers and huge platters of food was placed on the table and there would always be 6 or 8 of us that got all the food we could eat and many times food to take home and never cost a dime. The name of the resturant was Won Kows. I have no clue if it is still that way any more but I doubt it is. Oh yea all of the kids I went to school with spoke good english while at school and spoke their native language when at home when speaking with family. 

Edited by bersaguy
On 10/3/2017 at 8:49 AM, luke9511 said:

I was there for a weekend about fourteen (14) months ago, and I was a little surprised by how many of orientals I saw.  I'm used to seeing a lot of people from the Indian subcontinent, so maybe I'm somewhat desensitized (for lack of a better word) to them.

While the Vietnam War memorial was more touching to me for personal reasons, the Korean War memorial was neat.  I've been told it's even better at night.  The two (2) things I hate I didn't have time to see were Arlington Cemetery and the Supreme Court.