Perfecting my carry gun

Getting closer to the perfect carry package.

Folded it is 19", open it is 29" with the muzzle being just over 26" so it is VFG safe. Sight radius is now 13" and the AR sight works very well with AK front sight. 4 piece comp works the best with this short barrel., very little concussion. Reworked, crisp 2.5 pound trigger.

IMG_20171003_173832_hdr.thumb.jpg.714ac576dde1fb8bf5b5100e6428733b.jpgIMG_20171003_173736_hdr_kindlephoto-119710839.thumb.jpg.b40bce8bcceb0735712246575e263fc9.jpg

• Like 9
  • Wow 1
  • Moderators
Yes it is, I tried several versions but prefer this one they best. I had a VFG on it and I didn't like it. Put a AFG and it wasn't much better. Even tried a hand stop but in the end minimalistic prevailed.

I’m assuming that this is a pistol, especially since it has the brace and you mentioned being your “carry”.

As such, wouldn’t a VFG be a “no go”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

I’m assuming that this is a pistol, especially since it has the brace and you mentioned being your “carry”.

As such, wouldn’t a VFG be a “no go”?

No, if its OAL is 26"+ it is considered a "firearm" and as such I can attach a VFG. Under 26" and a VFG is verboten.

• Moderators
No, if its OAL is 26"+ it is considered a "firearm" and as such I can attach a VFG. Under 26" and a VFG is verboten.

Gotcha. The. If it isn’t a handgun, in TN it technically isn’t a carry, is it? Or does the law simply prohibit rifles and shotguns and not firearms as such?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:17 AM, CZ9MM said:

Gotcha. The. If it isn’t a handgun, in TN it technically isn’t a carry, is it? Or does the law simply prohibit rifles and shotguns and not firearms as such?

AIUI, there's no maximum length of what a handgun can be, either in federal or TN laws. With no VFG, it remains a handgun so Dolo could carry it with his HCP. Because it's OAL is >26", he can add a VFG if he wants without needing a $200 tax stamp and NFA paperwork. When a VFG is attached, it becomes a "firearm" by ATF terminology. I assume TN would use the ATF definitions and not consider it a handgun if it has a VFG, making it a no-go for carry. As long as there's no VFG, I think he's good to go, but I'm usually wrong and Oh Shoot will correct me shortly.  :)

I think that some states do have a length restriction on carry handguns. I've heard that South Carolina limits carry to <12" OAL and Oklahoma is <16" OAL, but I've not done research to know for sure.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Frenchs24 said:

I hate to feel like i need to ask this but this "carry" is a joke right? I mean unless youre in the woods/on a farm/walking around on the moon

Just because it's not what you'd choose to carry for you and yours doesn't mean it's not right for someone else. Different people have different situations, either because of locations, physical impairments, personal relationships, employment, or something else. If someone could legally carry a Howitzer in their pants, who am I to say whether that's a good plan for them or not?

I know that if I ever have to use a firearm for self defense, I'd rather have Dolo's mini Draco with a 30 rd. mag than a 6+1 .380 LCP every single time. Personally, it's not reasonable for me to carry something like the mini Draco, so I stick with "normal" carry guns, as most of us do. But I like to think that we'd all rather have something far more substantial than our normal daily carry if the time ever comes where we need it. Apparently for Dolo, the mini Draco isn't unreasonably inconvenient to carry and I doubt he'd ever be left wishing he had more gun if he ever needs it. Maybe a 75 rd. drum, but not more gun. :)

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1

Seriously are you trying to justify carrying around an ak at the mall hidden in your coat... really good way to end up dead... can you yes... should you no... i leave an AR IN MY TRUCK for real problems.... actually for the exact reason of some mouth breather carrying around an AK

You say you keep an AR in your truck for real problems. That tells me that you think a basic handgun is insufficient and would prefer to have an AR. Most folks on this forum would agree. If you could legally, conveniently, and discreetly carry your AR instead of the basic handgun you're acknowledging is insufficient for "real problems", wouldn't you?

BTW, why the personal insults? I don't know if you're directing "mouth breather" at me or Dolo, but seeing as how you don't know either of us and Dolo's an American Hero with a capital H in my book, that seems more than a bit unnecessary.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 7

I carry a 380 about every where I go but it has 15 rounds in it and I also have a back up mag for it. If Dolo wants to pack an AK then I have no problem with him doing just that what so ever!!  Knowing somewhat of his background if I were in a place and all hell broke loose with bad guys he is definately one of the good guys I would hope was there to back me up!!!!!

• Like 3

There are lots of ways to "carry" something like this. I can think of several courier bags, or sling bags that would be perfect. Would it be my choice for a primary carry weapon? That would depend on the situation and how much time I had to deploy it.

Probably not a good candidate for IWB or pocket carry, just have to think outside of the box...

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Sidecarist said:

There are lots of ways to "carry" something like this. I can think of several courier bags, or sling bags that would be perfect. Would it be my choice for a primary carry weapon? That would depend on the situation and how much time I had to deploy it.

Probably not a good candidate for IWB or pocket carry, just have to think outside of the box...

You can bet if Dolo does really plan on carrying this gun he will have an elite and very acessable way of deploying it................JMHO

• Like 1
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, Frenchs24 said:

Seriously are you trying to justify carrying around an ak at the mall hidden in your coat... really good way to end up dead... can you yes... should you no... i leave an AR IN MY TRUCK for real problems.... actually for the exact reason of some mouth breather carrying around an AK

I would bet that Dolomite likely would draw less attention with this pistol AK if he wanted to than many of the people strapping a Glock .380 to their hip in OWB carry. For some people, "carry" means throwing a folding brace AK pistol in a tennis racket bag and then carrying that over your shoulder. Whether your location, job, etc places you in less than comfortable locations, perhaps "carry" means walking from the parking lot to your work business or from the parking lot to your apartment. Some people may have different life circumstances in which they are in more danger than others, pass through dangerous areas, etc. I don't see how we can jump on one another in telling those people they are wrong to do as they wish when it is legal.

I doubt anyone is trying to stuff one of these in their coat, but seeing how Dolomite spent a lot of time on the battlefield, if anyone could do it, it'd be him;)

I too do not understand such an alarmist response and the seemingly personal attack.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Frenchs24 said:

And the second you step out of your truck with that AR you have broken way more laws than me OCing my Draco. 

Hope that mouthbreather comment wasn’t directed at me. 

• Like 6