PSA AK Scope side mount issues

I purchased a Leapers UTG Pro quick detach scope mount for my PSA AK and just got it in today and found out that it is so loose that it does not even tighten to the mount. It wobbles when you slide it on the rail and will fall right off....... is this just operator error or is there something wrong with the mounting bracket PSA installed??? 

Edited by XxthejuicexX

I've got that UTG mount (the one before the "pro" model), but I've only had it on two different WASRs, works fine.

First thing though, assuming you've got it slid on correctly, you do know the mount is adjustable for tension, right?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Just now, Oh Shoot said:

I've got that UTG mount (the one before the "pro" model), but I've only had it on two different WASRs, works fine.

First thing though, assuming you've got it slid on correctly, you do know the mount is adjustable for tension, right?

- OS

Yeah, I slid it on and tightened down as far as it would go and it still just slides right back off the rail. 

Just now, XxthejuicexX said:

Yeah, I slid it on and tightened down as far as it would go and it still just slides right back off the rail. 

Well, something's obviously wrong somehow, couldn't say without hands on to compare to mine, though.

- OS

16 minutes ago, shotgunshooter said:

My bet is the PSA side rail is not in spec

Anything's possible. This guy had no prob with it on a PSA AK though. Seems that style of AK side rail is about as much an industry standard as to spec as anything in the whole AK world, guess could always be a bad run or something though.

Edited by Oh Shoot

The guy as PSA said he recommend a gas tube mount.... not what I am looking for, my other AK is mounted that way with a red dot. I'm trying to put a Vortex strike eagle on the PSA and need it mounted over the cover. The fit and finish of the gun is really nice, not if I can just figure this out. It's probably something I am doing wrong.

• Like 1
Just now, Whisper said:

If you don't want to use a gas tube mount, try this top cover:

https://www.texasweaponsystems.com/

My MAK-90 wears one and it has done well so far (I admit I don't use it as much as I do ARs).

Hope this helps,
Whisper

I really don't want to dump 170 bucks on the Gen 3 but if it comes to that I will. If I can't find something that works I may sell my Strike eagle and get an EOTech and mount it on a gas tube. 

I really don't want to dump 170 bucks on the Gen 3 but if it comes to that I will. If I can't find something that works I may sell my Strike eagle and get an EOTech and mount it on a gas tube. 

Wouldn't recommend on eotech on a gas tube. It'll smoke the battery connections if they are still on the bottom. I would go with a gas tube, an aimpoint or holosun, and call it a day.

In reference to the pictures posted, I believe that's a ride issue. Side rail is going to be the issue if you've tried two different mounts. It doesn't look that bad to me but it might be the angle. I'd try mounting and zeroing then go from there.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, shotgunshooter said:

Wouldn't recommend on eotech on a gas tube. It'll smoke the battery connections if they are still on the bottom. I would go with a gas tube, an aimpoint or holosun, and call it a day.

In reference to the pictures posted, I believe that's a ride issue. Side rail is going to be the issue if you've tried two different mounts.

The first mount would not tighten down on this gun or fit a Century AK. This one tightened down but was off. I looked today and found that I am not the only person with this issue. I get such a smoking deal on EOTech I really hate not to get one so I may break down and order more side mounts or a TWS Gun 3 dust cover. 

The gun or mount.... 

The mount is a Midwest industries, the gun is a PSA gen 2 which by the reports I've read and watched are solid. 

The PSA AKs are supposed to be pretty good since they bought out DDI. I'm hoping they can keep turning out the good products that DDI was but I don't know what changes have occurred since ownership changed. Nothing wrong with Midwest Industries either. Which century gun did you mount it on?

• Like 1