Anyone have COLD STEEL kitchen knives?

FROM CONSUMER REPORTS:
"CRs Take
For some, the name Ginsu is synonymous with hammy 1970s-era infomercials, but this a serious cutlery company. Its 8-piece set offers incredible value, providing the cutting performance and handle comfort of knives costing three and four times as much. The set includes a chef’s and santoku knife, but not a slicer.  
Overall score 85    
Ginsu Chikara
Best Buy
Price: $96.99"

https://www.amazon.com/Ginsu-Gourmet-Chikara-8-Piece-Japanese/dp/B0016J4230?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAIIWFEA2XIPSLBTOA&tag=consurepor04c-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0016J4230

No experience with cold steel but I did make the leap to German cutlery. They aren't cheap but will last you a lifetime. 

I have both J.A. Heckles and Wusthof. Bought pieces individually and as needed. 

Best thing I ever did for the kitchen!

Edited by Ugly
  • Like 1

I'm not a knife connoisseur, nor a chef. We've had various Cold Steel kitchen knives for about 30 years.  Bought the set in your link about 15 years ago. Our most recent purchase of them was about 3 years ago.  They're relatively inexpensive and my wife loves them.

We also have German and Cutco kitchen knives.  My wife bought 3 Cutco knives and spent over $400.  Maybe if you made your living using kitchen knives it would be worth the price, but its not to me.

The biggest down side for the Cold Steel knives is that most of them are serrated, so difficult to sharpen at home.  It's been a while since I sent any in, but Cold Steel used to sharpen them for $7 including return shipping.  I think I've sent knives back for sharpening twice in the last 30 years.

1 hour ago, mikegideon said:

Not familiar with cold steel kitchen knives. I have these and am real happy with them. I have added a couple to the set...

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/j-a-henckels-international-classic-16-piece-knife-block-set/1040229102

I have this same set and have been happy with it. A few of the knives have developed spots on them that won't go away. It's not rust though. 

I've heard though that once you try a really high end kitchen knife you won't want to use anything else. I wouldn't even know what those might be.

10 hours ago, mikegideon said:

Not familiar with cold steel kitchen knives. I have these and am real happy with them. I have added a couple to the set...

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/j-a-henckels-international-classic-16-piece-knife-block-set/1040229102

Good to know. The wife got involved (Coupons, codes, points, you know the drill) and I ended up ordering these:

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1177015/ja-henckels-international-forged-premio-17-pc-cutlery-set.jsp?prdPV=1

I've had the Cold Steel Kitchen Classic set for 5 or 6 years. The 4116 Krupp stainless steel ain't all that high end, but claims to be "cryo quenched". Whatever, it's wicked sharp, holds up okay, fairly easy to touch back up. Great "kraton" or "kray-ex", whatever, grips. I've never trusted them in dishwasher though, as some say the grips will deteriorate over time if so, dunno.

At any rate, pretty nice set, quite adequate for most anything ya wanna do in the kitchen, although I still use a cheapo big ass serrated blade to separate a side of raw ribs and the like.

Bottom line, well worth the 125 clams or so.

- OS

• 2 months later...