NFL Revises National Anthem Policy

xsubsailor

Me thinks someone saw the light :whistle:

The NFL is quietly changing its policy to require players to stand for the national anthem following nationwide backlash.The league reportedly added the new rules to its game manual, which will punish players who refuse to stand.

The penalties include fines, suspensions, and forfeiting of draft choices.

It’s unclear when the rules were updated.

This comes after President Trump called for the removal of tax breaks for the NFL if players continue their disrespectful protests.

http://www.oann.com/nfl-revises-national-anthem-policy/

• Like 3

A nice attempt to placate those lost fans and the American people at large. But like RED333, I have given my last dollar to the NFL thru tickets and memorabilia.

Whether I will watch any games isn't much for me to mention. I only watched the Titans games anyway, and that has left me a bit dissatisfied with their actions.

The whole affair has simply made public more aware of just how ridiculous the NFL has become. NOT to mention how greedy over the last decade or so.

Escalating ticket prices, psl prices just plain robbery, and the tax breaks given to owners; all the while asking cities to build stadiums with public money so the owners can just sit back and rake in more and more.

I'm just disgusted with the whole bunch.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 4

That is too bad for ya'll...

Last night's Bears/Vikings game was outstanding. The Bears started their new rookie quarterback, it it appears they have someone with some serious potential. And during the game, I saw the greatest two point conversion I've ever seen. Good stuff.

As veteran, I support peaceful protest of something that really is an issue. And I have a hard time understanding why everyone has their panties in bunch over this. (Although I am sure someone will tell me...again:blah:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
7 minutes ago, Bob T said:

Last night's Bears/Vikings game was outstanding. The Bears started their new rookie quarterback, it it appears they have someone with some serious potential. And during the game, I saw the greatest two point conversion I've ever seen. Good stuff.

As veteran, I support peaceful protest of something that really is an issue. And I have a hard time understanding why everyone has their panties in bunch over this. (Although I am sure someone will tell me...again:blah:

Not me, if you don't get it by now you never will

• Like 4
4 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

Me thinks someone saw the light :whistle:

The NFL is quietly changing its policy to require players to stand for the national anthem following nationwide backlash.The league reportedly added the new rules to its game manual, which will punish players who refuse to stand.

The penalties include fines, suspensions, and forfeiting of draft choices.

It’s unclear when the rules were updated.

This comes after President Trump called for the removal of tax breaks for the NFL if players continue their disrespectful protests.

http://www.oann.com/nfl-revises-national-anthem-policy/

If I'm not mistaken, this has been policy since it started but never enforced.  As to enforcement, we will see, as for me, I'm out this year.  I may return next year depending on how it goes from now on.  I enjoyed watching, not going to lie, but enough is enough and it's nothing I can't do without.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
25 minutes ago, Bob T said:

I watch sports for entertainment and to escape the craziness of life. Once they wanted to make statements I was out. That's more of the same crap everyday. I support anyone's right to protest. I have the right to choose what I will put up with for entertainment. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Omega said:

If I'm not mistaken, this has been policy since it started but never enforced. 

If I’m not mistaken players where never on the field for the anthem up until 8 or 9 years ago.

Regardless,  the NFL lost me years ago when I discovered colllege football.

• Like 1

I wouldn't go so far as to say anything is being revised just yet.   This from a letter the Commissioner sent to all 32 teams.

"Like many of our fans," Goodell wrote, "we believe that everyone should stand for the national anthem. It is an important moment in our game. We want to honor our flag and our country, and our fans expect that of us.

Key word there, should.  This is in line with NFL policy, and I can't see the players union allowing the league office to enforce anything that isn't specifically detailed in the collective bargaining agreement without taking them to court.

The NFL office and team owners are hoping this goes away, but I doubt the players protesting are of the same mind.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Garufa said:

If I’m not mistaken players where never on the field for the anthem up until 8 or 9 years ago.

Regardless,  the NFL lost me years ago when I discovered colllege football.

I meant since the protest started; the NFL is just a money hungry organization fines some and lets others slide.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/21470/nfls-free-speech-kneeling-anthem-fine-fighting-hank-berrien

6 hours ago, VERO1 said:

I'll watch College games, crap on the overpaid primadonnas!,

My wife would rather watch the college games as well. Like me, Titans were all the pro teams she followed.

6 hours ago, Hershmeister said:

And now they want to "move on". Suck it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They can move on to McDonalds when all that big paycheck runs out.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Bob T said:

As veteran, I support peaceful protest of something that really is an issue. And I have a hard time understanding why everyone has their panties in bunch over this. (Although I am sure someone will tell me...again:blah:)

Copied from another, but it is "How I feel", I too am a Vet.

Subject: How I feel ...

You graduated high school in 2011. Your teenage years were a struggle. You grew up on the wrong side of the tracks. Your mother was the leader of the family and worked tirelessly to keep a roof over your head and food on your plate. Academics were a struggle for you and your grades were mediocre at best. The only thing that made you stand out is you weighed 225 lbs and could run 40 yards in 4.2 seconds while carrying a football. Your best friend was just like you, except he didn’t play football. Instead of going to football practice after school, he went to work at McDonalds for minimum wage. You were recruited by all the big colleges and spent every weekend of your senior year making visits to universities where coaches and boosters tried to convince you their school was best. They laid out the red carpet for you. Your best friend worked double shifts at Mickey D’s. College was not an option for him. On the day you signed with Big State University, your best friend signed paperwork with his Army recruiter. You went to summer workouts. He went to basic training.

You spent the next four years living in the athletic dorm, eating at the training table. You spent your Saturdays on the football field, cheered on by adoring fans. Tutors attended to your every academic need. You attended class when you felt like it. Sure, you worked hard. You lifted weights, ran sprints, studied plays, and soon became one of the top football players in the country. Your best friend was assigned to the 101st Airborne Division. While you were in college, he deployed to Iraq once and Afghanistan twice. He became a Sergeant and led a squad of 19 year old soldiers who grew up just like he did. He shed his blood in Afghanistan and watched young American's give their lives, limbs, and innocence for the USA.

You went to the NFL combine and scored off the charts. You hired an agent and waited for draft day. You were drafted in the first round and your agent immediately went to work, ensuring that you received the most money possible. You signed for $16 million although you had never played a single down of professional football. Your best friend re-enlisted in the Army for four more years. As a combat tested sergeant, he will be paid $32,000 per year.

You will drive a Ferrari on the streets of South Beach. He will ride in the back of a Blackhawk helicopter with 10 other combat loaded soldiers. You will sleep at the Ritz. He will dig a hole in the ground and try to sleep. You will “make it rain” in the club. He will pray for rain as the temperature reaches 120 degrees.

On Sunday, you will run into a stadium as tens of thousands of fans cheer and yell your name. For your best friend, there is little difference between Sunday and any other day of the week. There are no adoring fans. There are only people trying to kill him and his soldiers. Every now and then, he and his soldiers leave the front lines and “go to the rear” to rest. He might be lucky enough to catch an NFL game on TV. When the National Anthem plays and you take a knee, he will jump to his feet and salute the television. While you protest the unfairness of life in the United States, he will give thanks to God that he has the honor of defending his great country.

To the players of the NFL: We are the people who buy your tickets, watch you on TV, and wear your jerseys. We anxiously wait for Sundays so we can cheer for you and marvel at your athleticism. Although we love to watch you play, we care little about your opinions until you offend us. You have the absolute right to express yourselves, but we have the absolute right to boycott you. We have tolerated your drug use and DUIs, your domestic violence, and your vulgar displays of wealth. We should be ashamed for putting our admiration of your physical skills before what is morally right. But now you have gone too far. You have insulted our flag, our country, our soldiers, our police officers, and our veterans. You are living the American dream, yet you disparage our great country. I am done with NFL football and encourage all like minded Americans to boycott the NFL as well.

National boycott of the NFL for Sunday November 12th, Veterans Day Weekend. Boycott all football telecast, all fans, all ticket holders, stay away from attending any games. Pass this post along to all your friends and family. Honor our military, some of whom come home with the American Flag draped over their coffin.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, TripleGGG said:

I watch sports for entertainment and to escape the craziness of life. Once they wanted to make statements I was out. That's more of the same crap everyday. I support anyone's right to protest. I have the right to choose what I will put up with for entertainment. 

Well you do have the option to not watch the anthem...Just turn the TV on at the kickoff...problem solved.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Bob T said:

As veteran, I support peaceful protest of something that really is an issue.

While your service is appreciated, your position is bewildering. You need to re-read RED333's post again.

Edited by Steelharp
For Erik
3 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

While your service is appreciated, your cluelessness is bewildering. You need to re-read RED333's post again.

You are awful quick to throw out insults lately. 

Just because you don't agree with him doesn't mean he's "clueless".

7 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

You are awful quick to throw out insults lately. 

Just because you don't agree with him doesn't mean he's "clueless".

Replace it with "position," if it makes you feel better. No insult was meant, simply an observation.

Did it for you. My apologies to anyone offended.

Edited by Steelharp
14 hours ago, Bob T said:

Don't feel bad for me. I don't miss football at all, and it gives me more time for more important things in life.

As a veteran, (although I don't think that's a qualifier for anyone's opinion on the matter), a BLACK professor says the "issue" is bull :poop: The statistics do not bear it out. In other words it's a made-up issue.

It's always been about the men and women who have served, bleed and died for us ALL. Standing and placing your right hand over your heart is the least you can do! If you have served, you know it's a tough job and the fear that runs through your body is indescribable and the loss of a battle buddy is devastating. When the barbarians storm the gates, it OUR military who will be there manning the barricades for us ALL. Unless of course, the militia is called upon ( locked and loaded!). Like my mother told us, "there is a time and place for everything." The NFL choose the wrong time and place to protest and disrespect the country, the flag, the national anthem and most importantly our military and veterans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Steelharp said:

While your service is appreciated, your position is bewildering. You need to re-read RED333's post again.

Thank you. I did re-read REDs post twice, and it really doesn't change my position. I will always support PEACEFUL protests...

But I thank all of you for allowing my to state my position, without getting curb stomped...

Understand, I do respect your right to protest the protests...

Edited by Bob T
16 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

Don't feel bad for me. I don't miss football at all, and it gives me more time for more important things in life.

As a veteran, (although I don't think that's a qualifier for anyone's opinion on the matter), a BLACK professor says the "issue" is bull :poop: The statistics do not bear it out. In other words it's a made-up issue.

So you agree with Mike Ditka?

2 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

I wouldn't know since I don't know what he said on the matter.

Sorry, I should have included his quote...

Former NFL tight end and head coach Mike Ditka said Monday "there has been oppression in the last 100 year that I know of"

And I really don't think you believe this...

Da Coach, has pulled back on this statement since Monday...