Buck 110 Auto

So, Buck itself is finally offering the venerable 110 model as an auto. Just had to have one, because, well, just because.

Will be here in a few days, 140 clams from Blade HQ (vs $200 directly from Buck's site).

maxresdefault.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 5
  • Moderators

A while back I purchased amongst many, many knives about 3-4 of the Buck conversions. They were really near. Sold them as I had no use for them and it was before the TN knife laws changed.

Now I wish I had kept them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

A while back I purchased amongst many, many knives about 3-4 of the Buck conversions. They were really near. Sold them as I had no use for them and it was before the TN knife laws changed.

Now I wish I had kept them.

Reading up some, I see where some of the conversions didn't hold up well. Something about how the pin/latch were just anchored into the grips or whatever. Apparently, any of the ones that you'd just press the button again to close were suspect over time.

Buck has apparently done this one well, as you still need to press the lock back release to close it, not just use the button. In other words it remains the same solid lockback model it always has been. Makes sense they'd have to be pretty confident with how they've done it, what with forever warranty and all.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

There have been custom shops and and conversions availabile for about 4-5 years now.  Glad to see Buck finally offers a factory auto.

I bought one 10-12 years ago, and it works great. The button only opens it, you need to use the lock back to close it. Of course these things are way more fun and useful, since I moved from IL to TN.

23781335818_91b0a78e15_c.jpg

• Like 1

I almost bought a 110 at Walmart the other day as I've never had one and they going for $30.  I've had a 112 since I was a kid and started thinking the 110 was just something I needed, it being a classic and all.  This right here might just be what I need.

Like Garufa, I keep thinking that a 110 is something I just plain 'need' because it is considered such a classic.  I have my dad's 110 but wouldn't carry it for fear of losing it.  I also have a Schrade Old Timer knife that looks almost identical which my sister found for me used (I have always liked the old, pre-Taylor, USA made Schrade knives, in some cases better than even Case pocket knives.)  I never carry that Schrade, either - for probably the same reason I haven't talked myself into buying a new 110.  To me, the handle is just too big and bulky for such a relatively small blade.  Now, when I say 'small', keep in mind that my EDC is a Spyderco Resilience.  The blade to handle size ratio is much better than a 110, the handle isn't nearly as bulky in my pocket as a 110 even though the blade is larger than the 110 and I don't need a belt pouch in order to carry it more comfortably.  For now, $140 for the factory auto version is a little rich for my blood considering it is still pretty much a 110.  However, if the price comes down a little over time I think it just might be the thing that gets me to buy and carry a 110.  A knife that, to the casual observer, looks like grandpa's working knife and doesn't have the 'scary tacticool' look of many auto knives but which is, in fact, an auto knife would be pretty cool.  Kind of a 'stealth' auto, I guess.

• Like 2
On 10/10/2017 at 11:48 PM, Oh Shoot said:

So, Buck itself is finally offering the venerable 110 model as an auto. Just had to have one, because, well, just because.

Will be here in a few days, 140 clams from Blade HQ (vs $200 directly from Buck's site).

maxresdefault.jpg

- OS

You should have asked my friend, I would have gave you the same price as Blade HQ with my best Wicked Edge on it, I assure you that you would  like that much better!

Edited by willis68
On 10/12/2017 at 12:35 AM, willis68 said:

You should have asked my friend, I would have gave you the same price as Blade HQ with my best Wicked Edge on it, I assure you that you would  like that much better!

Turns out wish I had, assuming you check them out before sending along.

Knife came quickly, flawless cosmetically.

Mostly bad news though -- quite a bit of play on open blade both horizontally and especially vertically, where pressing the blade down as if cutting actually raises the lockback spine significantly. Have never seen anything even near this poor on any 110 I've ever handled, got a couple of the classics myself, plus a PaperStone version also.

Also, the opening is "okay" but rather anemic IMHO.  None of these traits mentioned anywhere in reviews, so hopefully is just an outlier. Hard to see how it got beyond Buck quality control, but on the other hand I've had to send back a couple of other US made Bucks within the last 6-8 years also, so whatever.

Real bummer. Blade HQ would have taken it back for refund, but didn't really want to swap it, since it ain't really "broke" in any clearcut sense, and of course in fairness to them this could be part of a bad run they got in stock or something, so no guarantee the next one would be different, so I didn't press the point with them.  Only realistic option is to send to Buck for fixing or replacement. Sigh.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
8 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

Mostly bad news though -- quite a bit of play on open blade both horizontally and especially vertically, where pressing the blade down as if cutting actually raises the lockback spine significantly. Have never seen anything even near this poor on any 110 I've ever handled, got a couple of the classics myself, plus a PaperStone version also.

Also, the opening is "okay" but rather anemic IMHO.  None of these traits mentioned anywhere in reviews, so hopefully is just an outlier. Hard to see how it got beyond Buck quality control, but on the other hand I've had to send back a couple of other US made Bucks within the last 6-8 years also, so whatever.

Real bummer. Blade HQ would have taken it back for refund, but didn't really want to swap it, since it ain't really "broke" in any clearcut sense, and of course in fairness to them this could be part of a bad run they got in stock or something, so no guarantee the next one would be different, so I didn't press the point with them.  Only realistic option is to send to Buck for fixing or replacement. Sigh.

- OS

I only handled 1 and it had quite a bit of Blade Play as well, my initial impression was not good, but you have to remember I own a ton of Protechs so I guess I expect perfection in my automatics these days,

On 10/11/2017 at 7:36 AM, Bob T said:

I bought one 10-12 years ago, and it works great. The button only opens it, you need to use the lock back to close it. Of course these things are way more fun and useful, since I moved from IL to TN.

23781335818_91b0a78e15_c.jpg

I have an older one that looks like that......

25 minutes ago, Fourtyfive said:

I have an older one that looks like that......

I bought mine used, so it could be older. The other side of the blade is etched "Cumberland Mountain Knife & Tool"

It is hard to read in the picture

37691862131_defb7bdfaa_c.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2017 at 11:42 PM, Oh Shoot said:

- OS

Replacement came today, took about a month. Pretty much rock solid vertical lock up, horizontal okay, that does vary some from knife to knife on the 110s. Also, a bit zippier opening, but no danger of it jumping out of your hand or anything like some higher end ones. And of course, the same classy and gorgeous  110 design.  So all in all, pretty happy with it, glad to have one.

I really like Buck and like buying Mericun when I can, but must say I've sent back at least 4 knives in the last 10 years or so for fixing/replacing, so that sucks.

I might well have still been carrying a 110 all these years if I hadn't gotten hooked on having a clip version. Speaking of which (in addition to a Buck Cadet in front pocket), I've been carrying a Buck Vantage "hybrid" for some time now (discontinued black aluminum scales from a Force with an Sanvik blade from an Avid). Besides being an overall fine choice for EDC, the Vantage pocket clip is really aces, rides as low as possible).

BuckVantageAvid-Clip1.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot