My Best Friend

bersaguy

40 minutes ago, Raoul said:

Don't let her suffer. That's the only advice I can give. You'll know when it's time.

Thank you my friend for that. I will never left her suffer. At the present time other than the fact that she is drinking more water than normal and going out to urinate more often which the Vet said that was probably being caused by her Diabetes more than anything else. I asked her if that would include pain and her reply was most likely not. I have had Kasey 17 years and I can tell any changes in her almost imediately and I am seeing no/zero pain or suffering. We went out for walk in the back yard yesterday and she saw arabbit and broke into a run chasing it back into the fence row. She turned and looked at me waiting for my laugh of approval as she always does and I laughed and she did that 2 more times on our walk.  Until things like that go away I will not do anything to hurt our trust and bond...............JMHO

• Like 2

I know diabetes is tough for a human, let alone a good dog that wouldn't understand the need for shots, or the need to give up her favorite foods. I would just try to limit any high carb foods to try to protect her eye sight and brain function. Mine got up to over 800 when I was diagnosed and it messed my head up until they got it under control I couldn't think literally and it messed my eyes up enough that I have to wear glasses all the time now.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Johnny Rotten said:

I've done the insulin shots for one of my dogs many years ago, its no big deal and the dog really doesn't feel it.

believe it or not my personal heath plan allowed me to purchase insulin and needles on my health plan.

I told my vet that I am also diabetic and I have a ton of syringes but she insisted I use theirs cause mine would not work on her. Funny they work on me just fine every night before bed.

Well, I gave her the first shot and she did not react to it as I did it like the Vet told me to do. This morning after her breakfast I knelt down beside her to give her the seond shot and she pulled away from me and would not let me near her and was banging on the screen door wanting to go out so I let her out. it took me almost 3 hours to get her to come to me and only because I showed her I had nothing in my hands. I have regained her trust and I won't lose it again.

Her trust in me is far more important at this time in her life than damn shot..............JMHO

• Like 1

I with through a similar thing with my wife’s cat a few years ago.  Stoke, blindness, kidney failure, having to stick an IV in her every other day.  It was a long (and expensive) decline.  Wife would not accept doing what should have been done and I hated watching that poor cat go on like that. Her quality of life the last few months was nonexistent. She died quietly and her ashes are now in a decorative little tin on one of the dressers upstairs.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I with through a similar thing with my wife’s cat a few years ago.  Stoke, blindness, kidney failure, having to stick an IV in her every other day.  It was a long (and expensive) decline.  Wife would not accept doing what should have been done and I hated watching that poor cat go on like that. Her quality of life the last few months was nonexistent. She died quietly and her ashes are now in a decorative little tin on one of the dressers upstairs.

Kasey will never go through that! I promise that with all my heart and soul but right now those signs are just not there and believe me I am watching for them every time I watch her move or sleep. She is just about to get a plate of Hamburger I cooked up to make some spagetti sauce for me later. I always cook enough for both.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Kasey will never go through that! I promise that with all my heart and soul but right now those signs are just not there and believe me I am watching for them every time I watch her move or sleep. She is just about to get a plate of Hamburger I cooked up to make some spagetti sauce for me later. I always cook enough for both.

I, we if I may be so bold as to speak for others, have no doubt you’ll do the right thing for Kasey.

• Like 3

@bersaguy I understand why the vet is giving you the options.  Some people will take every last moment with their faithful pet feeling it's not that bad for the animal, others will give the gift of mercy as they know it.  Hard to fault either when emotions like this are involved.

You've been adamant from the start that you'll do what you feel is right for Kasey.  Follow your heart, and you know we'll all be here for you, come what may.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 2
Just now, Garufa said:

I, we if I may be so bold as to speak for others, have no doubt you’ll do the right thing for Kasey.

Thank you and no need to doubt that. She is right now number one in my life and I am not going any place but spending time with her here.  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, btq96r said:

@bersaguy I understand why the vet is giving you the options.  Some people will take every last moment with their faithful pet feeling it's not that bad for the animal, others will give the gift of mercy as they know it.  Hard to fault either when emotions like this are involved.

You've been adamant from the start that you'll do what you feel is right for Kasey.  Follow your heart, and you know we'll all be here for you, come what may.

First thing I did was ask the Vet what signs I should look for and she said she will have trouble getting up when laying down and will begin losing interests in things she has always done. She will not respond to you talking to her. Not attentive. So far I have not seen any of those in her but when I do I will know it's time. I am not one to allow anything to suffer, especially as much as I care about her.

• Like 3

First off I want to thank all the folks here for their kind and caring replies to what is taking place in my life right now. I also want to say Thanks to all the folks that have sent funds to help with Kaseys needs. I think I have finally been able to send each of you a PM thanking you but it is kinda hard connecting screen names to actual names so if I missed sending you a PM it was only because I don't know your screen name. If I missed any one please send me a PM.

• Like 2
On 10/14/2017 at 3:59 PM, bersaguy said:

I told my vet that I am also diabetic and I have a ton of syringes but she insisted I use theirs cause mine would not work on her. Funny they work on me just fine every night before bed.

Most likely y'all have different insulin concentrations.  One of the common insulins used in dogs requires a U-40 syringe, while many (most?) human insulins require a U-100 syringe.  If you use the wrong syringe, the dose will be dramatically different.  U-100 insulin is more concentrated, so using a U-100 syringe with a U-40 insulin would require some conversion.  So it is possible, but not simple to use different syringes.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, dawgdoc said:

Most likely y'all have different insulin concentrations.  One of the common insulins used in dogs requires a U-40 syringe, while many (most?) human insulins require a U-100 syringe.  If you use the wrong syringe, the dose will be dramatically different.  U-100 insulin is more concentrated, so using a U-100 syringe with a U-40 insulin would require some conversion.  So it is possible, but not simple to use different syringes.

Yes, my vet explained that all to me and I did understand. I spoke with her again today about things I could do to make it easier for me to give it to her because she is so smart if she sees me drawing the needle to give her the shot she won't eat her supper and hides under the bed and she has to eat to get the shot. She told me to roll the bottle like I was told to and then draw and fill about 3 and keep them in the fridge and get it out while she is eating and not paying attention and that worked tonight. We will see what tomorrow brings with her morning meal. She does not seem to react to it so far if she does not see me with it when I give her the shot. She said not to try and get her to take the antibodics because it tramatizes her to much. She said if she begins reacting to the shots DC those also so she does not get tramatized and we will just take it from day to day now.