GEN 3 Glock Grip and Short Fingers

guyver60

I've struggled to shoot the Glock 19 consistently in regards to where the rounds hit the target.  My rounds are grouped, but often are left of and slightly lower than the bullseye on a target.  I don't have that problem with a 1911 style handgun.  I'm starting to wonder if it's not the combination of my short fingers and sort of a fat pad below my thumb, that does not work with the grip on the Gen 3.  My finger just reaches the trigger without being able to really curl it around the trigger.  I assume that what I'm doing is pushing the gun slightly to the left, as I pull the trigger?  I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if there is enough difference with the smallest grip of a GEN 4 to make a difference.  I'm going to take my Gen 3 to a store to compare to a Gen 4 and/or 5, but thought I would see if anyone has experienced the same issue.

Low left shots are very common with Glocks.  Different grips and finger placement work differently, obviously, for everyone.  I’ve noticed with myself if I’m hitting low left with my Glock it’s because I have too much finger on the trigger and the fat part of my trigger finger closest to my palm is pushing the pistol left.  Sounds like you’re doing the same thing.  For me it’s just an adjustment because I have large hands.  A gen. 4 might work for you, can’t hurt to try or maybe Glocks just aren’t for you, there are other great options out there.

Low left is probably the most common thing from any rh shooter.. I have large hands and shoot my g19 best with the very tip of my finger... those charts can be useful, but i wouldnt use them as the gold standard obviously something that simple is probably not going to tell you everything in every case... i find if im really concentrating i pull groups in tight where i want but if i shoot fast or am not really focused on my fundamentals i will drift low left... the more practice the better ive gotten at this not being a problem

Actually, I went through a three day course with a Gunsite instructor, but it was 25 years ago.  I was shooting a CZ75 back then.  After looking at a couple of videos and based on the feedback here, I'm going to play with my grip and see if I can fix my issue.  

I found my low-left problem to be anticipating recoil with my support hand. So I practiced shooting one handed (really slowly) a bit and my accuracy/consistency improved.  Then I added my support hand back with a light grip and slowly added tension to improve recoil control. 

Basically, I learned that the "crush the gun" idea doesn't work for me, or takes more practice.