Fun things to do Chattanooga

ReeferMac

My daughter has a softball tournament in 'Nooga on Sunday.

My  Parents are in town visiting, and want to watch their grand-daughter play, but won't be able to wait through an entire tournament (i.e. 3-4 games).

What adult-friendly activities can we look into to kill a couple hours, not cost an arm and a leg (aka Aquarium's out), and not be overly strenuous (we can do a little walking, but not a lot)

- K

The Wrecker Museum is fun. If you can swing it though, I can't suggest the aquarium enough. 

I have been to four of the top rated aquariums in the US, Monterrey Bay (IMO the best,) National, Ripley's and Chattanooga. If you can make it, do it.

I am a fan of zoos and aquariums though. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

Thanks for the great ideas!

I like aquariums also (kept a saltwater reef aquarium myself for 20 yrs - thus the screen name), but my parents don't share the interest, and at their age, lots of walking is challenging. My oldest went w/ his school, and we plan on doing that w the kids one of these days.

Rock city sound like it might work (that's the mtn. view where you can see 7 states, right?), as of course, I've seen the advertisements (have YOU seen rock city?)

Thanks.

9 hours ago, TripleGGG said:

I had 1200 gallons of saltwater tanks and reef tanks at one time. Now I don't have a single tank. Had to move too much last few years. 

That would have been nice! One tank? My last one was a 230-gal custom Starfire tank w/ euro-bracing, gorgeous glass... 1400 watts of halides, 45-gal sump and a 65-gal refugium. Sucker started leaking on me one day shortly before we moved a while back, and for the next 7-years I just ran the old refugium and sump as a 'hobby' tank in the basement (e.g. it was way too ugly to display anything, but I still enjoyed messing around). I've still got that old tank, and a bucket of my old live rock, ballasts, etc... One of these days I might set it up again, but who knows. Kids take all my time and money now, not to mention the hit my ammo-budget would have to take!

- K

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, ReeferMac said:

That would have been nice! One tank? My last one was a 230-gal custom Starfire tank w/ euro-bracing, gorgeous glass... 1400 watts of halides, 45-gal sump and a 65-gal refugium. Sucker started leaking on me one day shortly before we moved a while back, and for the next 7-years I just ran the old refugium and sump as a 'hobby' tank in the basement (e.g. it was way too ugly to display anything, but I still enjoyed messing around). I've still got that old tank, and a bucket of my old live rock, ballasts, etc... One of these days I might set it up again, but who knows. Kids take all my time and money now, not to mention the hit my ammo-budget would have to take!

- K

Several tanks. I had a 250 gallon built into a wall. True reef setup with 7 halides on timers to simulate sun pattern, wave action, etc etc etc. No telling how much I had in that tank. Better than any TV I ever had. Could sit and watch for hours. Would love to get back into it.  

Amen to that! Didn't have cable for years because....  That would have been neat to see the halides on timers like that? I played around w/ the moonlight LED's a little, and had Sea Swirls on the Iwaki return pump. Grew hard corals like mad, had all kinds of things spawning. Remarkable 'hobby'. I miss it too!

• Like 1