That It for Butch?

Oh Shoot

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

Further proof of the lack of maturity and discipline our team has.

I had no expectations going into this game so it’s not exactly a surprise we lost, but Butch is gone.  I like the guy but he simply cannot put together an SEC caliber program. 

Perfect little NFL wannabes

9 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

Again . . . $14 MILLION to get rid of Butch . . . plus whatever UT has to pay the next guy. Unless a booster comes along and offers to pay a big chunk of that bill, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get another year.

Lawson Athletic Center at 300+ mill was primarily private donations, so yes a booster or two probably have the walking change to get him gone.

5 hours ago, Hozzie said:

Money is not the issue. Chump change in a program like this.

I was trying to figure that out w/ the kids when we were there for the gamecocks.... We sat in the nose-bleeds, $40-a-pop. The lower seats were $70/ea. 100,000+ seats in the stadium, split about half-n-half.

50,000 x $40 = $2,000,000

50,000 x $70 = 3,500,000

$5.5 million in tickets (not counting skyboxes (+), season tix (-), etc.), and at 6 clams for a bottle of water, they probably made a jillion on concessions...

Still a couple games worth of ticket sales to get rid of the guy. It's gotta hurt (whether they can afford it or not is still debatable).

I'd wager he finishes the season, but think that might be it.

Wonder if the new guy will park his 550 over by the dumpsters, too?

- K

2 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

I was trying to figure that out w/ the kids when we were there for the gamecocks.... We sat in the nose-bleeds, $40-a-pop. The lower seats were $70/ea. 100,000+ seats in the stadium, split about half-n-half.

50,000 x $40 = $2,000,000

50,000 x $70 = 3,500,000

$5.5 million in tickets (not counting skyboxes (+), season tix (-), etc.), and at 6 clams for a bottle of water, they probably made a jillion on concessions...

Still a couple games worth of ticket sales to get rid of the guy. It's gotta hurt (whether they can afford it or not is still debatable).

I'd wager he finishes the season, but think that might be it.

Wonder if the new guy will park his 550 over by the dumpsters, too?

- K

Ticket sales/concessions are the crumbs of the money.  TN Football made (Profit) $121 Million in 2015 according to Forbes.  I am sure that is higher now.  

Whether they can afford it is not debatable.  Most have no idea how much money these programs bring in.  If you want something crazier, the only programs who brought in more in 2015 was Texas and Notre Dame.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2015/12/22/college-footballs-most-valuable-teams-2015-texas-notre-dame-and-tennessee/#238f441154f8

Edited by Hozzie

The boosters are the ones who will pay for Butch's early exit, or suffer him for another year.  Think of them as the Board of Directors, and the Athletic Director as a CEO with each spots head coaches as other C-Suite officers for how the power structure works.  Once in a while you get a transcendent coach who can have the same power as the AD and have the boosters give them the benefit of several doubts (think Saban at Alabama), but it takes wins aplenty for that kind of wasta to develop.

5 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

If I were coach, that would qualify as "conduct unbecoming of a Student Athlete", you're off the team, goodbye scholarship.

First thing Monday morning.

That's pretty extreme punishment given the crime.  Remember, these are still 18-23yr old young men, and 18-23yr old young men make all kinds of boneheaded mistakes. 

Have him spend some more time running laps or some measure of chores in the locker room after practice, sure. But don't upend someone from what is usually the best chance to get ahead in life for a mistake they can learn from.

Edited by btq96r
3 hours ago, btq96r said:

That's pretty extreme punishment given the crime.  Remember, these are still 18-23yr old young men, and 18-23yr old young men make all kinds of boneheaded mistakes. 

Have him spend some more time running laps or some measure of chores in the locker room after practice, sure. But don't upend someone from what is usually the best chance to get ahead in life for a mistake they can learn from.

I understand feeling that way and respect your opinion, but I see these kids just about every day of the week. Some exude the maturity and attitude you would like them to have, and other's swagger around like their s*** doesn't stink. You're not going to 'correct' this individual's attitude by giving them time to think about their actions. You're contributing to the entitled society known as the National Felon's League. Were I a booster, I would demand nothing less than their removal from the team. It's an embarrassment to the University, the Athletic Program, and the rest of this State. Particularly given their poor performance! Some kid gets fired from the team because he got injured in a game, they run a tox-screen at the hospital, and find out he smoked a J at a party. He doesn't get a second chance to think about the repercussions of his actions, despite the fact that his actions harmed nobody. Makes no sense. Each of these students are given the opportunity of a lifetime, no doubt, some more so than others, but in my opinion that still does not excuse behaviour such as this in front of a national audience. I wouldn't allow my 14-year old to act that way! They've been 'coached' on what behaviour is acceptable, they're told to follow certain rules, especially when the TV camera's are on. Fire the bum, and make room for another individual to have the 'opportunity of a lifetime', that is more mature, appreciative, and will benefit more so from the rewards. This punk should go back to the gutter they dragged him out of. Just my 2-cents, no offense meant to anyone.

- K

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, ReeferMac said:

I understand feeling that way and respect your opinion, but I see these kids just about every day of the week. Some exude the maturity and attitude you would like them to have, and other's swagger around like their s*** doesn't stink. You're not going to 'correct' this individual's attitude by giving them time to think about their actions. You're contributing to the entitled society known as the National Felon's League. Were I a booster, I would demand nothing less than their removal from the team.

I spent a all of 2015 and 2016 working directly with college football players (freshman to be exact) on academics while I was in college, and I understand what you mean by the entitlement attitude.  In a lot of ways, it was like having Privates fresh out of basic training, and I looked at any I viewed accordingly needing simple but fast corrective action.  Whenever we had a problem with players in class or study hall where our getting on them didn't work, we let their coaches know, and they took care of it for us.  We moved on, and my players knew I wasn't holding grudges or punishing them for last weeks dumbass attack.

On a practical level, tossing a player for what are really minor disciplinary events will make recruiting a problem as that kind of word gets around and will be used as a point against a school.  We had players that were kicked off the team, but for deep behavioral issues that were beyond correction or situations that involved criminal charges.

3 hours ago, btq96r said:

I spent a all of 2015 and 2016 working directly with college football players (freshman to be exact) on academics while I was in college, and I understand what you mean by the entitlement attitude.  In a lot of ways, it was like having Privates fresh out of basic training, and I looked at any I viewed accordingly needing simple but fast corrective action.  Whenever we had a problem with players in class or study hall where our getting on them didn't work, we let their coaches know, and they took care of it for us.  We moved on, and my players knew I wasn't holding grudges or punishing them for last weeks dumbass attack.

On a practical level, tossing a player for what are really minor disciplinary events will make recruiting a problem as that kind of word gets around and will be used as a point against a school.  We had players that were kicked off the team, but for deep behavioral issues that were beyond correction or situations that involved criminal charges.

I agree with respect to the attitudes. They are still kids, but at the same time, they've got to grasp the idea that they have to be responsible for their own actions. 

As for the booting them from the team causing recruiting difficulty... the last decade of poor performance has taken care of that. I'd say that contributes significantly to the issues (such as the photo above) they have with the kids on the team now. 

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, peejman said:

As for the booting them from the team causing recruiting difficulty... the last decade of poor performance has taken care of that. I'd say that contributes significantly to the issues (such as the photo above) they have with the kids on the team now. 

That, and the way poor behaviour is tolerated!

One guy got caught w/ drugs, and an inebriated minor on his way back to the dorms driving the wrong way down a one-way street?! Charges? Dropped. What does that say about the organization?: I don't care how fast your 40-time is, it's clearly not helping the team's win-record, and these kinds of actions do more to hurt the University and community, than anything that individual does on the field. Conversely you get players like Dobbs, who are a shining example of the kind of talent we should be trying to recruit.

FWIW, "The Rock" had a tombstone w/ "RIP BUTCH" painted on it this morning, but it was too dark for me to take a picture.

2 hours ago, Garufa said:

I hate to say it but this is pretty funny.  I feel Steve’s pain.

If Peyton comes to coach there would be nothing left of East Tennessee do to all the heads that exploded in Knoxvegas.

I personally think it might happen. But not soon.

Edited by Murgatroy
  • Haha 1

The oddsmakers like ESPN pundit Jon Gruden’s chances of being the next football coach at the University of Tennessee.

He’s currently sitting at +800, meaning a wager of $100 would pay out $800. He’s tied for fifth as the most likely to be calling the shots for the Volunteers when Butch Jones gets fired. He initially opened at +2,000.

The rumors of Jon Gruden going to Tennessee have been steadily growing for weeks. I initially wrote there wasn’t a great chance he’d ever coach again. However, I’m starting to take a second look at the entire situation, and my opinion is slowly starting to change.

If the Volunteers can cut a big check, give him the staff he wants and stay out of way, I could then see something coming together. Oddsmakers are rarely wrong, and his substantial shift upward is a sign that Gruden to Tennessee is now very real.

http://smokeroom.com/2017/10/24/oddsmakers-like-jon-grudens-chances-of-being-the-next-tennessee-coach/

The Gruden and Manning rumors are just wishful thinking.

Gruden already gets paid more than UT can afford for doing very little actual work. On what planet would he want to quit his cushy day job to take on the 20/7 job of cleaning up a decade of disaster?

Manning already has more money than he knows what to do with. His aspirations are far bigger than trying to coaching a team out of the dumpster.  

UT has got to stop looking for instant glory and find someone who can rebuild the program by  motivating the kids to perform to a high moral standard both on and off the field.  That's gonna take a few years and the fan base is gonna have to accept that. 

6 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Fat chance of that happening. Our expectations are completely unrealistic IMO...

Bama almost got the NCAA death sentence in 2002, severely penalized over the next several years with scholarships zapped, no bowl games for 3 years, etc, yet only took 7 years to win another national championship.

Over the last 9 years, we've had no probs in that regard, have had several of the best recruiting classes in the nation, and have only had one winning season in conference play, let alone contend for anything higher.

- OS

• Like 1