That It for Butch?

Oh Shoot

At least

46 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Man.  

I thought Vanderbilt might have the heart to win today - but I wouldn’t have bet on them beating UT that soundly.  

That’s a pretty embarrassing end to and an embarrassing season for the Vols.  

C'mon, they set an all time school record that can never be topped: 0 SEC wins in a season.

- OS

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
29 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

At least

C'mon, they set an all time school record that can never be topped: 0 SEC wins in a season.

- OS

Yeah, truthfully that has more to do with the fact that UT just doesn’t make it onto my radar screen.  Vanderbilt hasn’t had much of a season, so it’s hard to imagine a team being bad enough to get spanked that soundly.  

11 hours ago, Garufa said:

Shame, humiliation, disgrace, etc.,etc.

Congrats to Coach Don Cheadle and the Commododes for not being the worst team in the SEC.

It was like our own little bowl game....the toilet bowl. A game for last place. It's sad when you look at it that way. Sad for both teams.

Look at it this way. They were playing for last place, and Vandy couldn't even take that title.:D

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2

Well, here's a nice little rumor: :cool:

Dallas Cowboys star tight end Jason Witten is willing to leave the organization to coach the Tennessee Volunteers.

Clay Travis broke the news Monday when he tweeted, “As the Tennessee search redirects, I’m told current Dallas Cowboy tight end Jason Witten has let Tennessee athletic director John Currie know he would leave the Cowboys to take over the Tennessee football job.”

Tennessee’s coaching situation has spiraled out of control after a fan revolt led the team pulling back on the hiring of Greg Schiano. It’s the only time in the history of football I can remember a coach losing his job before even having it due to massive fan outrage.

The only thing more unbelievable with what happened with Schiano would be if Witten quits the Cowboys to coach college football. This situation is getting so wild that it’s too unrealistic for a movie script. I have no idea how this is going to end, but it’s going to be nuts no matter what happens.

http://smokeroom.com/2017/11/27/a-certain-dallas-cowboys-star-could-be-the-next-tennessee-volunteers-coach/

If their first choice is any indication as to who we will end up with then I'm extremely disappointed. I had never even heard of Schiano and when I looked him up and saw his 68-67 record at Rutgers I couldn't help but laugh. Great job Currie!!!

8 minutes ago, Johnny Rotten said:

This happened

http://fanbuzz.com/college-football/sec/tennessee/jon-gruden-vols-job-rumor/

My daughter goes to UT she has a friend who knows Michael.....

Seems ancient history at this point unless Gruden changes his mind.

There is still this recent story though:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jon-gruden-talking-to-tennessee-volunteers-about-coaching-vacancy/

Of course "according to sources" generally means "somebody has wishful thinking".

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

25 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Seems ancient history at this point unless Gruden changes his mind.

There is still this recent story though:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jon-gruden-talking-to-tennessee-volunteers-about-coaching-vacancy/

Of course "according to sources" generally means "somebody has wishful thinking".

- OS

It's just money$$$$$$$$$$$$ maybe 11mil will do it...lol

Tis the season.....

13 hours ago, Erik88 said:

If their first choice is any indication as to who we will end up with then I'm extremely disappointed. I had never even heard of Schiano and when I looked him up and saw his 68-67 record at Rutgers I couldn't help but laugh. Great job Currie!!!

Shiano's overall record isn't great, but look at it by year. He started with a team that was perinially about 2-11and made them a (mostly) winning program in about 5 years. No small feat for a school that's never been known for having a good football program.  

Penn State connections aside, what he did with Rutgers is exactly what UT needs. 

12 hours ago, peejman said:

Shiano's overall record isn't great, but look at it by year. He started with a team that was perinially about 2-11and made them a (mostly) winning program in about 5 years. No small feat for a school that's never been known for having a good football program.  

Penn State connections aside, what he did with Rutgers is exactly what UT needs. 

I agree that he did better than a 50% record appears at Rutgers.  I disagree that he is what UT needs.  His demeanor and coaching style is way too similar to what Butch Jones was for me to get behind him.  Currie had Schiano on his list to replace Snider at K state then comes to UT and uses the same list in a completely different program.  That to me is utter incompetence.  

Looks like Mullets are the new Gruden ;)

16 hours ago, Lumber_Jack said:

I agree that he did better than a 50% record appears at Rutgers.  I disagree that he is what UT needs.  His demeanor and coaching style is way too similar to what Butch Jones was for me to get behind him.  Currie had Schiano on his list to replace Snider at K state then comes to UT and uses the same list in a completely different program.  That to me is utter incompetence.  

Looks like Mullets are the new Gruden ;)

I don't know anything about his coaching style, I was just commenting on how he built Rutgers from basically nothing. 

From my outsider's perspective (I'm not a UT fan, I just live here), I see that they need a coach who won't recruit athletically talented hoodlums, and will impress upon his players that athletic participation at the highest level is a privilege and should be treated as such. 

Just now, peejman said:

I don't know anything about his coaching style, I was just commenting on how he built Rutgers from basically nothing. 

From my outsider's perspective (I'm not a UT fan, I just live here), I see that they need a coach who won't recruit athletically talented hoodlums, and will impress upon his players that athletic participation at the highest level is a privilege and should be treated as such. 

I actually think Butch did a really good job at recruiting talent that won't get arrested.  He just couldn't do the in-game coaching and talent development.  Greg Schiano was too close to Butch for many of the donors liking.  Currie was trying to pull a brother-in-law deal after Dan Mullen got snatched by Florida.  

Looks like the most likely guy now is Jeff Brohm from Purdue.  THAT is the exact type of coach UT needs.  He knows X's and Os and has proved it.  and he is a big enough change from Butch that we will at least see change, good or bad