That It for Butch?

Oh Shoot

OK at the risk of being flamed to hell and back.... how about we just teach in college? I know that these wonderfully gifted guys are going to get a great education while they play for the college at the same time, right?

I agree with soe that have said it is time to get back to playing being a privilege. Stop with the recruiting and other BS. 

As for who should be leading UT, well I think Mike Flynn is looking for a job. He can't do worse than Butch did!

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

I'd at the very least agree that college ball players should get a tuition waiver that allows them to matriculate towards a traditional degree at any point of their choosing in the future.

Sure, you've put in a ton of work to try to get a shot at the pros.  Take that shot.

But, we should recognize that most of these kids won't go pro - and a lot of our schools make it hard to be a student and an athlete.  We should do right by the players by giving them the chance to get the education that will serve them once their sports career is done.

2 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I'd at the very least agree that college ball players should get a tuition waiver that allows them to matriculate towards a traditional degree at any point of their choosing in the future.

Sure, you've put in a ton of work to try to get a shot at the pros.  Take that shot.

But, we should recognize that most of these kids won't go pro - and a lot of our schools make it hard to be a student and an athlete.  We should do right by the players by giving them the chance to get the education that will serve them once their sports career is done.

Just watching inteviews with some college athlete seniors is painful to say the least. 4 years of college and they still do not speak or articulate on the same level as most juniors in high school. Sad and telling. 

6 hours ago, tacops said:

It looks like the pool of possible coaches is getting very shallow...how about Mathew Mcconaughey?  It worked for Marshall :D

"This is Phil Fulmer, we're looking for a coach and you were 10th, I mean 2nd on our list".

• Like 1
7 hours ago, tacops said:

It looks like the pool of possible coaches is getting very shallow...how about Mathew Mcconaughey?  It worked for Marshall :D

SECRETARY
Actually, I did get a call this
morning. Hold on...here we are.
From a Jack Lengyel at the College
of Wooster. Said he wants to
interview.
PRESIDENT DEDMON
Where in the world is Wooster?
She holds out the phone message.
SECRETARY
Does it really matter?
Edited by bubbiesdad
  • Like 1

The University of Tennessee‘s circuitous head-coaching search, which has taken on just about every twist imaginable, is nearing an end, as the Volunteers are finalizing a deal with Alabama defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt, sources told ESPN.

Tennessee expects to announce Pruitt as its football coach on Thursday, and a press conference to introduce him is planned for later in the day. Sources told ESPN that Pruitt plans to stay on as Alabama’s defensive coordinator through the College Football Playoff, while pulling double duty as the Vols’ head coach and spearheading their recruiting efforts and putting together his staff at Tennessee.

http://smokeroom.com/2017/12/07/tennessee-has-reportedly-decided-on-its-next-football-coach/

I honestly think this is a really good hire, especially considering how it started.  This is like a phoenix rising from the ashes at this point.  I think he has a big upside and the potential to assemble a quality staff and really succeed.  of course, time will tell about actual measurable success, but he is a really good coach and developer of talent

1 hour ago, Lumber_Jack said:

I honestly think this is a really good hire, especially considering how it started.  This is like a phoenix rising from the ashes at this point.  I think he has a big upside and the potential to assemble a quality staff and really succeed.  of course, time will tell about actual measurable success, but he is a really good coach and developer of talent

Like a fair number of others, he's learned from the master.  Time will tell if he can beat him. 

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Garufa said:

We got a new coach, arright.  He talks like an Alabama boy, ok.  :lol:

Yep, and he stressed player education, while saying he "done" this and that too. Colleges down there don't teach that sort of stuff of course. ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
On 12/1/2017 at 9:09 AM, n0rlf said:

OK at the risk of being flamed to hell and back.... how about we just teach in college? I know that these wonderfully gifted guys are going to get a great education while they play for the college at the same time, right?

I agree with soe that have said it is time to get back to playing being a privilege. Stop with the recruiting and other BS. 

As for who should be leading UT, well I think Mike Flynn is looking for a job. He can't do worse than Butch did!

I've long advocated a semi-pro football league at the college age level, that has NOTHING to do with education, holding a GPA, or any of the other such  that colleges like to cloak their 'student-ATHLETES' with. A completely autonomous organization, with the college simply supplying the $, the team name, the logo, the facilities, and the fans. Likewise other aspects of collegiate educational malpractice (basketball, baseball, other).

Fish or cut bait... degree or sport.

And I know wherein I speak, having been raised in a college town. The alleged students (walking beerkegs) when I left in 1992 were the stupidest, most spoiled rotten, DUI evading, lumps of animal protein I had ever seen on two legs. I can only imagine the intervening quarter century could have only made it worse, but for the life of me, my imagination is insufficient to see how.

Oh, and if these characters go about kneeling for the National Anthem, time to be revoking scholarships, or have the NCAA taking away accreditations and/or post season slots.

13 minutes ago, SWCUMBERLAND said:

I've long advocated a semi-pro football league at the college age level, that has NOTHING to do with education, holding a GPA, or any of the other such  that colleges like to cloak their 'student-ATHLETES' with. A completely autonomous organization, with the college simply supplying the $, the team name, the logo, the facilities, and the fans. Likewise other aspects of collegiate educational malpractice (basketball, baseball, other).

Fish or cut bait... degree or sport.

And I know wherein I speak, having been raised in a college town. The alleged students (walking beerkegs) when I left in 1992 were the stupidest, most spoiled rotten, DUI evading, lumps of animal protein I had ever seen on two legs. I can only imagine the intervening quarter century could have only made it worse, but for the life of me, my imagination is insufficient to see how.

Oh, and if these characters go about kneeling for the National Anthem, time to be revoking scholarships, or have the NCAA taking away accreditations and/or post season slots.

Most of the other big sports have a minor league, why not football?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, peejman said:

Most of the other big sports have a minor league, why not football?

They do. It's called the NCAA. It costs them way less money than baseball's minor league does because bribes are way cheaper than supporting actual teams. 

5 hours ago, SWCUMBERLAND said:

We already have this.  It's called the SEC ...